Is a KEY needed to remove the hardtop?

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is a key needed to remove the hardtop off an RT/10?

Just curious. One dealer I asked to take off the hardtop said they didn't have the key for it, and they would have to order it for me if I bought the car.

Thanks!

mike007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:rolleyes::lmao:
Is a key needed to remove the hardtop off an RT/10?

Just curious. One dealer I asked to take off the hardtop said they didn't have the key for it, and they would have to order it for me if I bought the car.

No key or allen wrench needed for a gen2 rt10 :drive::lmao::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same for a GEN II, at least it is for my 2001 RT/10. A key is needed for the rear window, none for the hardtop...dealer is either an idiot or may be hiding something...or may have been brain-dead when you asked him...it sometimes happens to me :D.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys lost me about a key to remove the back window?? I undo the snaps and pop it out. Am I missing somethin here? Never heard of such a thing. I've got a Gen I and I am confused. (as usual) :)

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is two key locks on the rear window, but the top on my 2000 came off without an allen key. just the rear window needs a key, its like a same lock key. Locks the window in place

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can easily take my top off with out any keys or tools. The rear window does need a small key to remove.

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok thank you guys for your answers (including the one laughing at me :rolaugh: , yes I know.... but I am green when it comes to Vipers......hey that's what you guys are for :2tu: ).

The dealear that told me I needed a key was not a Dodge dealer, and maybe they didn't know. They said it was the 1st Viper they ever had for sale.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thank you guys for your answers (including the one laughing at me :rolaugh: , yes I know.... but I am green when it comes to Vipers......hey that's what you guys are for :2tu: ).

The dealear that told me I needed a key was not a Dodge dealer, and maybe they didn't know. They said it was the 1st Viper they ever had for sale.

Tell them to order the key. I want to see what they order :D

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm fairly certain they were laughing at the dealer, who should be educated a little bit on vehicles they are selling.

I'm with Chad. Ask them to order the hardtop key. :D

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can easily take my top off with out any keys or tools. The rear window does need a small key to remove.

Same here. There is no key, Allen wrench or anything else other than your fingers needed to remove the hardtop on a Gen II, at least on the '99.