Keys for 2001 RT/10 back window

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A new 2001 RT/10 owner in Birmingham (TC) cannot get his key to open the back window which, BTW, has been put in backwards by the seller. The key will go into the tumbler but will not turn the tumbler. We have tried pushing in and out on the tumblers, thinking that the latch was wedged into the slot too tightly, but to no avail. Believe it or not, the local Dodge dealer does not even show the locks on the rear window, let alone carry alternate keys. Any ideas besides a locksmith? :confused:

Frank

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recall seeing some old threads about persons who had lost their keys. Do a search. They were able to pry the locks or disassemble them enough to get the window out. Once the window is out you can take it to a locksmith. I had it done and it took the locksmith about 10 minutes to make a new key without have an original. I think it was less than 10 bucks. Then I bought some OEM Viper blanks on Ebay and recut them.

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had similar problems. My original key works, but when I got some blanks(with the viper logo) they would go in but not turn. The cuts were exact, the only difference I could tell was that the width of the original seemed shaved thinner where as the new re-cut keys were not. The key shop I took it to said they couldn't help me. Grrrr. Haven't tried calling a locksmith, but thought you may have similar problem.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Not to threadnab, but does anyone sell ignition and/or back window key blanks with a cool Viper design?

The original key is kinda cheesy with its platic emblem, and my rear window key is just a plain ol' metal key. I'd like something streamlined and stylish.

Thanks!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to threadnab, but does anyone sell ignition and/or back window key blanks with a cool Viper design?

Got mine on ebay a year ago there were tons on there at that time. I think the back glass key only come in "ugly".

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a little powdered graphite in the lock, that may help. Make sure teeth are pointed down.

Andy

OP
OP
F

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We got the window out! :D Since the window was tilted in towards the rear of the seats, we pressed on the bottom of the glass toward the seats with a good bit of pressure and were able to remove the window without unlocking the 2 top locks. After the window had been removed, we were able to unlock the two top locks with the existing key. Apparently the locks were binding when the window was in the sport bar, which is why we could not turn them with the key.

FYI, the two locks have a removable back which exposes a phillips head scerw which would allow removal of rhe lock cylinder.

Thanks for your comments!!!!! :2tu:

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang