Is radiator stop leak bad for your car?

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small coolant leak coming from my water pump seal. Was wondering if anyone had any info on the pros and cons of using a stop leak product. Thanks in advance.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't help, I don't think. Stop leak products are usually designed to dry and harden upon contact with air, so they work OK for static pinholes. I don't think it'll help a rotating seal.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of stop leak as a way to get you home.

After you discover a leak, you should fix it asap. Never think of stop leak as a real repair.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That stuff is designed to fill little holes and to keep coolant from passign through them. Guess what your entire radiator is full of?

Replace the water pump.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They used to make a product called Egg White way back when. It was named after the use of real egg white in radiators to stop leaks on Model T's. The stuff cooked inside the radiator and plugged small pin holes. I am not sure Stop Leak is any better, same principle. Stay away from it unless you want to replace the water pump and radiator both.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a vendor somewhere a while back that had somewhat discounted OEM waterpumps for the viper...can't remember now though where I saw it. I don't think the waterpump is too expensive anyway, I'd just replace it!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM installs a certain type of stop-leak from the factory with NEW cars. While most of y'all say it is bad, i have not had the bad experiences. in fact, with new motor rebuids, i usually throw some in (at the advice of some real motor builders) and they say it is a good thing.

sorry to be the lone dissenter!

JD

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with JD and also agree with the rest of you! I have used a stop leak liquid (not pellets, like in the old Bars product) in my rebuilding of engines as a prevenative thinking a small leak could occur around freeze out plugs and other ares of the engine and have never had a problem.

It's only use is for the Old car salesman that wants the leak to stop long enough to get the car sold and 30 miles down the road. DO the job RIGHT
Change the water pump or gasket.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, that's what I figured. I don't mind replacing it, but it's just such a small leak that I thought I might be able to get away with a cheap fix. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang