Is 30,000miles high for a '01?

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is 30,000miles high for a \'01?

For my $.02.... I just don't get all the major issue around it.

Sure, I'd want to pay a little less for a higher mileage car, just like you would for a Taurus or Accord, but it's not THE major factor when I'm looking at a car. As has been said, I'd rather have a very well cared for car with 50K on the odometer than one that's been on the track every weekend, and never had an oil change, but only has 10K on the odometer. So I don't think 30K is too much for a Viper if it's well cared for.

Personally, I'm into the driving angle of cars, not the "collector" side. Sure, some people chose to buy a car like that and stick it in the garage. Basically, they only drive it to bring to a show (sometimes they even trailer it), then put it right back in the garage. I have respect for them, but to me that's like having a piece of jewlery or artwork. If I want artwork, I'll bring a picture of the car. I like to drive! I'm buying my Viper to use. I plan to put some miles on it. At the end of the day, what matters to me is how much of a smile the car puts on my face. And the only way that happens is behind the wheel.

Steve

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would have no hesitation buying a 30,000 mile Viper. These things do not tend to be tempermental like other exotics. If it is the style, color and model you want, and the price is reasonable to you...Jump on it.

Nobody on our cruises talks about miles on the odo. Maybe if they have a high mileage Viper they even brag a little about it.

100,000 comes easy on most Vipers. :2tu:

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just depends on the care of the vehicle. If the car is in good condition and the only thing that tells there are 30K miles on the car is the clock, why not buy it? Still looks just as good.

I agree 100%

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

City Snake pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you want a collectable then buy low miles and pamper the queen, if you want a driver go with the 30,000 mile discounted model and have fun.

Now considering your uncle isn't Bill Gates the choice is up to you!

I've got 10,000 on my 98 RT and forecast about 3000-5000 a year so in 18 yrs it will probably have 100,000 miles on it and be worth?????????????????????????

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've never really understood the "use" issue. If you're buying a car as an investment, then you should keep it under cover in your garage. DON'T buy a high mileage car. If you're buying a car for the enjoyment of driving it, then DRIVE the car. Save some cash and buy a well maintained car that HAS 30-50G's of miles. Use the saved cash for customizing the USE value of the car.

Trying to combine both forms of ownership, IMO, makes no sense. Decide what you want (investment or use) and make your decision. Striving to achieve compromise will severely diminish your enjoyment car both as an investment and as a driving pleasure.

Well said!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No stripes? Black interior? The horror....THE HORROR.

Are you buying as an investment or to drive it? Most likely it is a driver. 30k is nothing.

You can always put the skunk stripes on if you want. Just kidding.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember thinking about whether I wanted to keep the miles down, or drive my Viper. I've got about 27K miles on the car now after about 5 years and I still get a kick whenever I get behind the wheel. I wouldn't give up any of the great experiences of driving my Viper, and in fact one of the reasons why I chose the Viper was because it can take regular driving, and even some racing and keep going.

It's not just the mileage, it's whether or not the car was badly abused, and if the car was well maintained throughout it's life.

I'd happily buy my car again today with it's current mileage. Cerrainly it's going to take some hit in price for being driven, but I'm expecting at least 100K+ from it. :laugh:
And it will be the most thrilling and enjoyable 100K that I will have ever spent in a car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte