"Imported from Detroit"

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also most young car lovers really like mnm and no lil of detroit...most older car lovers know a bit about detroit and lil bout mnm....makes perfect sense to me.....im 31 and a big mnm fan...his music really used to pump us up in the army in the late 90s and early 2000s

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it would appear that I'm in the minority. I did not watch the Super Bowl, but I did see many of the commercials later.

I've been in the advertising business almost all my life and I do realize that that doesn't make my opinion worth any more than someone else's. However, I think Chrysler missed the mark with this commercial.

It reminds me of the first days of the Infiniti car brand when they showed rocks and trees as opposed to their product. Talking about Detroit is fine, I would like to see a day when Detroit is king of cars again (There are no import cars in my driveway or garage.) , but it didn't show product except for some very quick clips. How can one get excited about this new car, when I don't even see it? No information about the car whatsoever. Where is this new 200 going to be positioned? Rental car fleets? Again, no information in the ad.

I think most of the Super Bowl commercials were all about production value rather than product. I suppose it's more important to be the commercial everyone talks about the next day, as opposed to actually selling product. Perhaps these advertisers have forgotten the most important thing to remember with advertising...a customer wants to know, "what's in it for me?"

In my opinion, a much better commercial that told the story at the time is this one. And yes, I do remember those products and even had one of them. I think, and your mileage may vary, that this ad sold “Chrysler” far better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppKMomMP-4

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "the big game" ads are a tease, on an extremely grand level.
Catching a quick glimpse of several angles of the car (and a full frontal) is what that ad time is about. Toss in a popular public figure, esp. one with first-hand knowledge of the product or region, and you've got a good ad that will connect with many.

Some companies are blatant and don't have to tease (see Bud Light, Pepsi).
When debuting an entirely new product, you have to get people inquisitive. Perfect place is 60 or 120 seconds during "the big game".

Anyone else remember the HUGE Neon campaign?
They sold how many of those skittles?
Just checking.

EDIT:
I thought about the Iacocca ad and watched it again. That was a great sell. He, and the company, did a great job with that.
But times have changed. The minivan is no longer 'new'. The Lebaron GTS is now the Charger SRT-8.

Where Chrysler gets lucky is that they have Ralph. The guy knows cars: designing them, selling them, building them, and also driving (the psss out of :D ) them. Fortunately, he doesn't look like a stuffed suit (anyone ever seen him with a tie on?) or your cookie-cutter CEO. He can pull off impromptu speeches, make you laugh, drive faster than me, and the ladies seem to like him. He could easily do an ad like Lee did. Less as a spoof, and more as an update. It'd be sort of the same story: one foot in the grave- Chapter Two.
Hell, have Lee introduce Ralph. He golfed with Snoop, right? A walk-thru of a faux (or a real) factory would be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry Guys (don't hate me for my opinion)...this commercial lost my interest in the first 5 - 10 seconds when I saw it the first time during the game. In fact I walked away from the TV when it kept going on and on.

I had to watch it again from this forum before I realized what it was really all about. I agree a good message (history) about Detroit and Chrysler, but it did nothing for me that made me want to purchase their product.

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a good one. Some might say Chrysler didn't get the ROI on the advertisement...To me, I am just glad to see that Detriot is getting some possitive press period.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did MnN get the hair on his face laser"d off. The one shot of him in the car he looks like some ****.

Can I say ****?

Commercial feels like the beginning on Sopranos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21