Is Chevy trying to copy the SRT?

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snakepilot, I felt the same way as you. I was never moved enough by GenI/II styling to actually get one, but SRT was love at first sight. And 500 horses ain't bad either!

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope DC does step it up with a coupe. That might just do it.

The looks is certainly subjective, but I am basing my views on what appear to be the "majority consensus" of what I have read and heard. And now the Vette looks almost exactly like the SRT. That, to me, is a big disappointment. In the previous generations there was nothing that could touch the Viper styling, now there is. And there is one that blows it away, the Ford GT.

What I am hung up on is the DC has not kept the distance between the Viper and the competition, in both styling and performance.

Come on DC, prove me wrong! I would really like to buy a coupe that can trounce the competition again (but I don't see that in the cards in the near future).

:eek: :D

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy is doing their best in trying to copy the Viper..

You must be registered for see images

..at the end of the new Chevrolet commercial ,where the C6 drives up a truck, the music being played is "Magic Carpet Ride"!
Next they'll try to put a 500hp engine in a Z06. :smirk: Monkey see Monkey do!

That Corvette looks like a Honda S2000. :D

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my father & I thought the beginning of the new Chevy commercial was an SRT-10. At a quick glance in the new commercial where its loading onto the carrier, its got the same basic profile.

I agree with SylvanSRT that I too like the 1800/yr SRT vs. the 35K a year produced vette...

I see 4-5 Vettes a day on my way to work...
Haven't seen another Viper since October :eek: :eek: :eek:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gawd I can't believe you Gen II guys are still over here bemoaning the SRT appearance. Get over it. It is a done deal now. As far as the base Vette performance versus the Viper it should be about on par with the Gen I (stock). Both at 400 hp and weight within 100 lbs or so. With near equal weight as the SRT the 100 hp difference makes the SRT in a different league.

The C6 Z06 specs are only talked about. I have seen no official information. But the hp would need to be similar to the SRT (475-500) to be competitive as the weight will probably be within 100 lbs. Especially if they do not make a coupe version (I have heard the coupe version is not to be). But sounds like it will be competitive with the Gen II. Maybe that is your real problem.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real problem is that DC has been a let down.

I think most people are in denial that the $30k less Z06 Vette is going to be on par with the SRT (performance and styling).

I could care less if a new Z06 is competitive with an older model Viper, that's just progress. But when it catches up in the same model year, that is a disappointment.

As someone else said, the looks are subjective. And I guess there must be a lot of research that says the mass market will like the styling of the SRT, enough to show that they can sell about 30,000 of that style per year ;)

:eek:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most people are in denial that the $30k less Z06 Vette is going to be on par with the SRT (performance and styling).

I could care less if a new Z06 is competitive with an older model Viper, that's just progress. But when it catches up in the same model year, that is a disappointment.

Okay, so you want to compare CURENT model year. Then please do. The Z06 you refer to is over a year away (closer to 2 years) and specs are written in sand. The current SRT, with 500 hp clearly bests the current Z06 with 405 hp. Now in 2 years if you want to compare the real 2006 Z06 against the 2006 Viper then please do so. But don't compare today's SRT against a hypothetical Z06 from the future and then state it has caught up in the same model year. That is blasphemy. None of us know what the 2006 Z06 will perform like as none of us know what the 2006 Viper will perform like. Period.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The real problem is that DC has been a let down.
Really ... and how might that be? The Viper SRT-10 improves upon its performance heritage in every meaningful and measurable way. :headbang:
No ... according to the General the new 'Z06' will not even be available for sale until August 2005 - that's more than 1 1/2 years into the future. Maybe your crystal ball needs a good cleaning. :D
So tell us ... what car(s) currently available for sale under $100K MSRP (factory trim) offer the Viper SRT-10's all around leading performance? :confused:

:usa:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Snake my crystal ball says the new Vette will be out this year. We shall see.

The Z06 numbers I have seen are pretty close to the SRT, so if they improve then they will likely be on par.

Tell me what improvements DC has planned? I've heard nothing from DC. In fact most of the high performance cars coming from DC wear the MB insignia.

You Gen III guys sure are defensive. I wonder how you will feel when everyone starts asking how you like the new Vette you have. :eek: :eek: Can't say that has ever happened to me. :D

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read the new Vet will be on the streets late summer to early fall 2004. I also read that it is rumored to possibly have a 500HP. badge on it's front fender by 2006 sometime.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vipah, the base C6 is not planned for sale until this fall. Are you saying they will bring out the Z06 at the same time? That is directly counter to what GM has stated. History (and what they have said to date) indicate that the Z06 will come a year or more later.

Regarding future improvements to the Viper do you really expect DC to tell you what they plan on having 2 years into the future?

Not sure what you meant by the MB reference. Are you saying since the merger (so called until the courts tell us otherwise) that DC has reduced performance cars on the Chrysler side? If so what performance cars were there before the SRT-4, the Ram SRT-10, the Hemi Magnum, etc. other than the Viper and Prowler? The Prowlers limited life span was stated well before the merger so its demise was known beforehand. I do not see how the merger has lessened the quantity of performance cars on the Chrysler side. If anything it has increased the level by promoting PVO in place of Team Viper.

And finally, you state the current Z06 numbers are pretty close to the SRT. You really need to take that to the vette forum where they actually believe you.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vipah....It's kinda troll-like to come over to the gen 3 side of the board,and diss the srt,

I love my GTS,but will probably give birth to an srt late 04....vettes can't hang.......

