Kuhmo Sand Blasting

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running rears now for around 2k miles, and noticed the leading edge of the rear fender wells look like they have been shotgunned with bird shot. I expected this, and wouldn't give up the traction the Kuhmos provide for anything, but what have people found most effective in protecting this area? I've heard about the 3M paint protective strips, but checking around with auto body supply shops, found it's not available, except in the kits that jobbers buy and then install for 400-800 bucks. (Nice work if you can get it, huh?)

So, I decided to try another approach. Shop had 3M Rocker Panel Spray -05911, which is designed to be used UNDER paint. I figured as long as it was fairly transparent, it might do the job. So, tried a test area that was already so peppered it will have to be repainted some day anyway. Long story short, don't use this on painted surfaces, as it loosens and removed paint!

So, back to square one. As I'm putting the Kuhmos on the front this weekend (getting ready for Viperdays), I know I'm going to get some damage on the sills, rockers, wherever the road grit comes off the tires. What have others done? Just whine a little and repaint every couple of years? Spend 5 bills at the local decal shop to have the 3M tape put on? Actually found a supply of the tape and labored through it yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think I'll just duct tape the whole at risk area for Viperdays! :p

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little more imfo:

Can I purchase Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film directly from 3M?
A. 3M sells larger rolls of film to selected 3M Authorized Distributors and Converters and not to end consumers. 3M does not manufacture vehicle-specific film kits nor does 3M install kits on consumer vehicles. There are hundreds of professional applicators throughout the United States that sell film kits who also apply it to your vehicle. Click on "Where to Buy" in the "Consumer" section of this website to search by the city and state to find the nearest professional applicator(s).

Q. How much does it cost to have Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film installed on my vehicle?
A. This is a question for your professional applicator. There are many makes and models of cars, trucks, RVs and boats. On personal vehicles Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is most often used to cover the front portion of the hood. 3M film is also commonly applied to painted bumpers, truck bed rails, door handle inserts, door edges, rocker panels, mirror backs, wheel openings, etc. Any painted surface of a car, truck, van, SUV, RV, boat or motorcycle that is susceptible to bug damage and rock chips can be covered with paint protection film. Since the amount of film required and difficulty of application will vary by vehicle model, 3M suggests you contact professional applicators near you for their recommendations and price quotes.

Q. Can I install Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film myself?
A. 3M strongly recommends that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be installed by a fully trained, professional applicator. These are skilled applicators in applying the film around compound curves, challenging grillwork, wheel openings, bumpers and all other areas on today's vehicles.

Q. How can I get additional information about Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Many professional applicators have extensive experience and can answer your questions or browse this website for information on Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film and a listing of professional applicators.

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for info, Cudaman, but I called the local shop that does this service and was quoted "400-800" and that was before I told him it was a Viper, lol. Just too much for my blood. Now, if I could buy a couple of sheets of it, I'd put it on myself - I don't care if it's a little sloppy 'cause it's going into the wheel wells and underneath parts, mainly. But the fact 3M no longer sells it at the auto body supply level tells me they realize the installers have a great, highly-profitable gig going, and they don't want to mess that up. Plus 3M was probably getting lots of complaints from dissatisfied self-installers who mucked up the job and wanted to blame 3m.

Anyway, guess it's duct tape for me... :crazy:

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought small piece applied myself and purchased the knock off brand, spent $40.00 and had some left over. The prices your quoted were probably for custom cut for entire front of car.....you do not need that much material nor a custom cut.

Cudaman :usa:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't bother to read all the posts. But looks like you have some good advice as to where to get the 3m tape in rolls, whatever widths and lengths you want. That's what I did. And not a mark on the paint. Although I didn't have any marks for the first 500 miles or so without the tape.
I think I paid $30 for different lengths and widths that made it easy to put on. In NO way was I going to pay $500 for a kit, which doesn't even include the wheel wells.

Good luck, it will work out well and easy if you purchase the 3m in sizes you need! :2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about clear shelf paper from the local hardware?

There's a guy who sells static cling 8mil thick material, but it might not stay on in the spot where you want to put it .

I used it on the side of the body behind the 35" BFG All Terrain tires on my jacked up Toyota bigfoot in the Philippines.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a track event where someone used clear shelf paper. It didn't stay on for long. Doesn't mean it won't work for you because with all things, it depends on what you buy. I'm sure shelf paper with a better adhesive would have stuck.

I can still order 3M sheets from the paint and auto body shop I use. You can order bulk from XPEL as well.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, good info. But one question, where can I get a small sheet of either the 3M or the XPEL (off-brand) stuff? Local supplier says he "used to carry it" until 3M changed their policy. I'd just like to get enough to cover the areas of maximum impact.
Thanks, all.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just where I got my stuff before I found someone locally. I'm sure there are cheaper places on the web.

www.xpel.com

click on the "shop" button and then click on the "BULK" tab.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AG98RT10,

If you still need a sheet of 3M email me at [email protected]. My friend does this on the side and just did the front fascia on my RT and my side sills.
He cut me off a few sheets from his roll. Depending on how much you need I may have it or I can get as much as you need from him and ship it to you.

Ed

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AG98RT10, Would you mind posting pics or explaining exactly where you put it? Side sills where? Back of front tire, all along the bottom, etc?? What about behind rear tire? There are bolts there, will it just go over?? Thanks, 95Viper

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry,...I meant this to go to ACELLR8

Would you mind posting pics or explaining exactly where you put it? Side sills where? Back of front tire, all along the bottom, etc?? What about behind rear tire? There are bolts there, will it just go over?? Thanks, 95Viper

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any pics at the moment, that it is visible on. I have it on the front in the two pics in the thread titled Front Fascia. You really can't see it unless you get up close or are in the right light.

I put it on about 80% of the front fascia, it was really tough to get the whole curved outer part covered, since it is an aftermarket fascia. I put it on one big piece for the main part of the front fascia then in smaller pieces on the other sections. Like I said you really can't see it unless you get up within 5 feet and look hard, you can then see the edges other than the eges you can't tell it is on there. I figured the small edges are better than the alternative of getting the front fascia all chipped up.

I also put it on the front side sills behind the wheels, kind of like the factory stuff and even the side sill where it flares out since that takes a beating. Nothing on the back, but you could put it there if you wanted by simply taking the bolts out and putting them back after the film is on.
My buddy told me if it was a stock fascia he could order one that was CAD generated to fit on the viper fascia. It is pretty time consuming to put on, it took us about 6 hours to do. My buddy belongs to a local BMW club and is used to doing them. He said by far this was the hardest one he did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4