K 40 radar detector

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 03 with a K40 radar dectector system already installed. It is in the front grill and controlled under the dash. I read this thing is not that good??? Should I replace it or (I know this is a very ignorant question) can I use the detector in my daily driver to enhance it or will they interfere with each other?

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never tried the K40 but like most people I use the Valentine one and have the ****** 9500ix as well. Both are good but I give the nod to the V1....it's hard to live without the arrows

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the ****** Passport 9500iX .None of the radar detectors are good if you're the only car on the road;).However they're good picking up radar signal over the hills,so you can slam on the brakes before the copcar shows:lmao:.

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the Cobra iRadar a month ago and it has already paid for it's self.
It comes with their AURA system that tells you where speed cameras and speed traps are set up.
It works along with my iPhone and has some cool features. Plus it detects all radar forms.

You should look in to it. Way cooler than the Valentin IMO.
I can't help myself when it comes to stuff and the iPhone.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked my ****** 9500IX so much, I bought a second one for my DD. They both paid for themselves within a couple of months. I won't drive without one ... ESPECIALLY one that works! Haven't tried the V1, but I agree that the Radar Detector sites that do testing is a good place to start. I ran a Cobra and the ****** in the same DD for a month before I decided to pitch the Cobra (low dollar model) and get another ******.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the Cobra iRadar a month ago and it has already paid for it's self.
It comes with their AURA system that tells you where speed cameras and speed traps are set up.
It works along with my iPhone and has some cool features. Plus it detects all radar forms.

You should look in to it. Way cooler than the Valentin IMO.
I can't help myself when it comes to stuff and the iPhone.

I looked into this detector and it gets terrible reviews. Everyone seems to say the app is really buggy. I don't think I'd like draining my phones battery just to have radar detection either. Cooler maybe...but a very old Valentine still seems to do a lot better.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have the K40 installed in my 98 GTS. It has both the front and rear detector, as well as the optional laser jammer/diffuser. The reviews on it are top notch as far as fighting laser, and it does work. The only problem I have with it is I have to turn it on after the car is running. The detector freaks out if it's in the on position when cranking the vehicle. It basically causes it to fail the self-diagnostics.

I know this thing works, as I've had those stationary radar displays on the side of the road read absolutely nothing, or _ _ as I drove by. I also picked up a cop over 1/2 mile away while driving at 2AM and managed to sneak by without raising suspicion. I'd say keep it as long as you have the optional laser jammer.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the stationary signs that tell you your speed that use laser. You must live in a hi-tech city out there! All of the ones I've ever passed are shooting plane old radar. We have speed cameras that use laser, but they just mail you a ticket. I did fly by one near a friends house to see if I would block it. Been about 6 months and no ticket in the mail.

I've always had ****** brand detectors and swear by them. I've got the built-in with the front and rear diffusers in the Viper and an older 8500 in the DD so that I move it to whatever car I might be driving.

You never really hear much about the K40's. They've been around a long time, but I would guess there's a reason that they've never become a major player.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never really hear much about the K40's. They've been around a long time, but I would guess there's a reason that they've never become a major player.

I hear the main reason they never caught on is that they cost a fortune to install. From what I've heard, you could pay 10+ speeding tickets for a fully featured installation.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the install is that same as my ******, which no, it isn't cheap. But I see your point since ****** has a lot of cheaper dash mount models to make the name more common. If they only had the built in versions, they might be the same way.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some areas don't use laser so it would be a waste to buy a laser jammer if the local PD only use radar. The passport SRX is a radar detector/laser jammer combo which works great for both sitiuations. The unit does cost about $800 or so though. I run a passport 8500 and a SR7 laser jammer on my DD.

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the K40 in a vehicle and I have a Passport 8500 both worked great. One thing I did not like about the K40 was no way to mute it; so if you are being followed it is going to drive you nuts!
I have never considered spending the $ for the V1 since all independent test results keep showing the Passport and V1 equal to each other.
Ray