Is '09 the end of the Viper?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Viper is at the accountants for financial viability evaluation. Nobody can deny it. There were too many article in the news papers about. Just the last one in Motor Trend "The beasth isn't breathing strong". It is not a rumor but a fact. Obviously there is a fight between those that want axe it and other more enegetic marketing peoples who want to keep it. Times are difficult for car manufacturers. Some very difficult decisions will have to be made soon.

The decision will be made when the CAAP will close. The Factory closure is in the new Union contract. CAAP is outdated. The question is whether Cerberus is willing to invest money into a limited production system. I am not sure. On the other hand Viper has a nice but short history. It worth some money. They might try to sell it. But who and what type of business is willing to take it is a mistery (Maybe a some guys from Bahrein ?!). They might just take the factory and tools and move it to their desert.

These were my thoughts today ...

NB: I am happy to see that a couple of guys are worried abou the Viper's futur. It is good to see.

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NB: I am happy to see that a couple of guys are worried abou the Viper's futur. It is good to see.

A couple?

As you would know from following these boards, most everyone here is worried, and has been (since 2006), about the Viper's future. The union contract has been known for some time. It's new information, facts vs. speculation and theories, that is in short supply. :usa:

Btw, I suggested here about a year ago, that Saleen could/should buy the brand and operation from Dodge. These days, I'd add to that suggestion Shelby's operation as another potential buyer (after all, Shelby had a hand in the original Viper).

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since this thread is about throwing Viper clap against the wall to see if it sticks, here's a shot at Chevy: Maybe no more new Corvette designs for a while, if ever (especially after GM just blew a *** on the ZR1 ...2012 redesign on-hold?)?

In the WSJ today:

"General Motors is postponing redesigning its SUVs and full-sized trucks as it shifts its product portfolio toward more fuel-efficient vehicles, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition on Thursday ...GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson told the newspaper the car maker was "looking at the whole product portfolio," and deciding how to supply the U.S. market with more fuel-efficient cars."

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't read very much into the UAW Union Plant Contracts. All three Automakers made it a major goal to get agreement from UAW to discontinue current models at certain plants without guaranteeing that new models would be manufactured at those plants.
For the first time in history the UAW caved on this issue. All three Automakers tried to include as many of their plants in the agreement as they could. This allows them to close plants, lay off workers, move the plants to Mexico or wherever and not have the Union Benefits to deal with.
They included every plant they could get on the list. Does this mean they are unhappy with Connor? I doubt it, they recruit from all over the company for the guys who build the Viper. I'm willing to bet it's the happiest plant in the system, with no union issues.
The only reason that plant would close is if a manufacturing decision was made that the car could built at less cost in ANOTHER hand made environment like maybe Saleen, which would again eliminate the UAW and cut costs.

Conner is one of the plants in the agreement. It means NOTHING. It's all about getting to negotate

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have news for ya, the new diesel don't blow black smoke anymore. I bought the new 6.7L Cummins Diesel and its awesome. 350hp 650 ft lbs of torque and get 20 mpg stock. Add a chip, exhaust, intake, airfilter and your up over 500hp.

Check out the Diesel powered Audi's that have been winning races due to their power, fuel efficiency and reliability. Beside, the new diesels are much cleaner than gas motors.

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the street clearing cloud of black smoke will be really becoming of a sports car.

:crazy2:

dave6666............see post above, this was a reply to your comment. Most people have a misconception about today's diesel engines. Your thoughts are typical. Europe understands the benefits to using deisel and are ahead of us.

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some more news...it is debatable as to whether Diesel smells, or is noisy, however, other than biodiesel, the fuel is a petrol/oil product, and is on par with regular gasoline on price. Mileage per HP is also close to gasoline. I am not saying that it should be disregarded, just that it is not a miracle cure for energy that some would like us to believe.