Is there a trick for getting into reverse?

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there some kind of trick for getting the car into reverse on the first try? I am a new viper owner and have taken the car out only two times. The first time I tried backing it out of my garage, the car would not go into reverse. I very deliberately pushed the shifter way to the right and up, and it looked to be in the reverse position, but when I started to let the clutch out all I got was an awful rattling noise. From what I've read, that's the "Neutral Gear Rattle". So I tried again to get the car into reverse. Same thing. Then AGAIN. Same thing...it just wouldn't go into reverse. So I inched forward a bit using 1st gear, then tried again, and it went into reverse with no problem.

The second day out I only had the problem getting it into reverse on the first try (it went in OK by itself on the second try). Am I missing something here? From what I could tell, I did exactly the same thing on the first and second try. I'm wondering if there's something specific to these cars that makes shifting into reverse a tricky thing. I'd hate to be out in public with a crowd watching me stuck in a parking space cause I can't get the car into reverse! Especially with all the rattling it makes if you give it gas while in neutral. Is that really normal?

- Buzzzz

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have your dealer look into this... Mine goes into reverse fine. If your hearing rattling noise thats not good...
that noise could be your reverse gear grinding because its not
fully engaged.

To be sure though... just make sure you shift into reverse
with very deliberate movements... push the shifter all the
way to the right and keep pressure on it towards the right
while you position the shifter up into reverse. If you still
have problems then take it to the dealer.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is NO synchro in reverse. Try shifting into first gear first, which should align the gears, and then shift into reverse. My guess is that the mesh will work out a bit and it will get easier.

Did you install a skip shift eliminator? If so, that installation, when not perfect, can cause problems with entering reverse - solenoid does not open.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep tabs on what it does the next couple of times I go out with it. It's a 95 with 15K, but I have 100% coverage for the next 4 months from the dealer I got it from. I suppose it's possible that I wasn't keeping enough pressure to the right as I was moving it up, but I doubt it.

- Buzzzz

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CitySnake- no, there's no skip shift elim. in it. Like you mention, it does go into reverse with no problems if I go into 1st gear before going to reverse.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you shouldnt need to inch (thats putting unneccessary wear on your clutch).. just put it into first, and then right into reverse..

i also have a 95 (though not a viper) and it wont go into reverse unless i go to first gear first.

but hey, since you have the warranty for it, complain to the dealer.. he will probably tell you to do the same thing citysnake told you.. if he does, tell him that for 50k (or whatever you paid) there shouldnt be a work around, and the car should run correctly.. if he retorts, ask him what the point of the warranty is if he doesnt intend to honor it..

if you do that, youve got balls my friend..
smile.gif
i know i probably wouldnt..

- eddie -

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Eddie, I realized just after I posted that inching forward wouldn't be necessary; just shifting to 1st then to reverse is all he was talking about. Thanks again everyone. If the simple act of shifting into 1st before I go into rev is enough to make it work, well that's not too much of a hassle. But if this is a sign of something more serious I need to take it in while it's still under warantee. That's why I'm wondering if this is normal for the gen 1's or not.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Buzzzz on 04-01-2002 at 04:39 PM</font>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buzzz- My car does the same thing. I have found that if you let the idle kick down before you try to shift it helps. I think you know what I mean.

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, when yours misses reverse does it make an awful rattling noise when you give it gas? When I tried backing up as described earlier, it made a sound like a marble rattling around inside a vaccuum cleaner.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats the sound of your gears grinding.. its in your best interest not to do that too often, or perhaps never
smile.gif

be absolutely certain the car is in reverse before giving it gas and releasing the clutch..

is the viper your first manual transmission car?

- eddie -

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eddie- no I've always driven standards.
If that noise was the sound of a gear grinding, it was unlike any I'd ever heard before. You can be assured that by the third time trying to get it into reverse, I was EXTREMELY deliberate with the placement of the shifter.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buzzz- Yes, same noise. The gear is not fully engaged. Happens from time to time. The harder I try to get or force it in, The more often it happens.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Reverse is synchronized, therefore you should not need to do the 1st / reverse trick like you did with the old M-22 Rockcrushers and such. If you do and it makes it work, head back to the dealer as the trans needs repair.

Also remember that the reverse gear lockout solenoid allows shifting into reverse ONLY when the ignition is on. You can not, in a properly working Viper transmission, shift into reverse if you have the ignition off or if you are moving forward at more then about 4 mph.

You didn't mention the year Viper you had, The reverse lockout was in all GENII's but don't remember when (or if) GENI got them. Could find out if you're interested.</FONT f>

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

It's a 95 with 15K miles on it. I'll keep notes on what happens as I take it out over the next couple months. If it keeps doing this, I'll make sure to have the dealer fix whatever needs to be fixed before my warrantee runs out (4 months from now). Hopefully it was just a freak occurance, but seems suspicious since it's happened both times I took the car out. It did not make this noise when I tested it at the dealership, nor did it make the noise when we backed it off of the transport truck at the time of delivery.

- Buzzzz

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buzzzz:
From what I've read, that's the "Neutral Gear Rattle".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not NGR, and there is something wrong with the transmission. Maybe not major, however you should have a vipr tech take a look at it.

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Cody. Most people seem to agree that this kind of problem isn't normal, so I'm going to bring it by a Viper tech this week. My repairs are covered for a few more months so I might as well bring it somewhere and take advantage of the fact.

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wanted to give some closure to this thread. I spoke with the dealer on the phone and they said just bring it in and they'll fix anything that's wrong with it 100% free of charge. Thanks again for all the helpful feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine