Is anybody buying Vipers?

RevLimit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 03 Red Vert and the odometer just clicked on 9875. I hate to think I am goig to have a HIGH milage car here in a few weeks.

Do you think there is a bottom end depreciation value on high milage Vipers by year. if so I guess I should just drive, drive, drive now...:drive: Its not all bad I love driving the Viper.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what the 2008's will really effect is the Gen I and Gen II cars. Since as the pre-2008 Gen III cars rack up some miles and get older in years, the price will go down, and then where will the price of the earlier cars go? They'll have to go down. I couldn't see a situation where 2003-2006's are selling below the Gen II cars? But who knows, maybe that will happen...

I don't buy the theory that older vipers will continue to decrease in price as the newer ones come out. All one needs do is look at the prices of older Vettes to see that this is most likely not true. There are years of the Vette which are more collectible than others and it has little to do with how new they are. Generally the 50's Vettes sell for more than the 60s (with the exception of the 67) and both are much more valuable than the 70s Vettes. I can see a similar thing happening with the Vipers over then next 10 to 20 years, with each year standing on it's own merits of performance, options and mostly styling.

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't buy the theory that older vipers will continue to decrease in price as the newer ones come out. All one needs do is look at the prices of older Vettes to see that this is most likely not true. There are years of the Vette which are more collectible than others and it has little to do with how new they are. Generally the 50's Vettes sell for more than the 60s (with the exception of the 67) and both are much more valuable than the 70s Vettes. I can see a similar thing happening with the Vipers over then next 10 to 20 years, with each year standing on it's own merits of performance, options and mostly styling.

The 50s and 60s were 47-57 years ago though. Even a gen 1 viper is only 15 (or so) years old in comparison. At what point does my [random object] turn into an antique/classic versus just being old?

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. There will always be the group of people, myself included, who want the forged internal, lumpy cam, wild looks of the GEN II GTS cars. I would love to have a GEN III vert but it would always be 2nd in line behind a GTS to me. The only reason I would want a 2008 is because of the performance factor. That being said, I would just assume buy a GTS and send it to UGR for a Paxton or Roe setup and upgraded brakes and dust the 08 if I cared about performance that much.:drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. There will always be the group of people, myself included, who want the forged internal, lumpy cam, wild looks of the GEN II GTS cars. I would love to have a GEN III vert but it would always be 2nd in line behind a GTS to me. The only reason I would want a 2008 is because of the performance factor. That being said, I would just assume buy a GTS and send it to UGR for a Paxton or Roe setup and upgraded brakes and dust the 08 if I cared about performance that much.:drive:

Amen. Nothing looks like a GTS. And an SRT looks like a Vette. Yuk.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 50s and 60s were 47-57 years ago though. Even a gen 1 viper is only 15 (or so) years old in comparison. At what point does my [random object] turn into an antique/classic versus just being old?

Even with the newer Vettes you can see that 70s and early 80s (See 1982 Vettes) are selling for more than the early 90s (coincidentally the same time frame as the Vipers came out). So I stand by my statement that in 10 to 20 years we should start to see the Gen I's and maybe some Gen IIs start to increase in value more than the Gen IIIs. I also contend that there will be "classic" years of the Viper - The 1999 with forged pistons will probably be the best, of course the 92's will command top dollar being the 1st year and I'm hoping the 2002 will be a favorite, being the last year of the Gen II just like the 1967 and 1982 Vettes seem to be very popular.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the 08 sells at sticker or more,i would think the 03-06 should hold there value better.if the 08s sell for what the 06 were than prices will drop more than what they are now imo.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the 08 sells at sticker or more,i would think the 03-06 should hold there value better.if the 08s sell for what the 06 were than prices will drop more than what they are now imo.

"If" the 08 sells at sticker or more? :rolaugh:
It'll be 10-15K over sticker.

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 03 Red Vert and the odometer just clicked on 9875. I hate to think I am goig to have a HIGH milage car here in a few weeks.

Do you think there is a bottom end depreciation value on high milage Vipers by year. if so I guess I should just drive, drive, drive now...:drive: Its not all bad I love driving the Viper.

I think cars are judged in 5k mile increments up to 20k, then 10k increments.

Anything under 20k should be easy to sell, after that you'll start running low on buyers.

F4PHANTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO. I won't buy anything from Bob Nardelli or John Snow. Both are arrogant, aristocratic jerks. I'm keeping my '98 GTS Venom 650R and getting ready to pick up a new MURCI.:D

V

Venomiss

Go away for two weeks and this thread is still going? WOW.....I need to drive back to Canada where it's cool.
It's good to know people are still buying Vipers.;)

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's definitely because of the pricing. In my mind, yes the Vipers are classic and rare, and even the older ones with lower miles should be worth ballpark $50K.

However, in the minds of people who are going to be spending ballpark $50K, when they figure out they could practically a brand new one 2003-2005 for somewhere in the high $50K's to low $60K's, they're likely going to buy the newer car.

Even if the difference was $15K in price, when you're already talking that much money, for a car that's a luxury toy, and you're likely financing it, the difference in the payment is peanuts.

The only way the earlier cars will start moving is if there is a huge disparity in the price, then it would be enough for someone thinking about a Viper to say to themselves 'hey, for this much less I might as well check out the older model and see if I like Vipers before I spend double on a newer one'.

If you look at any similar high performance sports car, you'll see that the difference in price, even for low mileage cars, doesn't make sense with the Vipers.

For example, you can buy a 1999 Ferrari 360 coupe with about 5-10K miles for about $110K. Move up 5 years to like a 2004 (last year of the 360 technically) and you're talking $160,000 for the same car, a difference of $50,000 which is a big chunk of change.

Look at a 1999 Viper vs. a 2004 Viper the 1999 is going for $45-$50K and the 2004 is going for $58K - a difference of $8,000 - so who is REALLY going to buy the 5 year older car only to save $8,000 ???

[numbers taken from www.dodgevipersforsale.com as well as www.dupontregistry.com]

And when you start getting into 2004's and beyond some of these cars all have warranty on them, and the warranty can still be extended as long as it's still within the original period, so just having warranty, especially the option to extend, now who is going to want to buy the earlier car?

I mean if you're just dead set on the look of those earlier Vipers then go for it, but the average guy looking to get into a Viper only has to do a little research to realize the best deal is getting the latest model Viper possible.

I don't the think the new cars will effect the Gen III pricing much at first. It would likely take a year. The 2008's will be slow to come, and from the exterior they look very similar. I talked to the dealer (who still doesn't know pricing) but said tht they expected the 2008's to sticker at $100K - if that's the case even $70K for a 2006 is still a heck of a deal! (Especially if it's in a color they're not making in 2008)

I think what the 2008's will really effect is the Gen I and Gen II cars. Since as the pre-2008 Gen III cars rack up some miles and get older in years, the price will go down, and then where will the price of the earlier cars go? They'll have to go down. I couldn't see a situation where 2003-2006's are selling below the Gen II cars? But who knows, maybe that will happen...

This post would make sense if the Gen III's looked more like a viper. If you don't think style and history matter then please explain the price of old shelby muscle cars, or the reason a 67 vette will cost you more than a new zo6?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I sold one my stangs, and paid off my stupid super charger payment I got while I was in college 1.5 years ago. I'm just itching to get a viper. Trying to hold out until winter to get the press price and to save up for a real nice down payment.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post would make sense if the Gen III's looked more like a viper. If you don't think style and history matter then please explain the price of old shelby muscle cars, or the reason a 67 vette will cost you more than a new zo6?

When you look at the interior of a 67 vette or 69 camero, there is something classic and cool about it. When I see pictures of alot of used Gen I and Gen II Vipers, the interior looks dated and somewhat cheesy, and not in a classic or cool way. I really think they dropped the ball on some of the interior styling, and I think this effects buyers too, not just the 'exterior styling'.

Since you never see the car when you're in it, and spend most of your time looking at the interior, the latest Gen III cars have a leg up in that regard.

In another 10-15 years the limited styling runs of the Gen I and Gen II would support the different pricing models of 'classic' type of cars, but I just don't think the Vipers of 10 years ago have moved into classic. Maybe limited or unique, but not so in my mind to substantiate the kind of prices they're listed for.

Now that Dodge has unveiled the 2008's at an even LOWER price point than the 2006's, this even furthers the case that the Gen I and Gen II cars may show a price correction.

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In another 10-15 years the limited styling runs of the Gen I and Gen II would support the different pricing models of 'classic' type of cars, but I just don't think the Vipers of 10 years ago have moved into classic. Maybe limited or unique, but not so in my mind to substantiate the kind of prices they're listed for.

Now that Dodge has unveiled the 2008's at an even LOWER price point than the 2006's, this even furthers the case that the Gen I and Gen II cars may show a price correction.

I concur. Some of these 01/02 cars listed in the mid to high 50s is unrealistic. They've been sitting for a long time unsold too. I wonder how long these cars sit on average at those prices. I've been looking for 2 months now and see the same cars continuously listed for these high amounts and not selling. Do the dealers just not care?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needless to say, the listed price is most often not the selling price. If you see one you like make an offer...you may be surprised.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how you cut the cheese, there is still only a limited number of Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars out there, and no more being built. The more I see the Gen 3 on the road, the more I like my Gen 2. For ex, took the family on a 4 hour drive over Labor Day and more Gen 3's (4) than I did Z06's (1) and Gen 1/2 (0). That was in Michigan. I say 'hold the price boys'! I don't think sitting on a Gen1/ 2 is as bad as sitting on a Gen 3. Gen 3 is a bummer bc its like a reg Vette vs a Z06 now with the HP add, let alone the custom colors (in itself an admission by Dodge that the car needs some 'oomph' to get out the showroom). People who buy classic cars do it for style. I think a Gen 1/2 will soon be worth more than a Gen 3. They are classics already. Just my 2c. ;)

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assure you that it was unusual to see more vipers than Z06's on your trip. I live in Michigan, travel often, and would say I ussually see about 4-5 Z06's for any Viper (GEN I thru III). I see Gen I's the least and probably equal number of Gen II and III. It will interesting to see what happens in reguards to Gen III values. Most of the cars that were "fire saled" have dissappeared and for all the talk about 08 pricing being less, MSRP's are actually within couple hundred of 06's. Sometimes more than comparable 06 depending on color/options of 08 ordered. Even at 68-70k for a clean low mile car your 20k + below 08 MSRP. Depending on how many 08, 09,10 etc. cars are produced the 06 Gen III coupe may actually be among the lowest production numbers (one production year).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 911 series Posha has been doing the engine upgrade/new gen car thing for years, and every time they come out with a new model, the older ones tank. I think there is a limited market for these cars, and the guys with the bucks to buy the state of the art do so, and everything else becomes 'has been' until they reach collector car status, if at all. If you look at the 911 series, very few models have become collector series, really only very early cars, and the RS models. The Turbo has held up pretty well. I think that is a valid comparison, except that Posha never did anything so radical in the body redo as the Gen 1/2 to Gen 3 changes. Ya, it will be interesting to see, but I don't see anybody buying Gen 3 for the track. Even the CC is gonna be 'has been' due to the major HP advantage of the Gen 4. Watch what happens when the Gen 4 shows up on the track in T1 form.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for my second Viper, so let me get you guys into the mindset of a buyer (at least me).

My focus right now is finding the Viper that will be the best STREET (not track, potential for drags in the future) platform in terms of price, performance (handling) and comfort to get a TT installed. After discussing at length with tuners and owners alike, it seems that either way I go (Gen II GTS 2001+ or Gen III Coupe) that I will be well served. There are trade/offs to each of course, but for me, it's coming down to styling and price.

I am torn right now between these two cars. On one hand, you've got the classic look of the GTS at (depending on where you look) a great price. On the other hand, you've got a Gen III that is more comfortable to drive (from what I've heard) better braking (which can be matched in the Gen II with upgrades) and at some angles, a more aggressive, sharp look from my eye (mainly the face on, which I LOVE).

The only thing that is lacking for me right now is a SOTP review of a Gen III. Owning a Gen II '00 GTS, I know what to expect from that car and how it feels when I drive it. The big X factor right now comes from my feel of how the Gen III Coupe will drive in comparison and what prices will do when the '08's start hitting the market.....

Just my .02

Last edited:

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you look at the interior of a 67 vette or 69 camero, there is something classic and cool about it. When I see pictures of alot of used Gen I and Gen II Vipers, the interior looks dated and somewhat cheesy, and not in a classic or cool way. I really think they dropped the ball on some of the interior styling, and I think this effects buyers too, not just the 'exterior styling'.

Since you never see the car when you're in it, and spend most of your time looking at the interior, the latest Gen III cars have a leg up in that regard.

The fact you mention about the high prices for gen 1 and gen 2's is direct evidence of their "classic" stature.

If you could teleport yourself back in time to 1996 you'd be amazed by how much more a part of mainstream culture the viper was back then compared to now.

I like the gen 3's, but I think they really dropped the ball when they relased the 2003 version and it wasn't any faster then the previous version which came out seven years earlier. They're playing catchup with the 2008 which is a beast, but it's strangley similar to the path of the c4 corvette--by the time they got it right nobody cared anymore.

Don't even get me started on what the 2008 is going to do to the value of the 2003-2007 gen 3s! :-0

If I was looking for value and wanted to keep the car for a while I'd buy a gen 2

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 911 series Posha has been doing the engine upgrade/new gen car thing for years, and every time they come out with a new model, the older ones tank. I think there is a limited market for these cars, and the guys with the bucks to buy the state of the art do so, and everything else becomes 'has been' until they reach collector car status, if at all. If you look at the 911 series, very few models have become collector series, really only very early cars, and the RS models. The Turbo has held up pretty well. I think that is a valid comparison, except that Posha never did anything so radical in the body redo as the Gen 1/2 to Gen 3 changes. Ya, it will be interesting to see, but I don't see anybody buying Gen 3 for the track. Even the CC is gonna be 'has been' due to the major HP advantage of the Gen 4. Watch what happens when the Gen 4 shows up on the track in T1 form.

I agree that the closer you get to the original vision of a car model the more valuable it is, which is why I recommend a gen 1 or gen 2 to anybody that worries about resale value.

Also, you CANNOT compare the production numbers of the 911 to that of a viper.

B

BurntRubber

For me - I am about to turn 30 in November, My dream for the last 14yrs or so was to buy a Viper. When the 96 B/W GTS came out I was hooked. I have wanted one since they were introduced. I should be getting mine next week (as along a Gary A is on schedule). The Gen II is a character in itself. The fact that Dodge makes this car is great. Yes you could run 11.5 in the 1/4 in a new ferrari, but I could to first shot. Gen II's get people excited, start conversations, have little boys drool, old men wish for one, hotties dig em. I vote Gen II GTS as best car ever made!:2tu:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar story for me also, I was 24 when the blue/white 96 GTS came out, and drooled over them back then. I couldn't afford a new Viper back then, but can now. I never really liked the convertible ones until the 2004 came out, but I've always preferred the coupes more.

I'm shopping for a 2006 coupe now, the 600HP 2008 model doesn't really interest me since I'll be modifying well beyond that figure anyways. Now, if I could buy a blue/white 2008 coupe, I might be somewhat interested in a new one.

The good thing about shopping for a Viper is that they aren't a 'gotta have it' car. They are a toy, just like the rest of my toys. I can be patient until I find the right car for the right price, especially since most of them are ultra-low mileage and well maintained by current owners.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter how you cut the cheese, there is still only a limited number of Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars out there, and no more being built. The more I see the Gen 3 on the road, the more I like my Gen 2. For ex, took the family on a 4 hour drive over Labor Day and more Gen 3's (4) than I did Z06's (1) and Gen 1/2 (0). That was in Michigan. I say 'hold the price boys'! I don't think sitting on a Gen1/ 2 is as bad as sitting on a Gen 3. Gen 3 is a bummer bc its like a reg Vette vs a Z06 now with the HP add, let alone the custom colors (in itself an admission by Dodge that the car needs some 'oomph' to get out the showroom). People who buy classic cars do it for style. I think a Gen 1/2 will soon be worth more than a Gen 3. They are classics already. Just my 2c. ;)

I agree 100%. I also think they are at the bottom of there depreciation curve and can only go one way, UP. Now is the time to buy a Gen I or Gen II. They did not make many of these cars and the few that do still exist are getting higher and higher mileage and more and more are being wrecked and highly modified leaving very few low mileage stock cars.

For those saying they are priced too high and that is why they are sitting too long for sale you are wrong. There may be a few where that is the case but Vipers have always been hard cars to sell that sit on the market for a while before selling. This is because it is a highly specialized market that has a smaller than usual audience.

I used to see these GTS's that seemed to have unusually high prices and wonder why until I bought mine. I realize I payed top dollar for mine but it is probably one of the lowest mileage Sapphire w/stripes (low production numbers) cars around. Then add a warranty on top of that which is another 3 thousand bucks and some MGW goodies and I am getting close to new Z06 territory which I might add would not be worth much at ll in a few years had I bought one of them. That said I feel it is worth every penny. JMHO.

Now will this thread ever die. :dunno: