Interesting Comment on Autoblog

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/2013-srt-viper-first-drive-review-video/#aolc=BROmQA

Redacted slightly for clarity...

Ralph Gilles
We had 48 Journalist thru the Viper last week, some drove it harder than others...Mike drove it especially well and was literally tossing it around the autocross and clearly having a good time! Nobody spun out, wrecked a car or even put 4 wheels off ( we had some creative curb slicing). I have been to dozens of Viper event and rides over the years...that has never happened! I also saw drivers pushing the car (more than I normally see from Viper newbees) and speeds getting faster all day. That is what a driver's car is suppose to do...help you find your depth and have some itself to spare. Have a Happy Thanksgiving enthusiast, with out you there is no us!

Lab Rat
Maybe an RT-10 can be the super high performance model.

A couple of turbos at like 10-12 psi... (don't need a ton of boost in a block this big)

+110hp/150ft-lb -> 750hp/750ft-lb
0-60 in 2.9sec...
Top speed 225...

Ralph Gilles
Well...the 13 has Forged pistons for a reason ; )

Wonder what that's supposed to mean, and if it really is Ralph commenting.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the videos I've seen with the engineers have stated over and over "we know Viper owners like to mod" to which they went with forged

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket only.
Also will invalidate warranty Im sure.

But hey at least they cut the cost down by forging from the get go.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until we have access to the PCM there cannot be any major mods. That is why the Gen IV's have not been boosted.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that's really Ralph. Interesting. Funny thing is that the PCM's for the 2011 LX Mopars where just released and they always had little tidbits in them for extra parts. Maybe this is why the engine is behind the front axle? Not just for weight balance but for supercharger and turbo systems? Cause it's gotten to the point with the electronic gizmos, that when we look at a motor we start thinking 'well where is this going to go?'

--RS

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph hinted at that but said the car will be available with a manumatic at some point in another video. It's a packaging issue at this point. It sounded like the car will always have a manual but will have another option at some point. My guess the acr will have an automated manual.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V with a dual clutch will be insanely fast. Can't even imagine. Actually, yes I can!

OP
OP
C

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until we have access to the PCM there cannot be any major mods. That is why the Gen IV's have not been boosted.

Gen IVs haven't been boosted with just the stock or mopar PCM. :p

Hoping that the C7 Z06/ZR1 forces SRT to produce a forced induction Gen V ACR.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is my point - all you could do to the Gen IV was exhaust mods. If they want aftermarket mods they will have to open up the PCM. No one is going to do street mods and install an AEM or Moton. The corvette crowd has HP Tuners and LS Edit to modify the PCM/

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No dual clutch please.
Ralph all but said it will be an option. Time to come to terms with it. Life, cars, and technology move on. The good news is there are a lot of barely driven older cars to buy if even the OPTION of a dual clutch makes the car unpurchasable. Personally, I find that attitude a bit silly.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph all but said it will be an option. Time to come to terms with it. Life, cars, and technology move on. The good news is there are a lot of barely driven older cars to buy if even the OPTION of a dual clutch makes the car unpurchasable. Personally, I find that attitude a bit silly.

Perhaps adding that option recruits a whole new breed of customer that many of us prided ourselves in not being associated with. Perhaps.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps adding that option recruits a whole new breed of customer that many of us prided ourselves in not being associated with. Perhaps.
Yeah, well get over it! :) If it keeps the Viper alive and kicking I'm all for it. Also, Ralph made it very clear that he loves manual cars. He loves shifting his own gears. The Dual Clutch or some other kind of manu-matic (single clutch version like the LFA) will not be the only option in the near, medium range future. So us manual transmission lovers can still feel superior!

I'm not a fan of chrome wheels on the viper. I know it's an option, but I think it looks terrible. I'm sure there are some people that love them and think a viper with chrome wheels is the greatest thing ever. That person and I may not have a lot in common when it comes to taste, but that's OK. I'm not going to say 'oh well, if SRT offers chrome wheels it will attract a certain kind of 'customer' to the brand I don't like. I'm not buying one of those.'

At least a manumatic is about going faster on a Racetrack. I have not idea what heavy chrome wheels on a viper are about?!?! :dunno:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang