Kansas City Dyno RESULTS (photos too!)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Editors note: As this BBS allows a limited number of photos in each post, I chose to break it up into three - this one and the two "replies" that immediately follow. The pictures are relatively small so should load quickly. There are some fun stories buried in here too!)

Will we or won't we?? That was the question Saturday night as the various weather people forecasted everything from partly cloudy to constant thunderstorms for our Dyno Day yesterday. We decided to be optimistic and called it a "go". At 3:30 AM we started getting some serious rain, but by 5:30 AM it was just cloudy. I vowed to be the first one there at 9:00 AM, but Matthew beat me there. He was to set the pace for the rest of the day:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1997 GTS: 434.2 rwhp, 469.4 rwtq
Mods: Roe Racing tubes and filters</FONT s>
</center>

Matthew then installed the Belanger intake system which were sent by Tom Welch of BTR. Looked awesome!

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">RESULTS: 439.9 rwhp, 478.0 rwtq</FONT s></center>

Yours truly made a couple runs and it was OK. Didn't let it cool down at all as the other members wanted to get their runs in and I had just dyno'ed a couple months ago. Here were my numbers from the run with a little cool down:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">2000 GTS: 435.2 rwhp, 479.7 rwtq
Mods: Tubes and filters, Snake Oyl rear muffler delete</FONT s>
</center>

I gave up and we were on to our next run. Randy brought his bone-stock '99 GTS and was less than thrilled with his first run: 400.6 rwhp and 444.1 rwtq. He added a set of Roe Racing smooth tubes and filters and did a quick run (no wait for cool down):

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1999 GTS: 410.4 rwhp, 456.0 rwtq
Mods: Roe Racing tubes and filters</FONT s>
</center>

Although I am sure he should have gotten 15+ hp out of these great tubes and filters, we ran it hot and probably didn't get the full effect. Still, Randy loved the difference and bought them on the spot! Next up was Gary with his very rare black '93 RT/10 (one of a very few black cars with windshield-integrated antenna):

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1993 RT/10: 381.3 rwhp, 452.4 rwtq
Mods: NONE (bone stock)</FONT s>
</center>

Gary then left, brought back his highly modded VW Bug (Porsche motor) and dynoed that one. He then left again, brought back the RT/10 with smooth tubes and filters added. Results? 395.9 rwhp and 466.1 rwtq. Pretty awesome!

After Gary we had Marcus with his stunning yellow and white 2001 GTS:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">2001 GTS: 428.6 rwhp, 473.8 rwtq
Mods: Tubes & filters, Borla cat-back exhaust</FONT s>
</center>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next up was Kory with his gorgeous 1998 GTS-R (#30 of 100):

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1998 GTS-R: 413.9 rwhp, 460.8 rwtq
Mods: NONE (tubes and filters are stock on this car)</FONT s>
</center>

Next up was the Viper we had all been waiting for: Kendall's Hennessey Venom 600 RT/10. When they wound it up for the first run it was incredible. The car absolutely ROARED and would cause your lungs to pucker up. It was great! Kendall was a little disappointed with the run, having expected 535 rwhp at a minimum (he has a plaque from Hennessey that said it was 645 hp at the flywheel). Sounded incredible, but not quite what he wanted:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1998 Venom 600: 507.7 rwhp, 517.6 rwtq
Mods: Full Hennessey Venom 600 package</FONT s>
</center>

Next up was Mark with the top non-tuner car of the day. His 1996 GTS had some nice runs:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1996 GTS: 442.9 rwhp, 491.0 rwtq
Mods: Tubes, filters, full Borla exhaust</FONT s>
</center>

Our regional President, Bob Long, was next on the wheels. His '99 RT/10 had a fresh set of tubes and filters his son had installed the day before. Gotta love the last of the old-style cam, as it really ran strong!

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1999 RT/10: 432.5 rwhp, 484.9 rwtq
Mods: Smooth tubes and filters</FONT s>
</center>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next car has a funny story behind it (bear with me). Mason has two Vipers, a '94 RT/10 in yellow and a '98 GTS in red with gold stripes. Well, he could only drive one down, so he brought his GTS. I offered to go pick up his RT/10 and just leave my car at his house. I had to go that direction anyway to drop my older son off for batting practice. It would also allow his wife to get an early ride home from the dyno shop, as she wasn't overwhelmed with watching the various cars dyno. He thought I was doing him a favor, but the truth was that I was SERIOUSLY excited to drive my first Gen I or RT/10! Well, I picked up my son in this gorgeous RT, top off of course. He thought it was the coolest! I happened to swing by my other son's baseball game where my lovely bride and young son watched in awe as this bright rocket pulled up. I gave a grin and a wave and was on my way back to the dyno. Now, during the entire day the weather was deteriorating. By the time I brought my older son home from batting practice (it lasted all of 20 minutes), the skies were getting dark and lightning was starting to crack. I, er, drove quickly down the Interstate to get to the dyno shop (hauled a$$ to be exact). As I got one exit away, the temperature dropped about 20º and the cars in front of me started throwing up rooster tails of water. It was darn near a flood, but it was NOT raining! Mind you, I was in an RT/10 with no roof or windows to be found. I kept my fingers crossed and took the exit for the dyno. Still not a drop of rain. Pulled up in the soaked parking lot at the dyno with every Viper owner eye on me, most of which were laughing (especially Mason). They were CONVINCED I had been soaked to the bone in the torrents that had fallen just moments earlier. Nope! Dry as a bone. Now I have to figure out how to afford an RT/10 to add to the stable...

OK, so we put Mason's '94 on the dyno and it was every bit the monster I suspected:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1994 RT/10: 411.1 rwhp, 489.1 rwtq(!)
Mods: Racing muffler, cat delete, tubes & filters</FONT s>
</center>

We then plopped his '98 GTS on the dyno and it did just fine:

<center>
</center>
<center><FONT size="4">1998 GTS: 432.2 rwhp, 483.5 rwtq
Mods: Tubes and filters</FONT s>
</center>

The rain was still coming down, so Mason's RT/10 spent the night lighting up MC Racing. My GTS ended up in Mason's garage for the night, as the local hail wasn't worth bringing my car home. I shot video of every run (with Matthew and Angie's help in my absence) as well as still shots as seen above. We had a GREAT time overall, even when the weather went to crap. The Vettes we invited didn't show up, other than Randy's son with his yellow 2000 (301.7 rwhp & 327.8 rwtq). Probably due to weather. Besides Gary's VW (he was devastated with only 115.1 rwhp and 121.1 rwtq), there was also a supercharged BMW 540i that showed up. He was confident of 400 horsepower, but it ended up at 300.3 rwhp and 291.4 rwtq. Beautiful car!

Whew! If you made it this far I thank you. I also wanted to thank Mark and Angie of MC Racing who did a FANTASTIC job for us. It looks like Mark may be getting some tuner-type business from us as well, as he really knows his way around cars and could probably help install the stuff from Roe Racing, BTR Performance, etc. We look forward to doing this again, especially since everybody is now eager to improve their numbers. Of course, since Gary L showed up from Topeka to let us know his RT/10 was currently in Doug Levin's capable hands, we better hurry!!

Chris

PS. Sorry I had to break it up into THREE posts!!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post and pics!!
Numbers look VERY GOOD!
Couple questions:
1) Are you reporting SAE corrected numbers?
2) What was the average correction factor?
3) What was the average temp. and bar./vac. pressure and at what altitude.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cody - Thanks!

LV - The numbers are indeed SAE corrected. I don't know the factors off hand as I didn't get a print out of each run (yet). The individual owners got them and I chose not to print mine. I do know it was around 65º and the barometric pressure had to be doing some wacky stuff with all the storms in the area. I will be getting all of the runs on a diskette and can post the curves if the owners don't mind. My plan is to put these dyno runs (video) on a CD ROM, complete with stills of their dyno sheets. Should be pretty cool!

One interesting side note: Some of the cars that have been run the hardest produce the most horsepower. Hmmm...

I am glad somebody read this post - it was a lot of work!

Chris

Gear Grabbn Gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
I just wanted to say thanks for all the extra effort you have put into this post to share everyones dyno runs. It was awsome to watch and listen to each car as they ran on the dyno. I WILL be giving you a call when I get my car back, and set a time for a dyno run.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Great Job Chris! There should be a static link to this piece, as it will continue to be of interest to all!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys! I will try to upload some video (and sound!) of a couple of these runs as well. There is NOTHING more awesome sounding than a Viper at full throttle - even when it is standing still!

Chris

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great posts Chris. Made me grab my dyno sheets from last summer and start comparing!

Also was nice seeing the diferent Vipers!

Thanks again!

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great post Chris....was a little disapointed with the results at a recent dyno day in illinois. i have a 2000 RT/10 with tubes and filters and 27,000 miles. the first run was a max 397.3 hp and 435.7 torque the second run was 386.3 hp and 421.6 torque.....and i had the best numbers for a car with my mods...others there showed up to 10+ less hp...probably due to the few miles on their car. so when i got home and opend the august issue of motor trend there were the numbers i was expecting to see. i once asked someone why they would buy such a great and fun car to drive and store it most of the year and their reply was..." resale value " and i said ...if you wanna make a couple thou in the same amount of time buy some stocks...at least they won't mind sittin in a portfolio month after month. and yes....i have a 5/100,000 warranty. happy driving all.

Rick

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris, when they strap the cars down for the dyno pull, where did they attach the rear straps to the car? At our local shop they used the lower A-arms and some were wondering about whether or not this was a good practice.

Just curious...

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, Bless you, lots of work and very intersting.
Let me add something you all could find useful: I have performed many pulls over the years on dyno's, not all vipers of course but I found an interesting phenomenon that may be a reason for your questioning some numbers. I noticed that you are using air filters that are drawing their air from behind the vehicle's radiator. Now that is OK? perhaps, I can't quaintify it under real road conditions but I can say you are losing power on the dyno.
Do you remember reading or seeing the Vipers that have an aftermarket product called the Chiller on them? Essentially they allow cooled air to enter the engine creating about 20 to 30 HP. Well, what is happening here is exactly the opposite, radiator heated air is entering the engine.
Back a few years ago we were doing some pulls on a Ford Econoline 460 ci engine. The intake box and plenums were very restrictive so we were doing some pulls with air coming direct into the throttle body which was then pulling radiator heated air. After building a cardboard air deflector so we were getting room temp air vs. heated air we found 18hp difference. I think the factor for power loss is 4% for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit but don't quote me.
You will notice a stock Viper draws air forward of the radiator. The only good way BUT the best way is the old RT/10 mouth breather, that's another whole subject tho. Hope this helps.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John Hennessey I notice that you list 10.1 as your best et though its old...I read in Motor Trend that you did 9.9 @ 138...Do you have a video of that run?

BTW your Venom 800 has got to be the best bang for supercar buck..It will kill the Mclaren not to mention any Porche, Farrari etc at much less in terms of price....I want one...Im amazed that you used to tweak cars like mine...Wish I could upgrade to a Viper now...

Back to the topic...Those nums for the stock gen 2's are impressive.....Ive read on "another Sforums" that since Vipers make 415hp to the wheels that means they are really 500hp cars if you factor in the 17% driveline loss..Is this true

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21