Know of a Owner that didn't like the Viper?

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure ever one on here loves the Viper or else you wouldn't be here but with all the post of people afraid of buying a Viper and then not liking it got me wondering. Have you ever known of any one that bought a Viper and didn't just love it?

I've never met a owner that didn't love theirs and had no regrets about buying their first one.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they were posers at heart and hated actually having to drive a car to look good in it

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought my RT/10 a few months ago. Before that I had two years of great fun with a 2006 Z06 Corvette. I was active with the Corvette Forum and did a fair bit of reading about the Viper from their perspective.

I remember telling a friend, (Business Manager in a CHrysler Dealship)that the Viper was no match to the Z06. My car was so much more sophisticated with AH and TC and this and that. Carbon Fibre and dry sump etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

Due to the ecomomy I sold the vette and then when things got better $$$ wise I bought the Viper ... I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO THE Z06! This car is sooo much more fun, a whole different animal. The vert is fantastic and what a social magnet this car is. I am having so much fun with my little Viper. :2tu:

I had to admit this to my friend and so I offered to let him take it for a day and head off to the lake with his wife. He took me up on that offer real quick!

Owner that didn't like his Viper? I think not!

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. The editor of Automobile magazine. What a loser. I bought both of my Vipers never having even seen one, much less driven one. This guy had driven many of them, then ordered an R/T (95?) that was white with blue. Had the guys at the factory sign it. Then, get this, did not like it. But wait it gets better. He actually wrote an article about selling it and buying a MINIVAN. Which, this gigantic (fill in the blanks) had the nerve to paint it in viper colors. So lets reiterate:

1. He drove the car many times before buying it.
2. After he bought one he didn't like it.
3. He replaced it with a minivan.
4. He wrote an article about how much better he liked the minivan then the viper.

OH my god. I'm still angry at this after 15 years. What an &*(^&%*&%^. Now I think he has transferred to Car And Driver. How in the world can anyone trust this guys opinion on anything with wheels that isn't pushed?

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember, someone traded an RT/10 for a brand new Mustang, and came back here to rub our faces in it. LOL. I was in love with the car way before I got it. I recall, many years back, I pictured myself driving one, trying to figure out as to how the car would feel, the power, the steer, the sound. It was all exactly what I had felt, in my imagination years ago when I finally got mine. It all depends on a persons’ perception, or the expectations from the car. It’s a drivers’ car. One actually has to drive the car, instead of being driven by their vehicle. So, those people who disliked the Viper, probably did so due to their own lack of driving skills, or they just didn’t like to drive in general. And then, of course there are those who said: “ You traded your old BMW for this?” clearly dissatisfied with the plastic interior works of my Gen I. And I proudly reply: “Yes”, every time.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have met quite a few.
Too hot, A/C not good enough, flimsy top, no windows, too noisy, unconfortable, not practical, no room for golf clubs, wife did not like it etc....
Nothing unusual about it.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All right I will step up and admit that I do like my car as far as looks and performance, but the feel and layout when you drive it is not that impressive: Seat too high, terrible clutch travel, overpowered powered steering, seat does not hold you very well in corners. Now I know most of these things can be corrected but should you have to???:dunno:

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
The first time I drove my Viper was from Tampa (where I bought it) to Miami, most of the time in a rainstorm, and still on the original Pilot Sports which were 5 years old at the time.

Scared the poo out of me.

It really is a difficult car to drive. But, I got accustomed to its behavior and now I don't even notice it. Every other car I drive in feels like a pile of crap in comparison.

The exterior on the Gen II is faultless, imo. It has no bad angles. It looks good from any direction, in any light.

The performance, again, I have no complaints about. I can understand the gripes of people who are used to driving more technologically advanced cars, as the Viper has a far steeper learning curve to be able to max out the car's potential. But, even though I understand where they are coming from, they always come across as whining *******.

The interior is a legitimate gripe. Too much plastic, not enough style. More leather, carbon fiber and brushed aluminum should be on the dashboard and door panels. Not freaking plastic for a car in the Viper's price range.

10BamBam01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded off my Vette for a Viper. I drove 65 miles to the dealership in a Lincoln SUV, possibly the most comfortable SUV ever made by a man. Leather everywhere, wood grain everywhere else, gazillion watt stereo with 2 12" subs thumping it along. It drives itself and even shuts my wife up for the trip with the awesome sounding tunes. To me, it's like sitting at home listening to music. It's boring!!!!!

I got in the Viper and completely forgot about my Vette. I finally realized why I kept shutting off the traction control and why I always ended up just going home after work with the Vette. With the Viper I cannot help but go for a cruise and hunt for Mustangs. It just fits ME.

I have long hair, tattoos, and ride Harleys. I like loud, fast, rough and on the edge of imprisonment. That, to me, is the Viper. :headbang: It is what it is and it doesn't apologize for it.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded off my Vette for a Viper. I drove 65 miles to the dealership in a Lincoln SUV, possibly the most comfortable SUV ever made by a man. Leather everywhere, wood grain everywhere else, gazillion watt stereo with 2 12" subs thumping it along. It drives itself and even shuts my wife up for the trip with the awesome sounding tunes. To me, it's like sitting at home listening to music. It's boring!!!!!

I got in the Viper and completely forgot about my Vette. I finally realized why I kept shutting off the traction control and why I always ended up just going home after work with the Vette. With the Viper I cannot help but go for a cruise and hunt for Mustangs. It just fits ME.

I have long hair, tattoos, and ride Harleys. I like loud, fast, rough and on the edge of imprisonment. That, to me, is the Viper. :headbang: It is what it is and it doesn't apologize for it.

:crazy2: :D

10BamBam01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, maybe that was a little over the top. :eek: Probably too much coffee this morning and I just quit smoking last week so I'm about ready to SNAP anyway. :grumpy:

OP
OP
D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, part 2 of the question, those that know some one that didn't like the Viper after they bought it, did they fret about buying it in the first place. Worry about buying one before ever really driving one, or even sit in one in some cases. Or did they just decide they needed one and money wasn't really an issue for them.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '96 seven years old, 7,000 miles, original everything, including tires. It scared the crap out of me, and I'd had a lot of fast cars. I was thinking of selling it because I couldn't handle it. Once I learned that those old tires were like ice skates and replaced the tires I loved it. Then I went for more power to get that on the edge feeling. Then I went for more power for that on the edge feeling. Then......

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, maybe that was a little over the top. :eek: Probably too much coffee this morning and I just quit smoking last week so I'm about ready to SNAP anyway. :grumpy:

To be too ******* yourself Jeff, you can add Viper withdrawl to your list of symptoms as well, having to be in the office and all. But we'll fix that tonight because it's VIPER PLAY NIGHT!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So this thread mentions "all the people afraid to buy a Viper and not liking it"? Then there's a couple posts mentioning people not liking Gen1s - with no doors, windows or even a roof? Wonder how they'd like an MG - yes people actually drive and save those 46hp 'cars'.

A guy buys a Viper, then prefers a Minivan? That kinda speaks for itself, LMAO. I guess he ordered the Viper because he was in love with the looks and paint. Once he scared sh_t out of himself every time he drove it he felt much more safe and secure in a minivan - gutless POS that has tiny brakes and is dangerous to drive when compared to a Viper. I bet he loves VW 'bugs' too? I admit that sex is difficult in a Viper though. Good thing I own a bed?

If a person questions that he'd love a Viper he shouldn't buy one. Try a vette, they come with TC and the ZR1 has magnetic shock absorbers in case of a lack of driving abilities and skills.

Although I admit that runcraps scared hell out of me a few times and killed my 98 GTS when they hydroplaned ... my huge hp 2001 GTS has PS2s on it and has only caused me to change my shorts twice.

Ted

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted said: "Although I admit that runcraps scared hell out of me a few times and killed my 98 GTS when they hydroplaned ... my huge hp 2001 GTS has PS2s on it and has only caused me to change my shorts twice."

LOL! Good one.

There are plenty of people who buy 'em and don't or won't drive 'em. Maybe they secretly dislike them or regret having bought them.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Car that begs you to take it out and Drive it!!!!!!, And we Love every minute, We have 3 Vipers and a SRT 10 Truck and Every one of the Vipers is a blast to Drive, Would not trade it for a Second.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in a brand new Z06 I had for 3 months after seeing a red '98 GTS up close at a dealer.
I knew instantly I had bought the wrong car, the Viper was breathtaking and the Vette was...a Vette.
Love at first sight and never regretted the decison for an instant.

On the other hand my wife.....not so much...:D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit, after two years my viper still scares me a little. But that's a good thing. :) I still daydream about driving it all the time when I'm not.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All right I will step up and admit that I do like my car as far as looks and performance, but the feel and layout when you drive it is not that impressive: Seat too high, terrible clutch travel, overpowered powered steering, seat does not hold you very well in corners. Now I know most of these things can be corrected but should you have to???:dunno:

Umm :lmao: jokin right? In my case..never had a problem what you just mention...might be a vette owner here!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes.

There was this guy....I forget his name, that always carried on about how the Viper was crap and the Z06 was annointed by God. He was eventually shouted off the website here, but he was a real drag. He also could not keep his opinion to himself. I am sure that he will pop up, if he sees this tread.

If you bought the car for the "creature comforts", then you can complain. Otherwise, there is just not much to complain about. Maybe poor AC and decreasing values. But that is it. The cars are made very well.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I have long hair, tattoos, and ride Harleys. I like loud, fast, rough and on the edge of imprisonment. That, to me, is the Viper. :headbang: It is what it is and it doesn't apologize for it."

Awesome!!! Best lines I have ever seen on the Viper!