Jacking up a Viper on a 4 post lift????

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best way to jack the car up on a 4-post lift so that I can take all four wheels off. My 4 post lift has two jack trays and I'm not sure of the proper and safe way to do this. Where should I lift the car from and where/how should I support it? This is my first winter with the car and I want to take the wheels off to clean and paint the calipers while I'm at it.
Thanks, Sam

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a bottle jack, get a large capacity jack, put it under the wheel assemble, jack up then put a jack stand under each wheel till you get all four up and off the runway ...should be able to remove the tires...then...be careful and slow ...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raise the viper off the ground using the lift...position 2 or 4 jack stands on the frame near each wheel and then slowly let the lift down (checking the jack stand positions periodically) until the viper rests securely on the jack stands. I've only done 4 jack stands (all 4 corners in the air) once...it makes me a little nervous. I usually just do 2 jack stands (either front or rear) at a time and keep the wheels that remain on the lift chocked.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raise the viper off the ground using the lift...position 2 or 4 jack stands on the frame near each wheel and then slowly let the lift down (checking the jack stand positions periodically) until the viper rests securely on the jack stands. I've only done 4 jack stands (all 4 corners in the air) once...it makes me a little nervous. I usually just do 2 jack stands (either front or rear) at a time and keep the wheels that remain on the lift chocked.

Yep:):D:smirk::2tu:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How i appreciate a midrise lift. My best investment yet...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same here. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the sissors jack that comes with the car. Mine was all rusty so I put my Ingersoll Rand 2135 TiMAX 1/2 on it and jacked it up with no problem. Now I also have a bridge lift. Make sure you block the wheels. I've had my 4 post for 5 months and wonder how I lived without it.

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam, what brand lift do you have?

It's an Aresco Lift

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aresco shows they have jacks for their 4-post lifts. Have you checked to see if that might be a worthwhile solution for you?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased 2 RV leveling jacks. I then built some extended, flat surface arms with angle iron that would contact the frame points, and then bolted them to the leveling jack. For $100, I could lift the car 4 wheels off using my impact wrench and 3/4" socket.

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bridge jacks seem a bit pricey. I have two jack trays and I'm assuming there's a way to use them to jack up the vehicle. I'd like to be able to use the lift in the midway position to work on the calipers and clean. I don't want to do anything unsafe. Somebody told me to use two small bottle jacks in the jack tray to lift the car, then jack stands to support it. Just not sure if thats the way other people do it or the proper locations for jacks and stands.

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased 2 RV leveling jacks. I then built some extended, flat surface arms with angle iron that would contact the frame points, and then bolted them to the leveling jack. For $100, I could lift the car 4 wheels off using my impact wrench and 3/4" socket.

Thanks Tex, do you happen to have any pictures of your contraption?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bridge jacks seem a bit pricey. I have two jack trays and I'm assuming there's a way to use them to jack up the vehicle. I'd like to be able to use the lift in the midway position to work on the calipers and clean. I don't want to do anything unsafe. Somebody told me to use two small bottle jacks in the jack tray to lift the car, then jack stands to support it. Just not sure if thats the way other people do it or the proper locations for jacks and stands.

I have a four post lift with jack trays, but the problem is the jack locations on the Viper are behind the wheels which happen to be exactly over the lift ramps. I have no idea where under the car (front and back) would be a good idea to jack it up to get the wheels off the lift while the car is on the lift. It would be helpful if someone with a 4 post lift who regularly jacks the car up while on the lift would show some pictures.

It would be nice to take the wheels (or one at a time) off the car and have the lift at eye level in order to clean. I want to do this sometime so I hope there is a good solution.

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a four post lift with jack trays, but the problem is the jack locations on the Viper are behind the wheels which happen to be exactly over the lift ramps. I have no idea where under the car (front and back) would be a good idea to jack it up to get the wheels off the lift while the car is on the lift. It would be helpful if someone with a 4 post lift who regularly jacks the car up while on the lift would show some pictures.

It would be nice to take the wheels (or one at a time) off the car and have the lift at eye level in order to clean. I want to do this sometime so I hope there is a good solution.

I finally got the balls to lower my car down on to jack stands. I didn't want to extend the jack stands to the highest points so I put a 8"x8" cinder block under them.

IMG_03791.JPG

IMG_03811.JPG

After I was done my neighbor comes over and looks it over. He says "do you think those cinder blocks are strong enough to hold the car up"? "I don't want to scare you, just the engineer in me asking the question".

So now I'm feaked out and worried about the car falling down, so I put wood blocks in the jack trays and raised the lift up so that the blocks are just under the frame but not touching it. So if the jack stands fail, the car should rest on the blocks.

What do you guys think about the cinder blocks?

IMG_03841.JPG

IMG_03861.JPG

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta admit I was not a fan of the cinderblocks when I saw them there. I think I'd rather put the jack stands all the way up.

I do like the wood blocks as a safety. When I was changing the axels on my wife's Passat and used a few 6x6 blocks under key spots as a backup. Granted it would have been scary to have the car fall to the blocks, but I wouldn't get killed or lose a limb.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never get under a car supported by cinder blocks, especially when placed like that. At least rotate them 90 degrees so that the hole faces up and down...there's a reason why you can't see the holes in the cinder blocks that make up a home's foundation, and it has everything to do with strength. I'm guessing the only reason those didn't crumble was because the jack stands were placing the load on the outside edges of the blocks, where most of the meat of the block is.

Regardless, not a good idea, especially when it can literally make the difference between life and death.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look like concrete blocks buy either way I wouldn't use either type.

Some construction projects call for a larger masonry block than a standard brick, but solid concrete blocks can be very expensive and very heavy. One common compromise are largely hollow masonry blocks known as cinder blocks. Cinder blocks are also sometimes referred to as concrete blocks, breeze blocks, or concrete masonry units (CMUs), though these terms have nuanced differences among them. Cinder blocks are generally lighter than solid concrete blocks, which makes them easier for brick masons to place in position. The hollow spaces in cinder blocks also provide some natural insulation or allow reinforced concrete to be poured inside the rows of masonry.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An absolute NO to the concrete block idea. I have jack stands that have an extra locking mechanism so I really don't worry any about using them. I will use some timber as you have when I'm going to leave the viper up on jack stands for more than just a few hours.

You must be registered for see images attach

Torin 6-Ton Chrome Jack Stands

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't recommend using the cement blocks. Just use the strength of the jack stands. I NEVER take chances like that.
I simply use my brother-in-laws 2-post lift. :D

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concrete blocks actually take a long time to fully cure and reach maximum strength plus the weight they carry relies on the block being positioned correctly so the weight is evenly distributed. Automotive applications are typically seen in trailer parks or yards featured on the "American Pickers" TV show.:lmao:

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeking redemption back into the Viper world. The cinder blocks are gone and replaced with wood blocks. Thanks for the input and setting me straight.

IMG_03922.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456