K&N Filter warning

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to get my Duramax towed. Cause K&N filter oil from the air filter had caused the Mass air flow sensor to read incorrectly. Aparently this is a commong problem. GM has issued service bulletin about this problem and the same problem has been experienced on Fords also. I will no longer install K&N air filters on any vehicle with a mass air flow sensor.

Luckily the Viper does not have a mass air flow sensor. I even wonder if the air intake temp sensor is affected by oil getting on it. You may want to take electric contact cleaner and clean your air intake temp sensor.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this happen before. You must lightly oil the filter and let it sit for a good 24hrs before installing. I have had one on my VR4 since I bought the car many years ago and never had a problem with it. And I have also never had a problem with one on any other car with a MAF sensor that I or family member owns.

Mike, don't blame the filter, blame whomever put too much oil on it.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn't include any oil or anything in my K&N kit...what are you supposed to exactly put on the filters before installing???

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They didn't include any oil or anything in my K&N kit...what are you supposed to exactly put on the filters before installing???

If they are red then they were already oiled at the factory. (I think they all come ready to install).

OP
OP
Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deisel vehicles have so much suction even right from K&N caused an issue with my truck. The viper has allot of suction also and could easily pull the oil out of the filter and contaminate the idle air control or map sensors

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deisel vehicles have so much suction even right from K&N caused an issue with my truck. The viper has allot of suction also and could easily pull the oil out of the filter and contaminate the idle air control or map sensors

some useful info, thanks Mike.

Think S&B would be an issue as well?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been attempting to find a problem with "Sticking Idle". One of my questions was "Are you running K&N filters? Some of the guys replied "what does that have to do with it". My concern was that the oil might have contaminated a sensors.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Deisel vehicles have so much suction"

Why do diesels have so much suction?
The cam?

High compression. They don't use spark plugs, it's the high compression that creates the ignition. Therefore they have alot of suction.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you using the "stock " factory airbox to put your K&N in or did you use the after after market box?

Cudaman :usa:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracy,
"High compression. They don't use spark plugs, it's the high compression that creates the ignition. Therefore they have alot of suction."

I don't see what compression has to do with the quantity of air sucked in.

An engine with 400 cubic inches ***** in the same quantity of air if it has 7:1 or 21:1 compression.

Right?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracy,
"High compression. They don't use spark plugs, it's the high compression that creates the ignition. Therefore they have alot of suction."

I don't see what compression has to do with the quantity of air sucked in.

An engine with 400 cubic inches ***** in the same quantity of air if it has 7:1 or 21:1 compression.

Right?

The difference is that a spark ignition engine throttles the inlet flow such that the air volume under part throttle conditions is reduced. SI engines must maintain a small range of fuel and air ratio, therefore when at part throttle both air and fuel are reduced. Diesels operate without a throttle, thus airflow through the engine is near constant regardless of the gas pedal position (only controls fuel flow, not air flow), with speed being the only variable.

That means the diesel flows considerably more air overall given that the SI engine is not constantly at WOT. Even at idle the diesel is flowing at maximum. Now this is flow and not suction. As it is unthrottled it is near atmospheric pressure, thus low suction. But since the air cleaner is upstream of the throttle body, the filter only really sees a flow. The pressure drop across the filter is quite low.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,
Everything sounded good up to this point,

"Now this is flow and not suction. As it is unthrottled it is near atmospheric pressure, thus low suction. But since the air cleaner is upstream of the throttle body, the filter only really sees a flow. The pressure drop across the filter is quite low."

But you are right in your explanation of why the diesel air flow is higher.
I never had much to do with diesels and I never thought about how they were controled.
No throttle plate is the answer. Thanks.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, in general diesels do not use a throttle body. But newer diesels intended to meet 2007 emissions may use a throttle to provide a pressure drop to accommodate EGR.