Is your Viper a KEEPER?

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned my Viper for over 2 years, and my mindset is still the same "IT IS A KEEPER!"
My daughter is now 9, but she knows if she is good one day it is hers.
If she isn't good she knows the horror of www.hemmings.com (Keeps her in check so far).
Just curious if any other owners have plans to keep their cars
longterm and/or pass it on to a loved one?
How long have you owned it?

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 94 RT I thought that I would never modify it OR sell it!! Two months later the mods started and two years later I sold it and bought my 97 GTS (Which I will keep forever
smile.gif
) I love this car.!!

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first bought my 96 White RT/10 five years ago, I was sure it would be with me for a lifetime, and then handed down to my son, and so on. That changed for me when I saw the Silver/Blue GTS on a Viper video. I realized I would give up the RT/10 for that one. This past spring I found one that I wanted, bought it, and the RT/10 was sold last week. So much for keepers. (That reminds me, I've got to change my avatar).

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't kept a Sports car for more than 3 years before. (944TurboS->Mit 3000->RX-7->993C4->993TT->Viper) I've had the Viper for 3 and a half years now. I'm going for a record.

The previous record was a 93 RX-7. I really liked that car, but not as much as the Viper.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my Viper. I want to buy the R/10 someday, but I will have to stick with the GTS. The engines are cheap enough to buy and replace. I'm not holding on to it for collector's reason..just to enjoy for a life time.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 97 for 2 years now and with the mods and changes I made, I will keep it 4EVER. My only goal now is to be like Chuck and get a GTS as well.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on always having a Viper! As of right now, my GTS will be in the family forever! But I thought the same about my Red GTS, until I saw the Silver! I will try to add a RT/10 to the family sooner or later also.
I would also, love to pass the GTS on down to my Son(10 months Old) when he is old enough and deserving enough! By then it will have atleast 750 hp!!
bounce.gif
supergrin.gif
Opps!!, he can't have that one!!
laugh.gif
So he better hope we get an RT/10 too!!

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've wanted this car since the day Dodge announced they were going to make it...while I have only had mine for about 4 months now, I don't intend to ever part with it!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to hold onto things, hence, I'm still married.

I bought my 2000 RT/10 new, because I wanted the most powerful, coolest production car made. I always wanted it, have it, and didn't have to restore something older, which I've done, but no longer have the time to do.

Had many cars with over 100-200,000 miles. I'll keep this one.

Hand it down to my kids? Who knows if they'll want it (girls).

AC

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like many I too would like a second Viper.
I keep working on the Mrs. about an RT/10 or 2nd ACR.
Andrew if your girls are like my daughter you may need more too.
Great to see I am NOT alone.

Velox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one's a keeper. I had a 57 Vet for 20 years, and since then they last 2 or 3 years max. My 99C5 lasted 3 years. I can't imagine what I would ever want different, and I can't say the next generation Vipers do much for me
rolleyes.gif

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. Initially when I bought this car - it was my "dream car" - I thought the look of this car was different than any other car. Power was awesome. Once I got it I started customizing it, still am. However, I recently came to a conclusion. It's really not what I thought it was going to be - I really don't enjoy it all that much. I think the problem is my previous car, which was a Supra TT - worked quite a bit. That car was not only seriously fast, but drove like a "lexus". I've seen some guys on this board mention that they have also owned supras - these guys will know what I mean. When I step out of the viper, I feel like I've been abused. Literally. It's loud (price of no cats), and it's very hot. I'm getting sick of that feeling. Plus I came to the realization that I'm not really a "Big engine" fan. I'll take a turbo charged v6 any day of the week (drove my friend's 02 TT porsche - awwwwesome.) To me, the sound and feel of turbos can't be beat. I know that there are some TT vipers out there but I still think that big 10 will still abuse me. I guess I thought that any power was good, no matter how it was achieved. In my case, I don't see it like that anymore. I'm not trying to start a flame job or anything, I still love the idea of owning something different (like the viper), but I am a little turned off by the car at this point. I'm also very happy for those of you who do love the "big" 10 cylinder power.

If any Supra guys are out there, I'm seriously considering another one next spring. I've said it before, but now I'm really serious. I would appreciate any help locating a stock TT. I would consider an rx-7 too. I have some time though. e-mail me anytime.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to keep our 99 GTS for quite awhile. Great cars will come and go throughout the years and I have no doubt that the performance of the Viper will be exceeded considerably in the years to come. I don't much feel like playing the game of always having the latest and greatest (and fastest) car. It just costs too much money.

I've been running the Viper on road course track days and it is plently of car for me too learn, especially given the wide range of performance mods available. I plan to keep driving the Viper at the track and worry more about how fast I am, rather then how fast the car is, if you get my distinction.

20 years from now the Viper will still be a cool car.

Jim

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone: Beware of Greg. He's been under his own Sun Tan bed too long. He may as well side with the Taliban; prefering a Supra over an all American Viper....and making a comparison to a Lexus. HA!

Last week at Nassau Coliseum, I beat the Supras, Lexus', Porsches, and a few Vettes thrown in, like they were standing still. As for his complaint about the loudness, heat, and the being "abused".....one word....PANSY. Greg.....why not go with a VW Bug? I'm sure that would be quiet and calm enough for you. An RX7??? Please.

And Greg......that story you told me that happend on the Hutch...do you think the same responce would have come about if you were in a Supra?? I think NOT.

See you Sunday.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very funny Andrew. Actually I think the girl lifted her top because of me and not the car! Ya right! Keep in mind, I don't have arms like you any more, more like pipe cleaners now.

Anyway, I still like the turbos. I should never have driven the 911 tt, it got me wanting that boost again. I think I'm going to "boost" my friend's 911!

V10POWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my car last Friday. It drives totally different than I expected, which is not a bad thing. It is pure muscle, but a torquey type of power. I used to have a 9 second Z28 that I raced, and I liked the rumble and rough driving of that car. The Viper is far superior, but still has some muscle car characteristics. I've always wanted a Viper and with just the looks you get driving it, is worth the price. I would like to improve the exhaust sound of the car, but that's it. I'm already used to driving it and love it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I really like it when the Corvette crowd stares at your Viper coming down the road, makes me smile real big.

This is a true sports car and no matter what choices I could have made, like a new Vette, I would not have been happy unless I bought the Viper. I'm honored to be part of the minority ownership of a vehicle like this.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I played wish on a Viper the first time I ever saw the concept car in '89. Being a "working stiff" I never thought I'd own one. I will have my 94 for 6 years on Aug 11, and can't imagine ever getting rid of it. I bought it used (3 months shy of 3 years old w/ 2,800 miles on it). I would love to add a GTS someday also.
Too bad my car is in the shop, and will likely have the engine sent back to Arrow for rebuild due to "94 head gasket issue". Thank goodness for entending he extended warranty! Hopefully it will come back stronger than ever. I never was happy w/ the torque numbers it made anyway
smile.gif
I will dyno it after break-in and post before and after results.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a keeper...and I'm saving for a creampuff GTS...also in Black...so if you have a Black GTS you eventually plan on selling...please keep the miles down for me!!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT size="3">100% Lifetime Keeper,</FONT s><FONT size="0">though with Kelly T's caveat...</FONT f></FONT s>

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,

Funny you should say that. I just sold my Supra TT last month to get a 97 Blue/White GTS. I loved my Supra for the reasons you said above and the fact that it was so easy to extract hp out of it. Hell, my friend just got his dynoed at 700rwhp although he just sold it as well. Also, the market for Supras right now was pretty good as I just unloaded my 94TT with 42k miles for $33k. When I first looked into getting a Viper, I test drove my friends 2002 RT/10 and was actually disapointed and thinking of not selling my Supra because I was used to that smooth power and the Viper did not seem that well put together compared to my Supra. Plus I saw all of the TSB's on the Viper compared to the Supra with 0 recalls had me feeling a little hesitant.

