Junkman, Any advice for graduating from PC7424 to a Flex3401?

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says: I have used a PC 7424 for a couple years now on my cars and feel I am ready to upgrade. So, I just bought a new Flex XC 3401 VRG HD model. The HD has a 25' cord for those of you that are curious. I always use Pinnacle products, such as the Advanced Swirl Remover, Advanced Finishing Polish, and Souveran paste wax with Lake Country Pads (orange, white, and blue). Yes, the Pinnacle products are pricey, but it seems to work great on my red and black cars. Do you have any advice for changing to the forced rotation of the Flex? Chance of burning through, etc? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I need you to answer this question. You say that you have been using the PC for a few years now. Thus, I'm assuming that you have completely fixed the paint on your Viper. If that's the case, why do you NEED the Flex? What made you want to get that machine or, what need do you have for it?

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First, I need you to answer this question. You say that you have been using the PC for a few years now. Thus, I'm assuming that you have completely fixed the paint on your Viper. If that's the case, why do you NEED the Flex? What made you want to get that machine or, what need do you have for it?

^ THIS. I was wondering the same thing.

OP
OP
P

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wanted to be able to correct paint quicker. I also have a rotary, but I do not feel comfortable with it. The PC takes a lot of time with great results, but I think more power will help with even better results for tougher jobs. Yes, I did correct my Viper with the PC and my black Acura GSR, but I have other cars as well (57 BMW Isetta 300, 71 Z28, and the daily drivers). Plus my dad wants me to do his SVO Mustang, 1970 Z28, 1931 Chrysler Street Rod, Volvo S90, as well as their daily drivers. In addition, I have been known to detail a few of my friends custom bikes and cars. So, I have a lot of work to eventually do. I have a lot of time to do this work over the summer. AutoGeek had a decent sale recently and with Flex price increases for 2013, I figured why not try a different machine that so many rave about.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, with that said, the Flex will do work somewhat faster than the PC. However, do NOT get the notion that you can get away with the same stuff that you got away with while using the PC. The Flex will remove paint off edges if the clear coat is thin in those areas. The Flex is also picky about the pads that you decide to use. For example, the Hex Logic pads (which cut extremely well on a PC), make the Flex a beast to control. They do not work well on the Flex whatsoever. On the other hand, CCS and Lake Country pads are a lot easier to control.

The Flex should be looked at as a complimentary polisher and NOT a stand alone polisher. It compliments the PC when you need more umph, but should never be used after your paint has been completely fixed because it removes more clear coat than necessary. This is when you need to break out a PC. You only want to remove that clear coat that is necessary to fix your paint and nothing more.

My advice to you is to be VERY understanding with the polishes and pads that you decide to use with your Flex and always remember that your Flex can remove paint off an edge with little effort. So you better have your disclaimers ready to be signed if you decide to work on someone's car that has thin paint. And whatever you do, don't even think about using that rotary. Not even on your OWN car. If you're going to be working on other people's cars, you should really invest in a quality paint thickness gauge. It only takes having to paint one car before you to realize just how much that hurts the ol' wallet.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! The Flex is an amazing machine! You definitely need to respect edges and high spots. That said, I have never damaged paint with a Flex and have worked many shows with it, allowing even children to use the Flex.

Also, I use the Adam's pads and they work fantastic! I have both the Adam's GenIV pads in stock, as well as the GENIII pads (at amazing discount rates!). PM me if you need pads/polish.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is to enjoy the Flex and its new found correcting ability. I prefer to use Menzerna products with mine, I love 85rd. Just be careful around sharp edges. Some people say it is hard getting used to the rotation being the opposite of a rotary and PC but I never even noticed until somebody pointed it out to me.

OP
OP
P

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thank you for all your input. I had the chance to briefly try out my Flex and it seemed like a completely different animal compared to the PC. Both are great polishers, but I think the Flex is more advanced. It is definitely a lot quicker with great results and that is exactly what I wanted. I'll still keep the PC, but mainly use it for light work, such as applying glaze and waxes.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thank you for all your input. I had the chance to briefly try out my Flex and it seemed like a completely different animal compared to the PC. Both are great polishers, but I think the Flex is more advanced. It is definitely a lot quicker with great results and that is exactly what I wanted. I'll still keep the PC, but mainly use it for light work, such as applying glaze and waxes.

... and light paint correction, unless you're into removing more clear coat than necessary. Remember, you only have so much clear coat on your car.