OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m switching to AMSOIL

OK so I have now AMSOIL in my car and can tell you two things:

1 Car runs 10 deg cooler as it did before.

2 Car feels a lot soother and revs not as erratic as it did before.

I have NY VCA President with me and he said that he felt the difference. So marketing or not it works as advertised.

The only thing done was an oil/filter change at Lee Dodge.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That said, diesel oils would have shear stable VII, since they are used for 60,000 mile or more drain intervals.

you're in Richmond, know any Ethyl guys?

Tom, aren't some folks using like shell Rotella diesel oil in their passenger vehicles?
Any advantages or disadvantages?

No, I don't know any Ethyl folks, nice corporate HQ though downtown.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say put that thing on a dyno. If you can lower the operating temperature of an engine by 10 degrees via improved lubrication that you are on to an incredibly important find. Let's see. As I understand it the mechanical inefficiency in an engine is primarily dissipated via heat rejection. If we ignore the chemical side, as it would be quite a stretch to say the lubricant had a significant change in the combustion process, then this change in heat rejection is purely from friction reduction. All things held equal except for the operating temperature you indicated, a 10 degree reduction in operating temperature would result in almost a 10% reduction in heat rejection. Assuming that this is at a constant load (road speed, acceleration, etc) that would also equate to an nearly 10% increase in fuel economy and power.

Given that, put that sucker on a dyno. If you are correct the oil is worth more than a set of headers and catback exhaust. Along with more than a 1 mpg increase in fuel economy. And all for the price of oil:)

Sorry about running on but be realistic. It is claims like this that are quickly discounted that make the marketing of Amsoil seem to be more hype than reality.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJoe, that would be me. I've used Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, all available for about $6.30/gal at my local K-Mart.

Advantage-only a little more than passenger car oil for a lot more goodie in the oil, comes in gallons. SAE 15W40 is more than adequate bearing protection. Easy to find, can't get a "bad" diesel oil. Doesn't have same phosphorus restrictions as gasoline oils, so they have more of the classic anti-wear additives. In a diesel, need lots of dispersant to handle the soot that gets in the oil; more than you need in a gasoline application, but think of it as Mr. Clean for your engine. Tolerates prolonged high temperatures well (as in 500 hp turbodiesel at 1600 RPM service.)

Disadvantage- Mineral oil is 15W40, which is reasonable only for temperatures down to -20C / -4F. I've used it year round, since we only get to positive single digits. (Have 70K miles, been outside and driven every winter since '98) Diesel oil won't contain friction modifiers, since they have to meet certain transmission clutch performance requirements, therefore may lose 1-2% fuel economy.

Synthetic diesel is 5W40, an alternative if you start outside at lower temperatures. Rotella and Mobil Delvac 1 are reasonably easy to find.

formula1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most good synthetics will lower operating temps over convetional oil. In our race motors we saw the greatest temperature decrease with Redline. For spring and fall races we ended up having to tape up part of the radiators because they ran cooler. We never experienced cooler running with AMSOIL compared to other synthetics. Redline is IMO the better but personally I'd save the money and get Mobil One. If it's good enough for F1 race motors it will easily get the job done on a street motor. I've torn down street and race motors run with Mobil One and every spec was within factory tolerances, this was after several race weekends (for race motors) or 100K+ miles for street motors. All motor internals looked clean enough to eat off.

FWIW, one of my engine builders as tested in synthetics on the dyno and reported hp increases for every engine. However, the hp increases are not something you'd feel seat of the pants (perhaps 5-7 hp on a 240 hp Cosworth), but on a race car where every hp counts synthetics are best. On a street motor you will never notice the difference.

Interesting anecdote - in my college days I had a Trans Am and went skiing one weekend with it. It dislodged it's chin spoiler and I was sick at the time so I didn't notice that the temp gauge had gotten pinned for a while and the idiot light was bright red. I pulled over and did not figure out why it was overheating so I nursed it 100 miles alternating stop and go to keep it from overheating anymore. Long story short, I figured it out when I got home and the motor suffered no ill effects that I could discern from leakdowns (I was too poor to afford a new motor or rebuild so a teardown was out of the question). I attribute the prevention of a nuclear style melt down due to the use of Mobil One.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had Mobil 1 and changed it to ASMOIL. I'm not a dealer of oil or have any connections to the company nor I make any $ from this. So why would I lie about the facts. If it sucked I would say that.
If you don't believe my claim ask the Pres of NY VCA. We drove 200 miles together where 100 were on Mobil 1 and 100 on ASMOIL...he saw and felt the difference. He was so impressed that he bought the oil for his Viper.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Ran Amsoil for 4K miles -- and it varnished the damned motor.

Use the crap at your own risk...

Same experience here. Used it in one of my comanches for thousands upon thousands of miles and never had a problem, two oil changes into my Sub Brat and it destroied the motor. And I truely believed nothing was going to kill that thing off.

Sorry the Viper is way to precious for me to risk it.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ran Amsoil for 4K miles -- and it varnished the damned motor.

Use the crap at your own risk...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same experience here. Used it in one of my comanches for thousands upon thousands of miles and never had a problem, two oil changes into my Sub Brat and it destroied the motor. And I truely believed nothing was going to kill that thing off.

I find these two statements to be somewhat ludicrous. The first one has been posted here for years. Lubrication failure, especially in a street driven car, is almost never the cause of engine failure. In my life, I know of no one whose engine failed due to oil lubrication. That goes for regular as well as synthetic oil. That being said, if I were convinced that a motor oil caused my engine to fail, I would have a sample sent to an independent testing agency and would be suing the oil company for engine repairs.

This reminds of a guy I talked to about 25 years ago when synthetics were first
getting some recognition. He said "I'd never use synthetic oil in my vehicle....my brother rebuilds motors....he rebuilt 50 last year and one of them used synthetic oil. I'll never put that stuff in my vehicle"

Gee--what about the other 49? Did the petroleum oil ruin them?

Hey Ron,

One of the undisputed facts about synthetics is thermal stability. Engines can definitely run cooler with synthetic oil. I don't know the formulas like you, but it stands to reason that reduced friction with synthetics could translate to improved economy. I can't say I noticed too much difference just changing the motor oil, but my temp gauge is definitely running cooler with the transmission and rear end changed....at least half a bar less across all ambient temp. conditions. My MGW short throw shifter is much cooler to the touch in very hot weather. Somewhat unscientific, but quite a noticeable difference.

Steve

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ElDiablo,
I'm not saying that you are telling lies. I belive that you really think you can feel and see differences between your engine filled with Amsoil compared to Mobil1.

Fooling people is what Amsoil is all about and you have been fooled.
Don't take it so hard, happens to the best..all that.

Seriously, look at their marketing, it's all about excuses as to why it isn't sold, tested and marketed in the same way as other oils.

That shill you brought on the board, with his long canned pitch, is a typical salesman. Did you notice how he went out of his way to try to claim he wasn't a salesman?

ElDiablo, I'll ask you one more time,
Why would the US Army not use Amsoil?
Why wouldn't Amsoil be used by every big freight company?
Why wouldn't every big race team use Amsoil?

I'll bet they have a great excuse for each of these questions.