Intake manifold/ aftermarket injection tech?

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm...I can't see a shorter runner as the solution on a Viper engine, the production short block won't handle the RPM necessary to make a short runner intake perform. Turning 6500 with the engine in question is a crap shoot...and even then, most short runners I have seen are really designed for 7000+, if you do the math as far as pulse tuning is concerned. Of course I am speaking in terms of making maximum power from a given combination.

I wouldn't put Electromotive on my Toro, much less a car that I really wanted to perform. The downside to aftermarket fuel management for the Viper is two-fold...10 cylinders and DIS. None of the big hitters here in the US build a system to support more than 8 and DIS is just beginning to gain recognition from Accel, SpeedPro, and the like. Motec, Haltech, EFI Technologies, etc...are the mfgs that support 10+ cylinders and DIS...Good Luck on your search.

Reaction score
What am I missing? Did ORECA run a V8 at Le Mans? Did Caldwell provide engines that ran at 5500 for max performance? It seems to me that ORECA's engines built by Caldwell ran quite well with restrictors, extra weight and still kicked butt. So it seems that someone knows how to make a Viper V10 run with individual throttle bodies, and provide the fuel management to make them work, as well as the fuel supply! The ORECA engine is not cheap but it makes a lot of power(800) and is reliable.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder on April 03, 2001 at 01:25</font>

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred...you have answered your own questions...yes, the GTSR motor (dry sump, real crank, real rods, real oiling system) can turn that kind of RPM and live. However, I would challenge you to take the production block...keep it a wet sump...and deliver that kind of power at the RPM necessary to make the short runner work efficiently...without dropping the crank or throwing several rods through the block.

That same world-beating setup you mention runs Motec fuel management...as I mentioned in my previous post...and not Electromotive or any other programmable FI system. If you want to play with short runners and programmable systems...you have to spend big dollars...not possible for the average club racer.

Stick to the driving school man...engine building wouldn't be a profitable venture for you. Later.

Reaction score
Kyle thanks for your advise, it will be given appropriate consideration!

Now to the point, your quote:

"I wouldn't put Electromotive on my Toro, much less a car that I really wanted to perform. The downside to aftermarket fuel management for the Viper is two-fold...10 cylinders and DIS. None of the big hitters here in the US build a system to support more than 8 and DIS is just beginning to gain recognition from Accel, SpeedPro, and the like. Motec, Haltech, EFI Technologies, etc...are the mfgs that support 10+ cylinders and DIS...Good Luck on your search"

Number 1. Caldwell has the Motec tuned to manage the Viper 10 with the individual throttle body injection system. So why is there a "...... downside to aftermarket fuel management for the Viper is two-fold...10 cylinders...." ?

There is no problem other then $$. And that is nothing new to Viper owners.

Number 2. The GTSR block is the same as the production except the racing block has more machine work done to it. Yes the internal components are not from the production line and the production heads are ported and polished.

Number 3. I agree with the general concept that to increase the power band RPM is not a cost effective proposition for a average club racer.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hogan makes sheet metal intakes for many stock car and drag applications. If you know what it is you want to accomplish, they can make it.