Well, I took the plunge and couldn't be happier. I love that loud exhaust tone in my ear (thanks to TNT headers & exhaust) and the looks are just amazing. This car is actually much tighter than the RT/10 I test drove (probably due to the open top). Also, I love how impractical the Viper is. The more impractical the more I like it, just like a true race car. Will I ever go back to a Supra? I highly doubt it unless they come out with a new one with more balls than the last one. The only thing I miss about the Supra is the fact that I never had to worry about any engine/safety issue due to the car being so well built.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, when I first bought my Viper 3 years ago I figured I would only keep it 3-5 years max and then trade up for a Ferrari or something. So I only bought an extended warranty good through July of next year. But, I love this car so much and it would rip my heart out to sell it, so I plan on keeping her forever. Also, the next generation Viper does nothing for me. It's fugly and although it may be faster, with my mods and a supercharger next Spring I won't have to worry about speed. I think this car will go down as a classic and I don't want to sell it and see one 10 years from now and think to myself I wish I had kept her. I am not keeping it thinking I will make money on it or something as I think there are better ways to invest your money. But, none of them are as fun as this. Besides, it's all paid off and I have no reason to sell. I'll just have to save my pennies so I can have the Viper plus a Ferrari or Lamborghini down the road.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUN RA KAT:
I bought my Viper as an investment and as the ultimate fun car to drive. I bought it new just to make sure that the break in proceedure would be followed to the letter and that the Viper is never abused. I haven't even driven it at 3/4 snake pedal yet and have only hit 100 MPH twice (my Ram pick up has gone faster many times!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You poor guy. You have not gone over 3/4 pedal or over 100 MPH barely? What fun is that? This car was meant to be driven and driven hard. It can take the abuse. My advice is let her rip!!!!!!!!!! Put the pedal to the medal!!!!!!!!!!! Redline baby!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaawwww!!!!!!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unclgreggy:
Funny you should ask. Initially when I bought this car - it was my "dream car" - I thought the look of this car was different than any other car. Power was awesome. Once I got it I started customizing it, still am. However, I recently came to a conclusion. It's really not what I thought it was going to be - I really don't enjoy it all that much. I think the problem is my previous car, which was a Supra TT - worked quite a bit. That car was not only seriously fast, but drove like a "lexus". I've seen some guys on this board mention that they have also owned supras - these guys will know what I mean. When I step out of the viper, I feel like I've been abused. Literally. It's loud (price of no cats), and it's very hot. I'm getting sick of that feeling. Plus I came to the realization that I'm not really a "Big engine" fan. I'll take a turbo charged v6 any day of the week (drove my friend's 02 TT porsche - awwwwesome.) To me, the sound and feel of turbos can't be beat. I know that there are some TT vipers out there but I still think that big 10 will still abuse me. I guess I thought that any power was good, no matter how it was achieved. In my case, I don't see it like that anymore. I'm not trying to start a flame job or anything, I still love the idea of owning something different (like the viper), but I am a little turned off by the car at this point. I'm also very happy for those of you who do love the "big" 10 cylinder power.

If any Supra guys are out there, I'm seriously considering another one next spring. I've said it before, but now I'm really serious. I would appreciate any help locating a stock TT. I would consider an rx-7 too. I have some time though. e-mail me anytime.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My advice to you, sell your Viper and buy a Lincoln Town car or something. Gheez.
rolleyes.gif
I am so sick of Supra owners and their "this Supra is like a Lexus B.S. I read on the Supra Forums all the time" I am not flaming Supras or anything, and my buddy owns one and frequents this board too so I will be nice.
supergrin.gif
Sure it is nicer than the Viper inside and is modified a lot cheaper than the Viper. He can beat me from a roll too. But, I guess if it's some really refined car you want then go back to the Supra. When I get my supercharger next year I can forget about most of them pesky little Supras. Personally, I could give two **** about the heat, the stiff ride, the plain interior on the Viper. You don't like the loudness of the Viper? Gheez. Too each their own I guess- I have headers, Borla cat back, no mufflers, and hi flow cats and it is loud as all heck-and I love it that way!!!!!!!!!!!! Loud, in your face, aggressive styling, unique, and down right **** my Viper is. Please sell the Viper and go back to your Supra and buy a couple of Fast and Furious DVD's while you're at it.
supergrin.gif
(Flame suit going on as we speak)

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my '01 RT-10 from Bill P. in February '01 - called him about a month ago while considering a deal on a new GTS. Then I came to my senses. Have owned this car since it was new, it currently has a pinch over 1000 miles and isn't giving me any trouble. Decided to MAKE it a KEEPER. Plan to enjoy it for many years to come. I still head out to the garage just to stare at it and enjoy the smell of the leather. What a treat.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my 1st Viper in early 94 when they were at a premium, next I purchased Serial # 25 GTS which I sold after about a year to a guy from San Fransico, about a month ago I bought a 01 Yellow GTS and have a 03 Silver ordered. I sold my 94 to Doug Walsh last week. The funny thing is I couldn't even afford the 1st one, I am currently looing for a good schrink. They have got to quit making cool cars Oh yea I also have a Prowler and a Audi TT. I really love that little rocket.I've got to keep this short because I think the utility company is going to turn my power off.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat at least you know what I'm saying.
For all the others who seem to be so insulted by my comment, the supra was used as an example of what type of power I personally liked and to explain why I felt the way I did about the viper. I too used to think, "the louder the better." Now I'm not into it as much. If you like the way the car is, I'm very happy for you. Enjoy. some of you seem to get really offended by the idea of a "rice burner" being faster. Or talk of another fast car. Why? do you not feel secure with what a great car yours is? I'm not saying I don't like my car anymore - I'm just saying it wasn't all I had hoped for.