It was parked.. Part II...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meet up with Chuck, Antonio yesterday to look at a Viper for John in N.C. at *******! (Where else!?) It was a large ******* with parking spots all around the restaurant. Two vipers parked side by site right in fron of where we were sitting in front of a large window. A C-5 convertible pulls up and snags a space right next to us without even looking at the cars. He proceeds to walk inside and grabs a table. Our cars were parked right by the entrace / exit(only ONE way to get in or out) so anyone that leaves HAS to walk by the cars. It was sooo funny. EVERYONE that walked by from Harly drivers, older folks , young kids, stopped and googled and the vipers, from front to back , etc. NOT ONE person even glanced at the vette. I honestly could not beleive it. Needless it was only there for about 20 mins., I guess he couldn't take it any more.. I WISH I had my camera and snapped a shot of the crowds around the viper for the entire hour or two we were in those spots.

And poor Chuck, trying to get that young ******* girl to ride in your 2nd Viper.! Shame on you, she could have been your daughter! Leave them for me!!!
You must be registered for see images

Man, when ppl talk about gawk factor, they ain't joking..

Gerald

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck,

I was there , but it was totally not what I expected.. I got tired of waiting, getting yelled at by cops saying I could not park, looking for you guys, going the other way, looking for you guys. So I just jetted, next time..

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one had a great time last night. I would like to thank Tom Welch for inviting me to ride shotgun with him during last nights festivities. I had no idea what to expect. But, after all the little rice burners and chop breaking cops left, things got interesting.

Tom's first race of the night was with a supped-up Camaro on Nitrous. Tom rolled up behind him and you could smell the Nitrous as we pulled into the right lane and walked about 4 or 5 car lengths away from him on the motor only. Tom then slowed down and did it again just for good measure. The guy in the Camaro was a real nice guy and later came over to Tom and commented on how fast Tom's snake was.

The next race was with a Super Charged Mustang GT. This guy followed us out of the parking area and onto the bridge. Tom waived for him to hit it and once the guy took off, Tom dropped the hammer and put a solid 3 to 4 car lengths on him as he shifted into 4th gear.

After that pass Tom mention it was time to get serious. So, he pulled down a side road and jumped out to turn on his Nitrous/Propane system. We then drove up to the Tampa side of the bridge and parked on the side of the road and waited for the next victim.

I was hoping that we would run into one of those TT Supra guys that talk so much smack on some of the other boards. Well, we didn't have to wait long before a Red/Burguandy TT Supra with a wing on the back came across the bridge from the St. Pete side and made a U-turn right in front of us. I pointed him out and Tom fired his snake up and moved in for the kill.

Once again, Tom waited for the guy to hit it and I must say that I was really disappointed with the TT Supras performance. I don't know if it was a BPU+++ or Single Turbo Supra that we were looking for. But, the results were the same. Tom put a solid 3 to 4 car lengths on him before shutting it down after shifting into 4th gear.

After that race we went back to the parking area and Chuck and Tom did some racing. The big finally of the night came when this guy with a built motor in a Chevy Nova challenged Tom to race for money. Tom declined his offer to race for money. But, said he would be happy to make a pass across the bridge with him for fun. Everyone there cautioned Tom not to race the guy and commented on how bad the Nova was going to beat Tom's Viper. The Nova driver told Tom that he would race him later because he was hoping to find a better race.

Well, by this time it was almost 3:00 AM and Tom walked over to the guy and mentioned that we were going to leave and if he was interested he should follow us out. All of the guys hanging with the guy with the Nova were joking around about how bad the Viper was going to lose. The guy with the Nova even told Tom that he would disconnect his Nitrous bottle and spot Tom one full car length in order to make it a fair race. Tom declined the offer and told the guy to keep his bottle hooked up. Tom said, lets just roll up on the bridge at about a 20 MPH and then we can hit it.

Well, that is just what we did. When the guy in the Nova hit it, Tom dropped the hammer and when the Nitrous kicked in I was thrown back into my sit. The Noise coming from the Nova was almost deafening and as I looked back Tom was pulling him really hard. The Nova was quickly losing ground and once again when Tom shifted into 4th gear he had put a solid 3+ car lengths on the guy. I couldn't believe it... especially after everyone had so confidently told us we were going to get smoked by the Nova.

Well, I don't think the guy in the Nova could believe it either and he rolled back up beside us and motioned that he wanted to try it again. Once again Tom waited for him to hit it and the results were the same. I almost felt bad for the guy driving the Nova. He and all of his friends were so confident that he could beat Tom's snake. As he drove by again, Tom gave him the thumbs up and thanked him for the race. The guy looked completely devastated as if he couldn't believe what just happened.

I know this post has been long and I apologize for rambling. But, it was a great night (after the cops and rice burners left)and I really enjoyed meeting all the guys from Tampa (Chuck, Gerald, Antonio, Lee, Joe, Mike and his son).

As for Tom Welch, in my opinion you are the real deal my friend. Not only am I totally impressed with your car and driving skills. But, you have earned my business as well. Just let me know the next day you have available and I will drive my 2001 GTS from Orlando to your shop in Ocala for the complete BTR Performance Package. I don't know what all you have done to your snake. But, what ever it is... I want it on mine.

Byron

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Norman,

I am new to the world of Vipers and drag racing. So, please excuse any technical errors I might have made in my post.

Tom mentioned that the distinct smell coming from the Camaro's exhaust ment he was probably spraying NOS. As it turns out, Tom was right. The guy driving the Camaro later came over to speak with Tom and said that he was spraying a big (don't rememeber the size) shot of NOS.

But, it didn't matter... Tom easily walked away from the guy with his own bottle turned off.

Byron

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLS:

After that race we went back to the parking area and Chuck and Tom did some racing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, c'mon Byron, you can give me a better write up than that! At least say that I was the only one to come close to hanging with Tom!

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like he was running some sort of high octane gas. Sunoco, Unical, VP etc etc. Usually has a beautiful smell. Makes you think of the race track. Thanks for the report. I love it.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norman,

Nitrous although it burns very clean, has a distinct odor, light, somewhat sweet but definately different than racing gas.

We were running with the windows down so that we could communicate with opponents, therefore we were able to smell the nitrous cars as they took off across the bridge ahead of us. (cars line up like staging lanes behined each other in pairs waiting to race.)

Also, a nitrous car will exude more black smoke than normal with the initial shot of nitrous. This was very noticable while we were following Chuck as he dusted off a juiced mustang.

Take a sniff next time you have the opportunity to attend a dyno event at which a nitrous car is making a pull. The odor is original.

It indeed was a great time. The best part was that everyone returned home safe, and I don't believe any of the vipers got to see taillights of their respective opponents.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom , that sounds GREAT!! I love it! You need to tell us more about that guy in the souped up Nova! haha! Bet he felt like a looser (literally, hehe)! I'm sure we'll see him out there again, and he'll have even more! Maybe I'll have some HP#'s soon..

Gerald

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Meet up with Chuck, Antonio yesterday to look at a Viper for John in N.C. at *******! (Where else!?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks again guys for checking it out for me! I tried to call the guy today to ask some more questions, but no luck reaching him, so I just emailed them.

BTW, does that ******* have a cybercafe, seems you guys are there a lot and post a lot!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by slaughterj on May 27, 2001 at 20:22</font>

Reaction score
BLS and company,

Where are you guys doing all this racing? Are the cops asleep around there?

I'd be interested to hear more about the typical understanding everyone has of what will take place each week. Is it just a place where people gather to find other people to drag?

Rollo

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few bridges that span the Tampa Bay area. (Connect Tampa bay to Clearwater, Saint Petersburg, check your map out, you'll see how long they are). Fortunately the counties go RIGHT in middle of the bridges, therefore the juristiction is half. And it's only a few lanes, so the cops are not on the bridge. Before the bridge, there is miles of beach on both sides were ppl will thousands even) hand out and "stage" if you will. It's like a free car show and drag race all at the same time.
The best part of it is, that you have to drive there as it's on the street and only street legal cars can make it. One of these days, I'll bring a videa camera and tape us!

Gerald

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I didn't mean to leave you out. But, I wasn't riding with Tom when you raced him... So, I couldn't offer up any details.

Every time I did see you... you always had a crowd around your car and some young hottie sitting in your front seat.

From the way things looked to me... you were more interested in loving than racing last night.

Byron

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
I wish you had your camera to take a picture of the Vette guys face!!!

Laura

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad to have met Byron this time and it was nice to see Tom when my car actually worked!

It was funny to see the cars follow the Vipers around when we took off, like flies following a moving cow...LOL

I'll be at the races again after I get back from Italy this summer, maybe this time Gerald will stick around and Steven can show us his Stang.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:

And poor Chuck, trying to get that young ******* girl to ride in your 2nd Viper.! Shame on you, she could have been your daughter! Leave them for me!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're cold Bro. You should have stayed with us at the Gandy Bridge. Everytime Tom Welch BTR or I would line up against somebody, a dozen Mustangs would line up behind us and try to stay with us across the bridge.

FYI Tom beat me, but I think the valve on his NOS bottle had a leak.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Thats cold!(leaky n20 line)....I feel confident though that your "34" car is faster than your RT.

BTW, have you raced Mike yet in his new ride? I was just too tired after all the action to hang out past 3:00am, but wanted to ask a few more questions.

GOOD KILLS ON THOSE STANGS!

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'm starting to feel better about # 34's quickness. I need to take it to the dragstrip to get some good launch practice in.

Mike doesn't feel his new ACR is as fast as his previous Viper. He and I are going to Sebring on June 9. After that let's get together in DeSoto or Orlando.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vip-RT10:
like flies following a moving cow...LOL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad analogy Antonio, I thought it was more like those little fish tagging along with the big bad shark.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollospec:

Where are you guys doing all this racing? Are the cops asleep around there?

I'd be interested to hear more about the typical understanding everyone has of what will take place each week. Is it just a place where people gather to find other people to drag?

Rollo
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope Rollo, the cops aren't sleeping. They chase us out occasionally but leave us alone usually. In the 20 years (sad ain't it) I've been doing this I have never seen drugs, alcohol or fights at any of these gatherings. Just some trash talking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala