Killer deal or scam?

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably legit...he definitely wants you to call with questions and he's not trying to get you to purchase it outside of Ebay. Note the salvage title and any headaches that may go with it.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salvage title is clearly stated in the ad, combine that with 56,000 miles which I guess no one else noticed plus the Cognac interior which I happen to like but no one else does and he is right there as far as price. And I see no "outside of ebay" indications that would make me think it's a scam. It's also a pretty rare car, not too many black silvers with Cognac. Onlly a little over 100 black silvers total in 99 and 00.
Just checked the registry, car is one of 26 that year.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you discover the salvage title from running a carfax? I didn't see that in the auction ad. I'd say that he has priced it with that salvage title in mind.

It's in the ebay section of the auction. The high mileage and cognac interior Lee mentioned, as well as the horrible wing, pretty much ruins it. Depending on the extent of the salvage nature, as well as removing the wing, it could be a decent deal. Who knows? :dunno:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you discover the salvage title from running a carfax?
I don't see that in the auction ad.

Salvage title is clearly stated in the ad,

It's in the ebay section of the auction.

Seriously, The word "Salvage" does not appear anywhere in my IE browser window when I call up that auction website. I looked everywhere and I did a search on the page for the word Salvage.

The entry in the Description box for Title and VIN are not there as it is displayed to me.

I did a search and found his previous auction where his posts of questions shows that he obviously got annoyed with many emails and decided only to answer serious phone buyer's phone calls.
eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 120278635471 end time Jul-10-08 18:13:53 PDT)

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, The word "Salvage" does not appear anywhere in my IE browser window when I call up that auction website. I looked everywhere and I did a search on the page for the word Salvage.

The entry in the Description box for Title and VIN are not there as it is displayed to me.

I did a search and found his previous auction where his posts of questions shows that he obviously got annoyed with many emails and decided only to answer serious phone buyer's phone calls.

1999 Dodge Viper
You must be registered for see images attach
Print Version

Title:99 VIPER GTS-R AWESOME,BLACK W/STRIPES AND NO RESERVE Mileage:57,000 miles Location:wake forest, North carolina
Vehicle Information
VIN:1b3er69e6xv503656 | Get the Vehicle History Report Inspection:Order an independent inspection Warranty:Unspecified Vehicle title:Salvage Condition:Used For sale by:Dealer

Not suggesting or discouraging the deal......... But I can read an Ebay auction.......

OP
OP
R

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven that car! I was just commenting to my wife that the car was identical to the one we rented for our wedding. The rental place was in Mass. I notice in the old auction they say it came from Mass. Also the rental place told me after we had it somebody crashed it. That car has had a tough life! But it is gorgeous in person. I still have people telling me 8 years later that I should get a Viper like the one I had at my wedding.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It shows up in the Vehicle information section when you switch to the new ebay motors view.
salvage.jpg

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it's a GTS-R. It says 450 HP. Basically stock with the Hennessy bolt-ons for show. It seems the seller is confused between a Venom 600 (which I doubt it is either) or a GTS-R.

BTW, I emailed the guy through eBay and asked if he understood what a "clean title" means. IMO, a salvage title is a salvage title, not a "clean" title. This is his reply:

dear *******...... title is CLEAN, NO BRANDS, NO SALVAGE, NO REBUILT.... C.L.E.A.N........ If you would like, i can fax you a copy of the title and you can see for yourself, then shove it up your ass. just send me a fax #. HAVE A GOOD DAY..

So now he's denying it is a salvage also. I would beware of this baby all around...

OP
OP
R

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Ran the carfax
You must be registered for see images
No abandoned title record
No damaged title or major damage incident record
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
Rebuilt/rebuildable title record(s)
Salvage title or salvage auction record(s)
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame damage record
No recycling facility record

09/28/1999 BUFFALO, NY
US Dept. Of Transportation IMPORTED TO THE US / VEHICLE ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED FOR NON US MARKET 11/03/1999 BUFFALO, NY
US Dept. Of Transportation PASSED US ROAD INSPECTION / BOND RELEASED 11/18/1999 ALVA, FL
3,177​
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0079827646) 11/18/1999 ALVA, FL
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 03/09/2000 NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 03/24/2000 NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA
3,872​
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:AU0168124) 07/01/2001 NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 11/13/2001 ON
Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL 11/21/2001 MA
48,568​
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:AW0692253)
SALVAGE 06/21/2007 NEW ENGLAND REGION
49,185​
Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION 06/22/2007 NEW ENGLAND REGION
49,185​
Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION AS DEALER VEHICLE 07/05/2007 MA
49,430​
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:BE650513)
RECONSTRUCTED
SALVAGE
PRIOR SALVAGE 08/20/2007 PIPERSVILLE, PA
49,486​
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:65014528)
REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL 01/28/2008 PIPERSVILLE, PA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:65014528) (Lien Reported)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have at least three obvious warning signs:

- Salvage title and confirmation from CarFax
- A lying seller
- Hennessey

Stay away from it...surely there are better Vipers out there for sale. If you do enjoy pain and misery and letting liars screw you over than at least have someone that is qualified visually inspect this Viper. If you do purchase it PLEASE remove that horrible wing.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reading this sellers answers to questions the title is clean because it is a newly issued title...i.e. a title wash. Amazing with a little Cheer can do.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven that car! I was just commenting to my wife that the car was identical to the one we rented for our wedding. The rental place was in Mass. I notice in the old auction they say it came from Mass. Also the rental place told me after we had it somebody crashed it. That car has had a tough life! But it is gorgeous in person. I still have people telling me 8 years later that I should get a Viper like the one I had at my wedding.

Let me rephrase: that car WAS gorgeous in person. All your comments are based on its appearance before it was in a salvage-level wreck, and are 8 years old.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the way the seller calls one guy an ******** for asking about the title when it clearly states salvage in the ad.

Ebay should be notified about the title situation.

Last edited: