Just passed 500 miles this morning and

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took my new 05 SRT-10 Comm. Ed. out to make favorite place near the airport to do doughnuts, practice launching etc. and what is up with the tires on this car!? THEY ARE A POS. I couldn't hook up to save my life. My impression is that there is a lot less traction than the ole' 18" Pilots that came with my ACR.

So what are my options for different (non run craps I guess) tires if they even make any 19" tires for our car? And if they don't, what wheels work (18") that don't require brake modification/relocation? Is this possible? Like will BBS (ACR or LM) work? Then assuming I have to get different wheels what do I do about a spare? Am I just f**ked if I get a flat on a road trip?

Oh yeah as long as I'm mad as hell (but I'll probably take it) what's up with the rear suspension? Someone used the term 'jiggly'. I think that's a pretty good description. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. From what I've read, Motons (Club sport) are the way to go. Fine, but for about $5K installed, that's too much for me (hell that's more than half of a Paxton :) ). Especially since I won't track the car. Occasionally, I may drag the car but that's about it. So is there another (less expensive) solution? Different springs, ability to take off shocks and adjust like the old GTS's, etc. are things that come to mind.

I'd be real interested in what you all think and am definitely open to suggestions.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your cold tire pressure (meaning you have not driven on the tires in past 3 hours) is at least 32pounds, 34 is better, this will help the tires hook up. Yes, door panel recommends 29, but that's way too low for spirited driving - I'm sure it is fine for softening the ride and tire wear.

Just the same, if it is cold (below 45F) the tire compound is fairly hard and will tend to be slick until heated up. I just checked current Albuquerque airport weather and it's 32F and been below 32F most of the morning, if you are at a higher altitude, well I'm sure it's even colder.

About jiggly, yep, it is a little bit. Funny that you talk about getting new tires and wheels, that would easily set you back 5K, might want to just get those motons after all.

If you get non run flats take one of those fix a flat cans with pressurized sealant, cuz there's no place to store a tire that big, plus you would pretty much have to take 4 tires because they are all unidirectional and a pigmy spare isn't going to help.

-J

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your cold tire pressure (meaning you have not driven on the tires in past 3 hours) is at least 32pounds, 34 is better, this will help the tires hook up. Yes, door panel recommends 29, but that's way too low for spirited driving - I'm sure it is fine for softening the ride and tire wear.

<font color="red"> I'll try that later today. </font>

Just the same, if it is cold (below 45F) the tire compound is fairly hard and will tend to be slick until heated up. I just checked current Albuquerque airport weather and it's 32F and been below 32F most of the morning, if you are at a higher altitude, well I'm sure it's even colder.

<font color="red"> Yep. I drove for about an hour this morning so the tires would be warm and I hit the airport with 501 miles on the car. It was 28F I think.
</font>

About jiggly, yep, it is a little bit. Funny that you talk about getting new tires and wheels, that would easily set you back 5K, might want to just get those motons after all.

<font color="red"> I know and if Motons are the only reasonable option I may bite the bullet. That just means other mods will have to wait. Better handling then power in my book. </font>

If you get non run flats take one of those fix a flat cans with pressurized sealant, cuz there's no place to store a tire that big, plus you would pretty much have to take 4 tires because they are all unidirectional and a pigmy spare isn't going to help.

-J

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might consider KWs for about a thousand less. I'm looking at them real hard (meaning as soon as I have the bucks).

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM is making a some shocks to fit the SRTS that will fit the rear without binding. I think the rear shocks are the problem to replace on the SRT's. I WOULD NOT spend that much money on shocks :evilmad: I don't care how good they are. :curse:

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM is making a some shocks to fit the SRTS that will fit the rear without binding. I think the rear shocks are the problem to replace on the SRT's. I WOULD NOT spend that much money on shocks :evilmad: I don't care how good they are. :curse:

I agree. $5K for Motons and $4K for KWs is fine for track use and they offer much adjustability but I think this is overkill for the street. On the GenI/II's there were much cheaper solutions. They weren't the 100% solution but 90-95%. Eibachs, Hyperco springs (especially for ACRs), taking the stock Konis off and manually adjusting them were some of the things that come to mind.