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My MB reference is that the Super High Performance cars seem to have an MB badge. Check out some of their HP numbers.

SRT, have you read any of the z06 tests? Pretty close to SRT there guy. You must work for DC.

As far as DC telling us what is coming out in the near future I guess I don't expect them to. Heck, why should they do that when they can't even get me my Viper mag on time. They seemed to talk about the SLR quite a long time ago, didn't they? How about the supercar at detroit?

I'm not trying to diss the SRT. It is a great performance car (not much in styling IMO). It just ***** to see the Vette equal. Rather than get defensive it would be nice to see some offense from DC.

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee is correct. Estimated. And estimated by MT of all rags...

Also, for what it's worth, Motor Trend selected an electric car as their Car of the Year.

I mean......

REALLY.

i traded in my black 2004 zo6 vette for a black srt-10 the reason bieng that when i bought the vette GM said the car did 0-60 in under 4 sec (bull shish)
no magazine was ever able to get those numbers or their 1/4 times they claimed. everybody got 4.2,4.3.4.5,and even 4.7 0-60 times. i decided to take a loss on the vette and get the viper because thier is no question about its performance.
the new vette posts 0-60 times of 4.1(pure b.s) chevy lies lies lies about its performance numbers i felt cheated every time i read an article about the vettes performance. i bet the new zo6 will be like 0-60 in 3.99 finaly bieng under 4 seconds.

-quickysrt

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRT, have you read any of the z06 tests? Pretty close to SRT there guy. ... It just ***** to see the Vette equal.
And this is what you call close.
Viper SRT-10 Stats:-------------------------------------C5 'Z06' Corvette Stats:
Horsepower: 500 bhp @ 5600 rpm------------------405 bhp @ 6000
Torque: 525 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm------------------------400 lb-ft @ 4800
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec---------------------------------------4.3
0-100 mph: 8.3 sec--------------------------------------9.5
Quarter Mile: 11.77 sec @ 123.6 mph--------------12.4 sec @ 114
Skidpad: 1.05g------------------------------------------0.99
Top Speed: 191 mph-----------------------------------171 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 97 ft-------------------------------109 ft
Slalom Speed: 70.4 mph-------------------------------69.1 mph

Hmmm...don't think it's all that close and I own both.

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE FROM VIPAH

Tell me what improvements DC has planned? I've heard nothing from DC. In fact most of the high performance cars coming from DC wear the MB insignia.

Vipah, here's the latest from DC and it doesn't wear a MB badge...

...by now you've probably heard about this 850hp monster!It's NOT a concept and will be tested by car mags later this year. I hope to see it at the NY Auto Show in the spring.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers I have seen have the Z06 ~4.1 and Viper at 4.0 for 0-60. I don't recall the quarter mile times, but I think the Vette was about .3 sec slower.

Pretty darn close.

As far a the ME412 goes, I don't think it will ever be built, but who knows.

By the way when did DC announce that the Ram SRT would be built? I think it was about a year or more ago. Seems that they do announce new things about a year to a year and a half in advance like all the other manufacturers. They even announced the new Viper with that timing. The only thing they held off on was the skin. Didn't they say 500/500 about a year or more before it came out?

If that is the case it doesn't look like they are planning anything significant until at least 2006.

Come on DC, prove me wrong! Bring out a street coupe with 600hp and F1 transmission!

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<have you read any of the z06 tests? Pretty close to SRT there guy>

-I have both cars also, and the SRT is faster without question. I wonder how many SRT's or Z06's this guy has driven. I think this guy is just upset the Z06 will run with or flat out beat his old GTS, so he bashes the new models, which smoke his oldie, lol. Now if a 550hp+ Z06 does come out, the Viper better answer or it will have its hands full

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of taste. I leased a 99 C5 Convertible and loved it. The day before I bought my 96 RT/10 Viper (Black w/silver stripes) I test drove a 2004 Z06. If I was going for a daily driver, I would have gone with the Z06. Terrific car. But I have an S420 daily driver, so I went with the "Batman" style, guttural, raw car. So far so good. Although, leaving the top and windows at home is a pain. Probably the best reason IMHO to move to an SRT. At least you have your top with you when the rain starts!

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if a miniature mike ditka drove an srt backwards, by how much would he beat the vet. I went to the drag strip w/ stock 99rt last year with my buds vet club, @10 guys all with mods and a few z06s. No one beat me, and no one wanted to talk to me either.

Slience is Golden. I hope to get invited w/ srt this year.

MILES42

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the 3rd GEN Viper, but the rear fenders and door handles remind too much of a 68 Corvette, and the front fenders on production Viper look higher than those first shown at the Detroit Auto Show. The Viper's front end does look a lot meaner than the C6, the C6 looks more like a 360 than a Viper, i really hope than Dodge plays its Trump Card at Detroit 2005, to steal a little thunder from the new Z06

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT needs the comp coupe rear end to elongate the swoop and then not one idiot would think honda/vet!!
Extra weight for styling but what a looker. If DC won't take more cue, then we need several spoiler choices to finish the rear. Adding Autoform body kit, chrome roll bar, and all Mopar upgrades to Factory Options would have really made us happy.

Personally, though, either after driving or getting in, after 2K just looking at the car makes me feel really good now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960