Keeping the battery charged...anyone use this method?

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using the cig lighter as a way to keep the battery charged with a trickle charger? Was wondering if I could make a plug for tne battery tender, and just use the cig lighter as the way to keep things charged versus raising the hood? Is this possible?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do. No problems at all.

BTW you do not need the hood raised to use a tender on a Gen I/II. Just mount the tender uner the elect junction box and access it through the gill. I believe Hisserman posted a picture a while back of his.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Accessing the electrical connections through the fender gill is very easy. We do not actually mount the tender on the car, however we make up a simple wiring harness that uses the positive jump start post under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment and connects the negative to the ground post on the frame in the engine compartment just to the rear of the left front wheel inner fender. Then we use enough wire to be able to pull the connections through the gill and fit quick disconnect plugs to both the car harness and the battery tender. Then all you need to do is reach through the gill to hook up the tender.

I have also found that using a tender AFTER driving the car is very beneficial, as you would be supprised how low the battery voltage is after a drive even though the car has been runnig for a while. Bringing up the battery to full voltage after a drive really seems to prolong battery life. I was able to get 7 years out of a Mopar battery this way. We do this system to all our cars.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I use a trickle charger for several years now. Easy and no problems at all.
In the Viper(s) connected to the cig lighter.

For some reason the cig lighter charging does not work in my Jeep or Minivan?

Prolongs the life of a battery, as mentioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery