Installing new tires (OEM)... can any Viper dealer do it?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

My reason for asking is because our stock run-flats are such huge meats and not the typical tire change size. I also have the first set of HRE 546's made for the SRT (very beautiful, very pricey). I want to know if anything special needs to be known by the dealer so They don't damage the wheels?

Most Viper owners never keep the car long enough to ever need new rubber; however, I would say that lots of Vipers that are traded in with around 7K on the ODO are getting close to needing new rubber.

My Silver SRT-10 now has about 8,000 miles on the rubber, and a full weekend of Viper Days at the Mid-America Motorplex. Bill Pemberton showed me how to REALLY BURN SOME RUBBER!

Well, it is time for my new tires and I just wanted any advice (or know about any potential problems) on getting a proper installation on some nice wheels.

Thanks as always for any advice!

Jim :usa:

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim,
Who ever you go to, make sure they use a rimless tire machine that doesn't touch the lip of the wheel. Make sure they use the plastic guards for the removal arm and tools...that way there are no scratches or small dents on the lip surface. Have them use several layers of tape or rubber hose on the inside clamps where it grips the inside of the wheel to hold it in place. If you don't do this it will leave scratch marks on the inside of your wheels. One more thing, when they balance them make sure they only use stick on weights. Have them static balance the wheels with all of the weight on the inside and have them tape over the weights with a heavy grey (duct) tape incase it would ever throw a weight (would definitely scratch if it would happen). Just make sure you get the most anal guy in the shop to do it...some of the others just don't care ...believe me I see it every day.
Later,
Joe

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, Jim , we can do it here, but the info is correct, that if you find someone with a new model rimless tire changer they should be able to do it. Ask around for who does custom wheels, as with all these 22-24 inch truck rims, there are quite a few more places that can handle the big rims. Best of luck and come see us if you run out of options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi