Interested in RT/10

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've always been interested in a Viper but ended up losing interest. Well yesterday, I saw a red RT/10 and obviously it sparked my interest again.

I'm wanting to understand what the maintenance cost of these cars are. I've been looking at the SRT10 or even the GTS but they are still in the 30-40k price range and I don't think I want to spend that type of money since I buy all my cars outright.

I think the main thing is I'll need to go drive one myself to see if I truly do want one but any feedback on maintenance cost or even being able to do the work yourself would be appreciated.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're actually fairly low maintenance for what they are. Many service parts were pulled from the Chrysler parts bin, so availability of service parts isn't generally an issue. For example, I picked up front brake pads from Napa for $40. If you're mechanically inclined, they're easy to work on as well. For a small car, most things are pretty easy to get to. There are a lot of guys with 100K+ miles on their cars.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say one of the easiest and most afforable sports cars to work on. Parts aren't bad pricing, especially when compared to Ferrari, Porsche, etc, etc and its a pretty straight forward car to work on too.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
With the exception of my 66 mustang (and maybe honda) my
Gen2 has been the easist car I've ever owned in regards to
repairs/maintainence. Almost every parts store carries tune-
up supplies, and special parts are only a phone call away.

If the RT youre looking at is pre-96 I recommend giving
second thought to the the time/effort it takes to weather proof
them. While I LOVE the originals, the top doesnt exactly snap
on so youre going to have to live with rain and/or cold at some
point. If youre okay with that though, the old open tops are
(in my opinion) still some of the very best.

OP
OP
H

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I come from, I don't need to worry about rain/cold. Either way, I wouldn't drive the car in the rain anyway so I think that will end up voiding that problem :) (California)

Able1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 RT/10, I do all the maintenance on the car. Parts are reasonable, I have changed all the fluids, the power steering pulley and bracket, clutch slave cylinder and clutch, shifter, brakes, exhaust and wheel bearings all in my garage without a rack or special tools. So if you are handy do not worry, my only advice is buy a good car to begin with, spend a little more money up front, rather than a lot more money later down the road. Expect to pay high 20's to low 30's for a Gen 1, mid 30's to low 40's for a Gen 2, low 40's to 50 for a gen3 and so on, you can find cheaper cars, just remember the owner knows what the car is worth, if it is cheap there is a reason. Good luck with your search

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're interested in an RT10, I would go for a GenII model, as they are quite a bit more sophisticated (if you can call it that on a Viper) than the GenI. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
H

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by quite a bit more sophisticated?

The only thing that I like exterior wise with the GenI model is the side exhaust exits. Don't really like the rear exit but that doesn't come on the GenII/GTS until SRT10

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D & M motors has a yellow 2002 RT with 25,000 miles on it it was my friends and he was a Chrysler mechanic for over 30yrs. He has done all the maintance on it and it has new tires on it that would be a great car for you all you would need is the 3 pc top for it by trunk master.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by quite a bit more sophisticated?
The Gen IIs are more refined. There are many differences but the most noticeable other than the body are an updated suspension, higher HP motors, and real actual roll up windows. Sidepipe conversions on Gen IIs are easy, although expensive.

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Gen 1 this year with 4K miles on it. I paid a premium (31K) but the car is like new. If its not your daily driver, you should be fine. My biggest fear…getting caught out in the rain. As others have said, Gen 1 is not good in bad weather.

Able1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed side pipes on my 2002 RT/10 using high flow cats,gen4 mufflers and turn outs, seal covers from Autoform. I did the work myself including paint, for a cost of around $1900.00. I know some would say thats alot of money for side pipes, but it is a Viper and it should have side pipes. I think you need to go and drive one or at least go for a ride, you will know in the first mile if this car is for you.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The only thing that I like exterior wise with the GenI model is
the side exhaust exits.

Like Able said - switching over to side pipes on a GenII is a
bolt on project, quickly done, and reversable.

The GenIIs are marginally easier to live with and much more
desirable to the "drive-often" owners.