In process of buying a Viper and need some advice

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in Miami and can help if you need anything. I know Doug as well and would recommend him highly. I have a 96 RT. Let me know if I can help.

Craig, 801-652-6949

Thanks Craig... As of right everything is squared away. I will defiantly call you if needed.

You'll probably need to swap out the water pump (if it hasn't been done by the previous owners), motor mounts, tranny mount, power steering vent tube, power steering bracket, fluids (tranny, diff, clutch, brake, oil, coolant)...

Once you close the deal, I'd like to know what you paid for it...I wouldn't mind buying another for a track car.

Will defiantly take a look at those items metioned and replace if need be.

and power steering pulley ! (OP: Some of these parts are suggested for averting a future issue. Things that have been known to fail on quite a few cars by now. What percentage? Who knows?)

Thanks, I read on this forum that alot of these break. This is on the top of my list, if the car hasnt had it done. Read somewhere that there is a potenial fire issue with power steering?. Would like to know more about this one and the mod to correct it..

Doug Levin's shop is near there. I would have the owner take it there for the PPI.
I should have posted this earlier. Would have loved to have an actual shop dedicated to vipers do the PPI. Hopefully everything works out for me.

Just wanted to say that you for your responses. You guys made me feel welcome here. Its nice to know that you have so many people willing to help out when it comes to a purchase like this. Thanks again Todd

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI: the leather covering on the center console isn't stock. It's an nice aftermarket upgrade, but it could also be covering up a cracked center console wwhich is a commonly found problem.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are lucky down South. $35k for a low mileage 2001 GTS with some nice mods. If that car were for sale here in Vancouver for that price, it would be gone in 5 minutes. That car would be at least $10k more here.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HaHa, that's pretty good dave! Is it Really That Bad?
YES, I purchased a car from Florida which was in the UK, Thank god for carfax. A UK member got one on the car for me and we found the car had been issued a Salvage Cert and then a Cert of Destruction! It was shipped over to the UK as spares and then rebuilt by a shady dealer who tried to sell it on with a clean history! :mad:

I had paid by cheque and managed to cancel them just in time, then the credit card went after the company to retrieve my deposit! Took a few months, but I got my monies back. :(

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are lucky down South. $35k for a low mileage 2001 GTS with some nice mods. If that car were for sale here in Vancouver for that price, it would be gone in 5 minutes. That car would be at least $10k more here.

Thats what I thought. For some reason these cars right now dont seem to be bringing the price they should. I have been watching alot of the auctions on ebay and it has to be an extremely clean or rare example to bring more than 31K right now. I find it odd that these cars are not bringing more money at live auctions. Heck the car I am looking to buy only brought a little over 28K. I am paying a good bit more than that for this car, but in my eyes it is worth it. Come-on now..... these cars have a v-10 in it stock :omg:. These cars put up crazy numbers stock :omg:. My conclusion there just isnt a better car out there, with the brute force, power and reliabilty I am looking for, for the money Im spending New or used. An the style this car has.........It was a no brainer

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read somewhere that there is a potenial fire issue with power steering?. Would like to know more about this one and the mod to correct it..
Here's what you need to correct that issue:
You must be registered for see images attach

Really, the problem is that the heat and vibration tend to loosen the cap if it isn't tightened really tight. Then, if it comes off and you spray fluid on your exhaust manifold, you could get a surprise. I'm not sure that I have read of an actual fire that happened to someone, though

DanH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my prior car, two owners prior. I did most of the work you see and some you don't. New clutch with 13K, new water pump, corsa exhaust, gears, lowered and wheels. Doug did all the mechanical work. I sold the car at the end of 2006 or beginning of 2007 prior to accident. I saw the car on Ebay and it looked pretty straight.
If I could be of assistance let me know.

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome, PM me your phone number if you dont mind. I would love to talk to you. Thanks Todd

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Miami and have a tech that helped me with my purchase. If you need anything, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to go see it for you as well. However, I think you have plenty of help offered already...

I recently bought a 2002 GTS Final Edition in Jacksonville and drove it home to Miami.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a CRAZY price, those are $8k wheels.

I think its worth a few grand more than its listed for Buy It Now even ... enjoy!!! :) ---

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ended up buying this car on Thursday! Now for the waiting game of the checks to clear then ship it home. Cant wait to get this here. Thanks everyone for the help. Will throw pictures up when it arrives in a week or two. Looks like it will be an early Christmas gift. The pervious owner had some good news for me too. He let me know it has gears, water pump changed, clutch, Corsa exhaust not borla and a few other things done to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave