Is it true the SRT is not legal for track use?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can run at many VCA events without a hard top. This was done when the RT/10 came out. Now when companies started producing hard tops, then it was naturally a safer thing to have one attached at the track, so most people run with a hard top now.

Janni, you should have expected one variation (even though you could say 2 with the CC) of Viper. Low production vehicles need to stretch out the time line in order to get maximum exposer. I was in those meeting two, and not one time did mention of a coupe come up. This should be no surprise, especially if you follow the history of Viper.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael P - In answer to your question, I pre-traded my 2000 RT/10 in for the SRT. The dealer sold my car in less than a week, so until the new car comes in I am Viperless.

Steve F - The Porsches I spoke about were the club sport editions of the 911 - not the factory race cars like the GT3. These are ordered through the regular dealer network, not through the factory.

Mike Brunton et al. I assume that the two hoops behind the seats are already intended to be roll bars. I just wish that they had made them high enough that they would actually protect me in a roll over crash. If those are not intended to provide protection in a roll over I wish they were not there at all.

As far as asking for a full competition roll cage in the street car, no - I don't believe anyone here has asked for that. I don't get most of the enjoyment from a car like the Viper by driving on the street. Prior to owning a Viper, I enjoyed the MCSCC solo 1 events held at Blackhawk Farms & Gingerman more that any other events I attended, More that autocrosses, and more than track day events with continuous lapping. When I got the Viper, because of the high performance potential, that club required the RT/10 to run with the hardtop in place, and with a 5 point harness installed. Before I had time to modify the interior to allow the harness, I found out about the SRT and because I knew I wanted to trade the RT/10 for it, I didn't want to modify the interior. Because of that I was unable to run those solo 1 events.

What I would hope for in the SRT at this point, as the factory hoops do not appear to be adequate to provide what most independent organizers consider to be sufficient protection, is that a competent aftermarket roll bar manufacturer provide a setup that would be considered sufficient for an otherwise stock Viper be able to run independent organizers solo one and track day events. Although I do enjoy events with Vipers only, I also enjoy running events where a variety of cars can compete together. I just find it more interesting. I do wish that more Vipers would attend this type of event, but locally very few do so.

I apologize in advance if you find my desire for a roll bar that would allow the car to run non wheel to wheel track events without modification to be ridiculous, but I don't understand how a more substantial roll bar would have made the car more difficult to certify in crash testing - had one been planned from the start. Mercedes Benz certainly has considered roll over protection in previous cars such as the SL 500 which had a hydraulic (or electric) pop up roll bar which was tall enough to pass the broomstick test.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "sport bar" in my 99 RT/10 said it was not intended for crash protection. It had no structure and would have torn away in a roll-over. The SRT-10 looks like the driver sits so low, even with a helmet it should pass the broom test. Here's the real question. Are the two roll hoops welded to the structure in the body shop at CAAP, or are they bolted in (and replaceable) like the current Z3?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRick,

I completely see where you're coming from - I just see the SRT as the best of both worlds. Drop the top for summer cruising, and toss a hardtop on for hard running track days.

I guess track officials may or may not allow the roll hoops to pass for racing events. It's interesting to note that the RT/10 roll bar was expressely said by Dodge NOT to be a roll-over protection device, yet most tracks let them run anyways. Granted, most don't know that at your local track, but at Viper specific events they know that... so I'd figure the SRT would be just as legal.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay Mike, I was gone.

Regarding the competency of the SRT as a track car: I'm sure it will be VERY competent, absolutely. I never said it wasn't, and if I did, well, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.

When I said, "at least not legally on the street" I was simply saying that if you cannot use the SRT on the track 'legally' until you get a hardtop and you can't use it to it's full potential on the street 'legally' then where are you going to use it? Sorry, that came out wrong, and it was an ineffective argument. I concede that
smile.gif

The intent of my post was not to debate wether or not the SRT will be track legal, ect. All I meant was the I think it's stupid that PVO/DC brag about the times this car is gonna lay down, then initially sell it without the implement that will allow those times to be accessed. I think selling the hardtop six months after it's debut is a mistake, that is all.

Clint

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clint, the original RT/10 waited longer than 6 month's for it's hard top. And (just for conversation purposes) wouldn't you agree that PVO's job is to make us the baddest Viper they can, and it is our job to find a place(s) to experience that power?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte