In car video camera question

vipergts1960

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a video camera with a hard drive and apparently they have some sort of sensor that shuts the camera off after about 45 seconds of vibration while mounted in my car. It happened several times. Cameras with hard drives seem to be the latest and greatest, but they don't appear to work when mounted in a car. What kind of cameras are being used successfully? Thanks for any input.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a video camera with a hard drive and apparently they have some sort of sensor that shuts the camera off after about 45 seconds of vibration while mounted in my car. It happened several times. Cameras with hard drives seem to be the latest and greatest, but they don't appear to work when mounted in a car. What kind of cameras are being used successfully? Thanks for any input.

Yep, the HDD cameras have a shock sensor that locks the heads off the platter if it picks up sufficient force. It's trying to save the platters from a head-strike that ruins portions of the drive.

A camera that uses digital tape is probably best, disc second.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperGTS,
May I ask what video camera you bought?
I've been looking into different ones as well. I was hoping to stay away from tapes, so I started looking at the alternatives.

The first one that I considerd is the Chase Cam PDR100. For $875.00 you get the personal digital recorder, bullet camera and mount. It writes directly to a compact flash card and has no moving parts....so vibration should be no issue. I haven't been able to figure out if it has a monitor built into it to watch the playback or monitor what the bullet camera is aimed at. I know a bunch of guys use their bullet camera, but haven't gotten any direct feedback yet on the PDR100.
Their website is ChaseCam, Your Source for Video at Speed

Another one that I came across the other day and have been trying to get more info on is the RO-800SD/HD DVR. This one has a 30 gb hard drive and also a 4gb SD card slot. The website says it is not ideal for Harsh Vibration Environments and switching to the SD card changes it to solid state and thus vibration is no longer an issue.
I wonder what is considered "harsh vibration" . My assumption is that this DVR device would not necessarily be hard mounted like a camcorder (only the bullet cam would be hard mounted) and the vibration would be minimal. You would think in this situation the hard drive system would function with out too much of an issue....:dunno:
The big plus to the RO-800SD/HD DVR is the built in 3.5" screen
It has a starting price of $819.95.
The only place I found it was here HCV-R Camera System

I'm still looking and really don't know what I will buy.
Any advice others may have would be great.

Lance

OP
OP
V

vipergts1960

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a JVC 30 GB drive and it also has a 4 GB card as well. It shut off about every 45 seconds or so. I took my wifes camera which has a tape and it worked fine. I was hoping to be able to use something a little more modern with faster transfer speeds though.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had same problem. Ended up buying a Canon tape camera. Works fine but it is aggravating having to deal with two cameras, two chargers, etc.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is perfect timing:D
I have a new camera mount that should be done in the next 2-3 weeks max:2tu: Just finishing the final mounting postion.

Stay Tuned:usa:

Big Brake Dave:drive:

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I race roundy-rounds on the local short track. We use a Kodak EasyShare digital camera with a large memory card to film our in-car footage. Works decent, and it's not as expensive as some of the in-car systems.

If I had the cash for it, I'd probably look into a nice bullet cam system though.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wide Angle, Hi Def, 16:9 format, polaroid filter.... great video! You spend a thousand bucks for a weekend of track time....why skimp on your cam?

DJ_BONEZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are willing to take the chance of lossing a days memory and possibly the harddrive you could turn off the hardrive locking setting. Also I am assuming that your camera has this capability. I have a Sony HDR-SR7 which is capable of the setting. Another option is to create a shock protection mount or create one.

Good luck on a solution.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
ViperGTS,
May I ask what video camera you bought?
I've been looking into different ones as well. I was hoping to stay away from tapes, so I started looking at the alternatives.

The first one that I considerd is the Chase Cam PDR100. For $875.00 you get the personal digital recorder, bullet camera and mount. It writes directly to a compact flash card and has no moving parts....so vibration should be no issue. I haven't been able to figure out if it has a monitor built into it to watch the playback or monitor what the bullet camera is aimed at. I know a bunch of guys use their bullet camera, but haven't gotten any direct feedback yet on the PDR100.
Their website is ChaseCam, Your Source for Video at Speed

Another one that I came across the other day and have been trying to get more info on is the RO-800SD/HD DVR. This one has a 30 gb hard drive and also a 4gb SD card slot. The website says it is not ideal for Harsh Vibration Environments and switching to the SD card changes it to solid state and thus vibration is no longer an issue.
I wonder what is considered "harsh vibration" . My assumption is that this DVR device would not necessarily be hard mounted like a camcorder (only the bullet cam would be hard mounted) and the vibration would be minimal. You would think in this situation the hard drive system would function with out too much of an issue....:dunno:
The big plus to the RO-800SD/HD DVR is the built in 3.5" screen
It has a starting price of $819.95.
The only place I found it was here HCV-R Camera System

I'm still looking and really don't know what I will buy.
Any advice others may have would be great.

Lance

The chase cam and pdr doesnot have a monitor. I have used mine a few times and mount it to the mirror. It has so far passed tech and the picture is good. You just might need a longer s video cable, depending on where you put the camera and the pdr

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a HVX200 which works great. It records to P2 card media in HD with a picture superior to pretty much any camera that costs less than the car you are putting it in lol

Of course youtube made a mess of the video once I put it online YouTube - ESX track day

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use an Oregon Scientific "Action Cam" - SD Flash cards. While not the best quality, (motion JPEG 640x480 @ 30fps), its only about $120 and I strap it to my helmet (no mount needed).

Link: Action Cam

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread. I was getting tired of tape and thinking of a disk video camera, but now I see it would have been a waste. I never had a vibration problem with a Sony video camera.