Isn't it amazing how sharp and appealing Gen. 1 cars still look...

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn\'t it amazing how sharp and appealing Gen. 1 cars still look...

I am closing a deal on a '94 which is currently owned by one of the nicest guys I've met, we are both here in CT. When I went to look at the car I couldn't believe the amazing condition the vehicle was in. It has been worked on by Tator, and the owner too outstandig care of the car - it has 8K miles. Before seeing the car, I was very much interested in a Gen. II, but didn't want to get into the 50 K zone if I could avoid it. My biggest concern with Gen. 1 was that the car would look 'dated,' ie. the tri rims, interior, etc. After seeing and driving the car in person, I can not explain how beautiful the car is - well, most of you guys know first hand!!! And yes, the sidepipers MAKE the car in my opinion. After that Sunday visit, I never considered an Gen. 2. So, my general commentary that I am throwing out for feedback is this - how is it that this design, Gen. 1's and 2's for that matter hold their appeal so strongly? I mean, I would not even consider any other car from the early 90's...even Lambos and Ferrari's can look dated at times. Something so perfect happened when Vipers were first designed, I mean for a nearly 10 year-old car, the RT/10 I am buying is more impressive than most new cars. Even little children respond to the car, indicating that Vipers offer some sort of intrinsic response based on looks alone. It is rather amazing if you think about it...like fine art, timeless...I am even keeping the tri rims.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Isn\'t it amazing how sharp and appealing Gen. 1 cars still look...

Shadow
Best of luck with your 94, I think the gen 1's are beautiful as well.My 96 which has both gen 1 and gen 2 features doesn't have the sidepipes which are the signature of gen 1's but has the advantage of lower compression, gen 2 suspension and the gen 1 pistons which has its adavntages when supercharging which is my fall project. Chuck will take good care of your snake and I'm sure you'll do the same. Enjoy and join the NY/CT VCA

Regards

Adam

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well, looks wise, you arent looking at much difference between gen1's and 2's, only minor differences, like the sidepipes, hood, and slight less aggressive front fascia. if you were to dress up a gen1 in gen 2 wheels and such, it could pass for a gen 2 to the untrained eye. However, the untrained eye probably doesnt know what the difference is between a gen 1 and a gen 2. :confused:

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Amen! IMHO, the only thing holding back the Gen I was the wheels. I got mine with wheels from a '01 and viola.

I'd say 95% of people I come across (including "car people"), can't spot the major differences between Gen I and Gen II. When I tell people that our car is a '94, the most common response is genuine amazement followed by "I would have said it's brand new". Click the link in my sig if you want to have a look.

The Gen I and IIs are already classics if you ask me. The car still turns more heads than anything else we come across, despite being 10 years old. The body seamlessly combines both **** and muscular; they'll never go out of style.

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

SHADOW

The Viper's original design approach is unique in concept and appearance......it shares it's aggressive stance and exotic good looks with no other automobile - period. It is a finely tuned, purpose built thorobread with a single function - to go fast and look great doing it!

The Viper has few peers in the automotive world, past and present, that can generate the level of excitement and awe that the Viper can. Wether it be just parked at the gas pump or cruisin'on a Saturday night - attention and appreciation is what you will come to expect.

Welcome to the world of Viper ownership......

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PS

After almost three months of ownership, my take on it is:
"After you've owned a Viper, everything else is just a car."

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Amen! IMHO, the only thing holding back the Gen I was the wheels.

Are you kidding me ? I've got the chromed tri spokes and would change them for anything...

244Summer20030014_klein.JPG

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know one person in CT that moved up from a 93 to a 2002 GTS. When I asked him how he likes the GTS he said; He missed his RT10 and could not justify the cost for the upgrade.
I have never driven a Gen II, very happy with my Gen I. But I am on a budget.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Isn\'t it amazing how sharp and appealing Gen. 1 cars still look..

Have to agree, "Everything else is just a car" ! ..After my '94 was updated with GTS wheels and GTS hood it looked better. I couldn't go back to side curtain windows though.. The GTS roof line is a killer. Makes all the difference to me. Enjoy your car!

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shadow,
This was my 94. Tossed still think it looked better than my yellow one but the yellow is growing on me. I would no go back to a Gen I after owning a Gen II (door handles and pwr windows) but everyone has got to start somewhere.
190Chads_Viper_with_top_on.jpg

190Chads_Viper_side_view_top_on-med.jpg

1901Viper_group0003-med.jpg

Chad Harrison
Snake Hydes :usa:

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I lub my Gen 1.5, big smooth white and blue hood, absolutely beautimous. She looks Mahhvelous just Mahhvelous!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its not all that amazing. The exterior has gone untouched since its inception. All but the wheels, sidepipes and hood.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The 3 spoke wheels chromed look great. My only dislike on an RT is the soft top. The above red hardtop looks nice, but due to the complexity of the soft and the look, I personally would never have this on my car. Other than the soft top, a Gen 1 would be a great car to own.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

how is it that this design, Gen. 1's and 2's for that matter hold their appeal so strongly? I mean, I would not even consider any other car from the early 90's...even Lambos and Ferrari's can look dated at times.

The reason is that curves are timeless, while angles/edges quickly become dated. Take a look around at any car out there, the ones with curves don't seem as old, and even new ones with angles/edges will soon look dated. That's why some of the old Lambos & Ferraris look dated, and that's my concern with the SRT-10, that it will also look dated, probably before the gen1s & gen2s.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The reason is that curves are timeless, while angles/edges quickly become dated. Take a look around at any car out there, the ones with curves don't seem as old

Good point, had never thought of it that way. A classic Jag is still a beautiful car today, whereas a Lambo from the same age just looks old.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I love my Gen I. Course the exterior of mine is what I'd consider the best of both worlds.. Sidepipes with updated hood and wheels, that along with the hardtop and vipermania windows, 98% of the population thinks it is a new car.
I am currently a die-hard Gen I fan.

212273newestwheels.jpg

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ever see a older countach (sp?) Now they look SOOO old.... I always thought they look soo purrty..until a couple years after they came out.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score

roadkill, that purple is RIDICULOUSLY beautiful, almost as beautiful as sapphire ;) .

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

slaughterj hit it on the head. Curves can be timeless.
Here's an old design that I believe is as timeless as our vipers.
288vca12-med.JPG

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And there you go, though not yet controverted here, I think that validates my point :)

bhchase

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Glad to see there is some GEN-1 fans out there. I have been hesitant to post on this tread because all i have is an old 93 R/10, but i love it and think its NEAT ! I am old and ugly, but i look GOOD sitting my VIPER!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

288vca12-med.JPG

Ding!

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think a friend of mine, who flew F-14 Tomcats in the Navy, and was impressed by the speed gave a unique comment. "This car is evil looking and beautiful at the same time".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad