Is GM is testing the new C6 to the Viper?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like GM. Lets use a 7 year old model as the building block of our future. I guess the silver lining is that at least they are trying to stay in the game. That can only help to push Viper to even higher levels.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I saw a '99 Silver Viper at the Spring Mountain track (Chevy sponsored). Chevy owned the Viper and was testing it against a "top secret" new Vette. Looking back, it must've been the Z06. According to the engineers, the new Vette was quicker around the track than the Viper (oops).

Then, 6 months ago I was at Willow Springs the day Motor Trend tested their souped up turbo Focus (and Cobra FR500) against a Z06. Ford actually owned the Z06 and also had a '99 black Viper there. I guess their Viper lost the brakes at Road Atlanta so they fabricated brake ducting out of aluminum for the car. To this day I've never seen cooler brake ducts on a Viper.

Ford, like Chevy, was myopic about their car's (FR500) ability to beat the Viper around the track. Their #1 test driver was turning laps easily 7-8 seconds off the pace of a number of Viper Days competitors and complaining about how bad the handling of the Viper was. The Ford guys, though, were as nice as could be and didn't seem bothered in the least by our questions.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any of the Viper Drivers that have attended Viper Days, may have met GM lead Engineer Jim Mimicker. He is a hell of a driver and a true sports car enthusiast.

Jim has had nothing for praise for the Viper, and was really impressed at how well it preformed right out of the box. I am not surprised that he would now make sure that the Viper has a big influence on the Vette. I know Jim ran in the wheel to wheel series. Maybe getting beat by Vipers caused him to get his team together with a real focus.

I do know that there is NO WAY Team Viper (SVE) will ever let a new Viper out of the box loose to a new Vette. So lets hope the Vette keeps getting more and more powerful, and we should be able to expect a 600 BHP Viper in the next ten years!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for a horsepower war. You've gotta give Chevy credit. Since the Viper has come out it has only gotten one horsepower increase, and the '01s are even a bit slower than the '96s. 10 years ago the Vette was only making 300hp and is already up to 405. It's pretty remarkable that the Z06 was a bit hit and they still did a lot of motor work to it just one year later. It'll only help the Viper.

A lot of Viper guys who don't want a convertible ('03) may just find a new home to buy a coupe if the Z06 keeps getting quicker.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to see the C6 up close and personal soon. A GM exec has offered to give me a preview and possibly a ride in one to compare with the Viper. No photos I am sure, but if they don't mind I will let you know my impressions. I am sure the overall design will be good (most GM products are pretty decent), but I am genuinely curious as to whether the styling will be cutting edge and the performance will be as bold overall. Rumors of a 427 would be very interesting if proved true!

Chris

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick note to let you know that according to a gentleman I met with today from GM HQ, the Lingenfelter 427 for the C6 is FACT and not rumor (he would know). Also closer to 500 HP (or more?) and a early-mid 2003 release. Will let you know more if/when I am allowed. Watch out for the General!

Chris

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PMUM,
Stock for stock, I believe the '01 car is more powerful than the '96, not less. My '01 dyno'd at 408 RWHP at 1050 miles, bone stock. Don't most stock '96s dyno around 400 even? The pre-2000 cars take the lead as soon as you start doing intake / exhaust mods, presumably because of their more radical cam.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">For comparisions, at about 1,900 miles my almost stock (smooth tubes, K&N's) 1996 GTS dyno'd 412.1 rwhp and 463.0 rwtq. No fan was used.</FONT f>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave