Is SRT causing C6 delay?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the impression the C6 is being delayed and that it will have more HP.

This makes sense.

Why introduce ANOTHER Corvette that is inferior to the Viper?

Of course, problem is, when it does come out, it may have the edge.

Unfortunately, D/C probably can't match GM as far as HP technology goes. Look at the accomplishments with the LS1/6 and the Cad V12.

Let's face it, a 10cyl LS6 would be about 5/4(405)=505hp already.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomatper:

Unfortunately, D/C probably can't match GM as far as HP technology goes. Look at the accomplishments with the LS1/6 and the Cad V12.

Let's face it, a 10cyl LS6 would be about 5/4(405)=505hp already.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno if need be, I'm sure the guys at AMG could consult on any aspect needed. Something about 500 horsepower mercedes station wagons that kill vettes.

One of the very few advantages of the merger.

Craig

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line:

When you have 500 cubic inches to play with, making more HP is EASY - if needed. Unless GM ups the displacement - big time - it shouldn't be a problem. Just take a gander at what our tuners can do with the 8.0 Liter, while still retaining drivability, reliability, etc... "No replacement for displacement"

Later

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly believe that the SRT-10 is causing the C6 to be delayed. I think that Bob Lutz does not want to be beaten at his own game. Therefore, I think he is putting off the release and plans to produce a car worthy of true competition with the Gen III Viper.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that is why DC stopped work on the ALL NEW V10. I think each company is playing a shell game, waiting to see what gives with each other. Dodge comes out with the current slightly changed V10 (500 version), GM tries their hand at beating it with the new V12 high tech engine, then Dodge ups the anti by designing a new high tech V10 or V12(???), or Dodge does the AMG thing, which I believe will be a reality.

But, sadly, I'll bet this all comes to an end with another war, gas crunch, economy --- but hope it doesn't!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the C6 delay has anything to do with the Viper. The current C5 is still selling quite well, and I think GM doesn't see the need to change it ASAP when it sells good as is.

I also don't think GM and Dodge are really going for the same market. Dodge would like to attract Vette buyers with it's SRT, and GM would like to sway Viper buyers with things like the Z06. But they aren't actually competing head-to-head just yet - and they aren't again in 2003, so the battle has not started, and I don't think the C6 delay is the first 'victim' of the possible battle.

I also think Dodge has a much more liberal policy regarding making sports cars than GM does. I think Dodge can just keep going with the HP, whereas GM probably can't. Just my opinion though.

Reaction score
Viper will be "King of The Hill" Corvette sales are high volume compared to the Viper. I think the emissions/mileage numbers are averages. Because of the Vipers low production numbers, its mileage has little impact on the average vehicle mileage of DC.
And our Team Viper members will not let us down. My opinion.

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's fun to watch manufacturers try to outrun each other by making 'small' changes to 'best' the other guy.
For you youngsters, it's a shame you missed the fun.
Ford ruled the roost with its V8 (before 1955).
Chevy built a V-8.
Ford went bigger.
ditto Cheby,
Ford went bigger yet.
Chevy added Carbs/cam.
Bigger/Bigger.
Ford added a supercharger.
Chevy added fuel injection.
(All this ignoring the 'little guy' with the hemi).
Since to be considered 'stock' you had to produce at least 50 vehicles, some of the really exotic stuff was available to the local guy with enough money (I seem to remember this is why there were 50 Shelby Cobra serial numbers - even though they weren't all built -- at least then), etc.
And then things really got going with all makes/racing, etc.
Then, in the interest of 'public safety' they all agreed to get out of factory racing.
Then, some 'secret' development assistance/prototype parts started filtering down to the independent (not factory sponsered, of course) race teams and soon it began again.
The 'cheating' with non-official manufacturer involvment together with AMC getting back into the game officially was the spring-board back to factory sponsers, I think.
I have forgotten a lot of the subtleties, but it was fun to watch, wish you had enough money to play, and cheer for your favorite in local bars.
Read up on the 'real' facts instead of my weak memory, and then 'get in - buckle up - hang on - and enjoy the ride.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if the Viper has anything to do with the C6, but I can tell you that Bob Lutz's boss, Rick Wagoner, was very confident that the next Vett would "sway anyone back to a Vett". So I guess they both have a little something waiting?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:
Craig, I thought it was the Viper with plastic body parts where as the C5 used glass?
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vettes are the ones that have always been known as tupperware cars, long running joke. Vipers are RTM not plastic.

Craig

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 was rumored to be delayed because when Bob Lutz took his new position at GM he took some time to review everything in the pipeline. However, the C6 is in fact on schedule.

That the Corvette is not really designed to compete with the Viper should be obvious. The Corvette existed for almost four decades before the Viper and the current C5, which was initially to be introduced in 1993, was well into its gestation before the Viper was ever introduced. That said, now that the Viper is on the scene GM has responded and in fact, both the Corvette and Viper are steadily moving toward each other in performance and features. The engineering mandate for the Corvette is so much more challenging, as Mike Brunton alluded to, than that of the Viper that it is unlikley that they will ever truly meet.

The Corvette has been around for almost 50 years and will be around for many more, perceived delays or not. However, I am not certain the same can be said of the Viper. Two of the people on this thread alluded to things whose import I am not certain they fully understand. One member noted that development of an all new Dodge V10 had stopped while another noted that AMG could be consulted for performance help (not really). Taken in conjunction with Daimler having declined to produce a streetable hardtop version of the next Viper I actually believe Daimler is trying to kill the car.

Daimler's executives are not stupid. They proved they were smarter than most when they duped Chrysler into a "Merger of Equals." That it was a takeover should have been evident long before Chairman Schremmp's little slip. After all, did anyone believe that they flipped a coin to decide on the order of the names in DaimlerChrysler? Daimler does not believe that Chrysler is in any way their equal let alone their superior and merely purchased the company to gain a foothold in what they perceived as the lower end of the market without bringing a Mercedes badged car to that price point. They would also expand their presence in the lucrative US market without having to build up an infrastructure.

There is just one thing wrong with Daimler's view of Chrysler, the Viper. The Viper represents a real threat to Daimler's sense of superiority. Daimler has the astonishing SL55 on deck. Here is a car with 478hp which can easily run to 189mph and a theoretical top speed in excess of 200mph if they could find tires to support the car's weight at that speed. The upcoming SLR which Mercedes is designing in conjunction with McLaren should be even faster and really up the ante in handling which the SL55 does not really have because of its weight. How will it look if Daimler's relatively pedestrian Dodge division produces a less expensive car which can rival or soundly defeat either of these cars on both road and track?

The SRT/10's development was already well underway by the time Daimler took over and took stock of the situation at Chrsyler. Coupled with the Viper's small but passionate following and its strong symbolic presence Daimler saw little choice but to sign off on it. But Daimler has now had time to come up with a plan. The first troubling sign of Daimler's handling of this situation was the notice that the street versions of the new Viper would only be available as a convertible, something which has inspired much anguished debate on this board. Again, Daimler is not stupid. They can read a sales chart and they can easily check preferences and compare sales of the coupe and the RT/10 yet they have decided to alienate the majority coupe buyers by going only with a convertible.

The concession of 25 road racing versions is a small one. This will limit the opportunity of the Viper to dominate racing the way it did when the coupe was available as there are strict restrictions on convertibles entering sanctioned races such as LeMans etc. If people who do not prefer convertibles sit out the SRT/10 such that its sales decline substantially then Daimler will appear blameless when they cancel the Viper due to poor sales.

That a supercar bearing the 3-pointed star would then be the only corporate vehicle standing would appear to be just luck though I believe the term in Daimlerspeak would be a Merger of Happenstance.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell you where but I saw 3 Corvettes with C5 skin and LPE 427 motors. The whole GM crew was there and I was told that those cars are C6 with C5 body for testing. If this will happen then I can see in the garage C6 next to my GTS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery