KBB or Nada listing

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I have tried using these tools to get a rough estimate of what my car is worth but neither of these sites list the
G5 viper. Has anyone else noticed this?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Too new , and not enough listings for their guesstimate. Everyone forgets these are guides, not gospel and they can often vary over 10,000 from one to another on a Viper. MMR , Edmunds, Kelly , NADA, etc. have varied greatly from the time the Viper came out. When one is totaled it can leave alot of differnence and open to interpretation, so often a huge spread is beneficial to the consumer.

Kelley often uses Auction prices, which I have always though devalues the Viper, as nice ones , in my mind , should not have to go there?But, just like Forums, pricing out there gets affected by what they go for and what individuals post ( whether true or not).

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a gen V, unfortunately the cash value drops every time dealerships discount the price on their new unsold Viper inventory.

:(

Anybody can go buy a brand new one now for less than you would want to let yours go for at this point.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree with Allan the price of your Gen V keeps dropping just like mine will because some dealers are discounting heavily so buyers will buy a new one before they buy a used one. You could try and trade it to a Viper dealer on a 14 and might work out better. Good
Luck.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that trading it in often is better for the consumer in many States , tax wise. I have been surprised , over the years, how often folks forget this little issue , and sell their car for more than the trade in given, but then lose the tax savings ( if their State bases it on the difference between new and the trade in) . There are exceptions, like Missouri, where the consumer has six months to buy a new vehicle and credit the difference, tax wise, from their sale. Of course, some States are taxed on the full amount, so it makes no difference, but something to consider on large purchases.

Had and example last year where the guy sold his vehicle for 2K more than we offered on trade, but he lost almost 6000 in tax benefits -- so his sale actually ended up losing him close to 4,000.

habeb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that trading it in often is better for the consumer in many States , tax wise. I have been surprised , over the years, how often folks forget this little issue , and sell their car for more than the trade in given, but then lose the tax savings ( if their State bases it on the difference between new and the trade in) . There are exceptions, like Missouri, where the consumer has six months to buy a new vehicle and credit the difference, tax wise, from their sale. Of course, some States are taxed on the full amount, so it makes no difference, but something to consider on large purchases.

Had and example last year where the guy sold his vehicle for 2K more than we offered on trade, but he lost almost 6000 in tax benefits -- so his sale actually ended up losing him close to 4,000.

Interesting, I was always under the impression the income tax would apply if there is a gain. Since in most cases a car is sold for less than the purchase price, resulting in a net loss, income tax would not apply.