Keyless ignition

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding disabling the steering lock? Do you risk having your insurance cancelled if the car get stolen and they find out the lock was disabled or a "broken off" key was in the lock?

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess i dont see how they could blame that for the car being stolen but they are insurance companies so you never know. My ultimate goal is going to be able to disable the lock and not have a key in the ignition

Paul

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would almost bet there's just a rod or something that you could probably take out that actuates the steering lock. I know on older cars (at least my 71 Vette), there's a spring loaded pin in the column that goes through a plate with several holes it in just behind the steering wheel hub. That's why the wheel doesn't always lock until you turn it a little bit (the pin doesn't always line up with a hole when you take the key out). Pretty sure there's just some little linkage between the key and the pin that you could probably disable by some means. I would imagine newer vehicle are probably fairly similar, though where the locking device is would probably be a little different and harder to get to to prevent theft. I'm guessing you'll have to pull the column apart pretty good to find it, but I think it would be better than snapping a key off in the lock in case you even wanted to go back to stock.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering the issues with parking brake, wouldn't the remote start be a real bad idea?

In the video it shows the new Viper having it. I also had it in one of my previous Mustang manual and did not have a problem at all with it. I had the feature with my Viper alarm I had installed and installed legally with it. Its a few steps to get it to work correctly. If the steps aren't done then the remote start feature is not activated. The car has to be in neutral for sure.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the video it shows the new Viper having it. I also had it in one of my previous Mustang manual and did not have a problem at all with it. I had the feature with my Viper alarm I had installed and installed legally with it. Its a few steps to get it to work correctly. If the steps aren't done then the remote start feature is not activated. The car has to be in neutral for sure.
Have you done some research on the parking brake problem on Vipers? Seems to me the less you use parking brake on Viper the better.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i dont see how they could blame that for the car being stolen but they are insurance companies so you never know. My ultimate goal is going to be able to disable the lock and not have a key in the ignition

Paul

Really.. you don't see how an insurance company could blame you for the theft of your car when you disabled the mechanism that helps prevent vehicle theft? So the insurance company would be unfair if they didn't want to pay for your $50K car that you facilitated being stolen by disabling the lock? Uhhhh...ok...........

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If someone want to steal a car they are going to do it steering wheel lock or not. If you are worried about your insurance then just don't do it

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend against disabling the steering wheel lock. I work in the insurance industry and rest assured if the car was stolen and the insurance company found out you had disabled the steering wheel lock mechanism, they would be well within their rights to challenge your claim for benefits (really it's a "no brainer"). This ignition system is a cool feature in the cars that are designed with them, but that's the point...those cars were DESIGNED with this feature. Disabling the lock mechanism to install this feature should be entered into with the expectation that you may have to pay out of your pocket to replace your Viper should it be stolen.

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Knowledge. Maybe everyone should discuss it with there agent and get it in writing if they say it wont if they are concerned .

You realize that cars that are Designed with this feature don't have the steering locks right ? The Gen 5 doesn't have a steering wheel lock. So if I am a betting man you will now say true but they have other build in safety devices probably like ignition immobilizers and such right ? Well this system also has that."In addition to the security of always knowing your vehicle is locked, iKey™ locks out your entire ignition so that your vehicle can only be started when you are present with your iKey™." I would say that this system is probably adds more security than our current system.

Either way I will probably end up doing it and posting how to do it. People can make up their own minds on if they want to do it or not.

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe even there is a way to improve the RFID system by hooking up a actuator that when the car is unlocked with the RFID it pulls the pin back on the steering lock hmmmm I could sell that too

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This mod is obviously not for everyone and clearly some don't understand not only its comfort benefit but its additional security measure. I'm sorry but if your viper is stollen you will either find it totaled or stripped down to the frame. No insurance agencies will be able to prove that you had anything to do with any steering wheel lock modification. Move on to another thread gentlemen and let those who are interested continue on with the conversation about this mod.

Last edited:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This mod is obviously not for everyone and clearly some don't understand not only its comfort benefit but its additional security measure. I'm sorry but if your viper is stollen you will either find it totaled or stripped down to the frame. No insurance agencies will be able to prove that you had anything to do with any steering wheel lock modification. Move on to another thread gentlemen and let those who are interested continue on with the conversation about this mod.

Do what you want obviously... I have afull understanding of the comfort and that this may potentially add security... but if you disable a designed theft mechanism on your vehicle ,and then in a recorded statement taken after a theft you do not share that you disabled said mechanism... you just potentially committed insurance fraud my friend. But hey...do what you want, it is definitely your right. By the way, I would not post on an internet forum that you did this, because the other investigative technique that insurance companies are becoming very sophisticated about is social media and the internet.

I don't post a whole lot on any forum, but in this instance I feel compelled to make sure that anyone who reads this thread has a broad spectrum of information to consider in their decision. A stolen Viper is not an inexpensive claim and an insurance company is probably going to be very diligent in their investigation. You may not want the information, but it's good information regardless.

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have zero issues with what Malcoll is saying. he just warning on a subject he know about . I am cool with being informed

And with the fraud statement they would have to ask you and you lie or dont tell them everything intensionally . Lets not get crazy here.

I am going to try to figure away to actuate the wheel lock with the RFID then there is no risk and it would be a better system.

Do what you want obviously... I have afull understanding of the comfort and that this may potentially add security... but if you disable a designed theft mechanism on your vehicle ,and then in a recorded statement taken after a theft you do not share that you disabled said mechanism... you just potentially committed insurance fraud my friend. But hey...do what you want, it is definitely your right. By the way, I would not post on an internet forum that you did this, because the other investigative technique that insurance companies are becoming very sophisticated about is social media and the internet.

I don't post a whole lot on any forum, but in this instance I feel compelled to make sure that anyone who reads this thread has a broad spectrum of information to consider in their decision. A stolen Viper is not an inexpensive claim and an insurance company is probably going to be very diligent in their investigation. You may not want the information, but it's good information regardless.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
prpaster;3177149 I am going to try to figure away to actuate the wheel lock with the RFID then there is no risk and it would be a better system.[/QUOTE said:
I think that would be a very cool adaptation that would make a lot of sense! Good luck with the design enhancement!

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So update on this. I ordered the system from Digital guard dog and should get it in a few weeks. Tomorrow after work I plan on taking out the Key cylinder and figuring out where the lock is and how it is actuated currently then I will start to brainstorm ideas on how to do it. I pretty sure I have a pretty good idea on how to do it. But I need to understand the space I have which is probably very small before I get too deep in this.

Also ordered another start button from viper parts of American when that comes in I will send it off to digital guard dog to be re configured to work with there system. This will probably be a decently long project as I am traveling a lot but I will do my best to get it done as quick as possible. The steering wheel lock is my biggest issue right now . I have all the wiring diagrams I need to install.

Paul

OP
OP
P

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This all looks pretty straight forward. I will be using this as a guide. I may have some questions so where are my Electrical Engineers at ? I am a Mechanical engineer
You must be registered for see images attach
ha

Thanks

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21