Kumho=Traction=Input shaft in two pieces.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally brought my tranny over to a high performance tranny shop in the Detroit area (Liberty Transmission, home of the pro-shifted tranny), and looks like I toasted the input shaft. Not good.

For sure took out the 4th gear teeth, and gods knows what else on a 2nd to 3rd shift, hoping the 3rd cluster is still all right.

Bottom line looking for some input on way this happened? (and better yet to me on a near stock GTS!) I mean you have guys roaming around with a 1000 horse at the crank on Kumhos <hey Gerald> on OEM everything, I put some decent tires on this year and within 3 tanks of gas snapped the input shaft, I don't get it. I drive hard but certainly no more harder than the vids I see of all of us gearbangers?!?!?

It's not even the money, under $1500, the car will be down for another 2 weeks or so, ugh..... starting to question if this car can handle being driven using all of its horsepower. The week I bought the car the timing chain cover gasket tossed some chunks on my hood pad. Bad luck, I don't know, but this input shaft thing turns up squat on a search and recall nothing ever happened to anyone on this board in over 2 years of this site.

I going to bed to pout or something! :)

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is that there was a defect in your shaft. As you mentioned there are a lot of guys running a lot more hp and this is never an issue.

Good luck. Do you have ext warranty, it's worht a try.

Phil

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the Kumho's, there are tires with much better traction, where the trans is not disintergrating. What exactly is the nature of the damage. Is the input shaft broken or are the teeth chewed up or burnt? If you were using the old Dexron fluid, a big improvement will be the later synthetic now used by Dodge.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As with Jack B, you need a little more info from the broken pieces. The actual gear teeth are always meshed with the cluster shaft, usually debris caught inbetween causes problems. While shifting, the synchro teeth take the beating (as I did with 2nd gear.)

One reply to my trans failure was "T-56s are like disposeable razor blades..." which seemed pretty appropriate at the time. Let us know.

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys,

Liberty is opening my tranny up this weekend and see what blew up. The shaft is not in 2 pieces literally, just completely free from the cluster shaft, surely taking out 4th as a bonus!

As I was going into thrid I can see that gear in trouble as well.

So perhaps this Dexron III fluid OEM fill in 97 is partly to blame? When filling back up I should ignore the tag on the tranny (and the dealers recommend) and put in Castrol Syntorque (or Mopar rebrand of the same)?

Thanks for the help gang,

Liberty was mentioning an option is to rebuild my existing input shaft and cluster set with a heavier duty material and weld the new gears onto my existing parts, stating the T56 stock pieces are no good. Make any sense, was leaning to that option so this does not happen again, as I do not plan on altering my driving style!:D