LACK OF VCA PARTICIPATION AT SEBRING LAST WEEK!

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with everything V10 National had to say. I think your right on.
Its pretty sad when your own president of your region does not even show up, tends to make you believe there is no interest. Maybe thats what David means, your own backyard.

However I do appreciate the efforts of Gary and Libby for what they have done in the past. I would not want their jobs in this club. It just does not seem to be the same.

You can go to your local drag strip and race all you want for $20. You can join a local road coarse club and go race all day for less money than Viper events.

If the Viperclub would organize more local road coarse events at reasonable rates like other car clubs do , I would continue to be a member. Going to have lunch just does not excite me.

By the way I did attend the Sebring race. I was there Tuesday thru Sat. watching the race from the upper deck just before the finish cheering on the Vipers. Maybe I'm blind but never saw any sign of Viper corral, flag, or banners and I walked all over that looking. I saw one other Viper owner and he said he could not find it as well. In fact he said Gary cancelled it because of poor participation.

Regardless of all of this I still love might Viper.

Mike

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ga VCA PRESIDENT and CAROLINAS REGION PRESIDENT

Thank you, now all we have to do is have everyone attending the race from a different area ask their local Presidents for support and a check.
Last race I am sure that members from 4 or 5 areas showed up and if we had asked, a check might have been in the mail.

Dr. Roof
We need every racer from a different zone to make a call to their local President requesting financial support, a CHECK.
AND
Roof why don't you request a sit down at VOI8 where we can get some feedback and ideas. Ask who from the President Mr. Houss on down will work with us and support the V-10 Nationals.

Rohn

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer Mike 99ACR. . .yes we did have a corral that the club payed $1600. for and there were Viper Club Banners up. No the event was not cancelled and who ever told you that was dead wrong. We were in the turn 17 club corral area on the Midway side of the track between Porsche and Audi. There was a private grandstand to use for club participants in these three car groups. I was there as well as the 8 to 10 Viper owners who signed up. Some choose to park in other locations and use the corral space provided. We had about six or seven Vipers in the corral. Sorry you missed it!

As far as the V 10 Nationals, I strongly feel this is a great regional event for the drag racers in the VCA. For now it would be the best move for the local club presidents to contact David Boggs and offer there participation and help.
If and when the national decides to participate then it could be a sponsored national club event as Viper Days is. There is also the suggestion that many of the Vendor's who make money off of their performance upgrades provided to participants at the V 10 Nationals, provide $$$ sponsorship to David if they are not doing so.

Drag racing is an easy and safe way to start enjoying your Viper and it's great performance, whether at the V10 Nationals or on a local NHRA?IHRA drag strip locally on test and tune night. It's easy, safe and controlled rather than running on the street and taking a big chance.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ga VCA PRESIDENT and CAROLINAS REGION PRESIDENT

Thank you, now all we have to do is have everyone attending the race from a different area ask their local Presidents for support and a check.
Last race I am sure that members from 4 or 5 areas showed up and if we had asked, a check might have been in the mail.

Rohn

Are you really serious?

The Regional stipend is available through National for a REGIONAL EVENT. i.e.. an event that is put on in the region and that a number of regional members attend. If the V10 Nationals came to NC/SC and we had a decent number of members that wanted to attend, I would ask for the stipend to support that event. As it stands now, we have several highly attended events per year. The most costly of which is a VCA autocross. We rent an airstrip, and the local autocross club provides workers, course layout, timing, etc. We provide lunch and trophies and a host of other stuff. This is the highest number of folks that attend an event, ergo, this is what I use my regional stipend for. We also have to provide receipts and accountings in order to request the stipend - just a checkand balance that the money is indeed impacting the region's members.

We also have our club treasury that is discretionary - but it is our job as officers to make sure the money gets spent where it will have the most impact on the largest number of folks. Again, if a large number of members attend something, we'll pony up some cash. For example, we have 30% or so of our membership that either runs or spectates at ViperDays at VIR. So, we sponsor a lunch there - I have NO PROBLEM giving money to an outside event where our members are participating. It's the club's purpose to benefit the members - and if they have an interest in something, it's my job to support it - either with money or time/planning....

So no - I wouldn't have handed over a check to Slaughter (for example since he attended) to send to Florida to subsidize that event as we didn't really have enough folks participate and it was a little far away to use a NC/SC stipend to support.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, this is the problem. . .how many local club members participate from one regional area. If the V 10 Nationals are drawing a substantial number of local members, then the club should consider some support. However, if ther event is attended by Viper Owners/non VCA participants and few if any local regional club members, then it would be a question of support if at all.

Just because a club has a stipend available and club treasury, it is up to every club President to determine the value received for it's club members rather than handing over money without membership benifit.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know Gary... I sat at the last VCA meeting at Daytona Speedway... and when the serious questions began to be asked... there were "plants" in the meeting who were there to "shut down the serious questions".

You call out V10National saying.. "you're not a member".. as if to say that being a member means you get heard... well that's just not true.... even as a member you do not get heard.

When asked about receiving the annual financials, you told me I had to send in a request after the start of the new fiscal year..... . shouldn't that information be given to every member without having to request the information??? How much money does the Florida chapter have and why isn't more money used for more club driving events......

Other than two laps at Daytona and the Drag Racing day... I found no value to the N. Fla VCA Chapter... heck with the money that should be in the budget the Drag Race day should have been free racing AND free lunch........

YOU give lip service to the North Florida folks (read Jacksonville) saying that you put a VP in charge of scheduling events for North Florida... well... what happened with that... I guess that's our fault... although you won't share information.

When asked some serious questions you indicate those have to be asked at a "business meeting". Well.. when are the business meetings.. in a year of membership I never received any notice of when the "business" meeting or Board meeting would be held.

I was not going to put any of this out there... . but then you come on here and act indignant like the Florida VCA membership is apathetic.... well you reap what you sow.

I am in the process of relocating to Ohio... maybe the VCA chapter there is more tuned-in to the members... if so I will rejoin..... let's talk about balls.

Signed,

Lance Malcolm

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the V 10 Nationals, I strongly feel this is a great regional event for the drag racers in the VCA. For now it would be the best move for the local club presidents to contact David Boggs and offer there participation and help.
If and when the national decides to participate then it could be a sponsored national club event as Viper Days is. There is also the suggestion that many of the Vendor's who make money off of their performance upgrades provided to participants at the V 10 Nationals, provide $$$ sponsorship to David if they are not doing so.

Drag racing is an easy and safe way to start enjoying your Viper and it's great performance, whether at the V10 Nationals or on a local NHRA?IHRA drag strip locally on test and tune night. It's easy, safe and controlled rather than running on the street and taking a big chance.

If it was not for the Tuners and Vendors we would really be in trouble. All people listed on this page are or have been a SPonsor of someway to help the event become possible. V-10 Nationals Sponsors they do the best they can, and what they do not cover I will make up the difference. Eventually and soon I hope the event will carry the car count that the event will stand on it's own without so much up front cash. But Just like anything you must first invest to make it happen.

Gary as for the V-10 Nationals.com guy he is a MEMBER OF YOUR CLUB! Also there was plenty of Local club support in FLorida! I now have on the entry forms if they are a member of the VCA or not. I promise that if the VCA supports the V-10 Nationals like the Viper Days series those that are not members will quickly become them.

Im not sure of how many cars attend Viper Days but here is what I think the future of the V-10 Nationals Holds:
75-100 cars at every event
VOI years 200 plus cars.
6-8 races a year eventually expanding to the west coast with a championship Race.

TO me this is a strong number of cars. I beleive this is the minimum achieved with proper advertisement throughout the Viper World. THe VCA is the key to this. We need people outside these forums to know about the race. Trust me there are people out there looking for this kind of event. Viper Magazine has promised support and coverage this will help and we need Nationals exposure and this thing will be the BIGGEST VIPER EVENT of the year in Many Regions.

Just think road racing cost what 300-500 bucks to race? Drag racing cost anywhere from $45-150 to race (Depending on Sponsorship of the events and Track rentals) this is a cheap Organized fun event. Test N Tune *****!!! we want to go heads up! VIPER VS VIPER Blower VS TURBO VS NOS VS ALL MOTOR> this is exciting! WHO IS THE FASTEST VIPER? What can I do to go faster! you find out at the VIper race not A test n tune with 1000 imports and one or two passes.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David. . .sounds great! We will be discussing the V 10 Nationals this coming week on the VCA Motorsports Committee which I am a member of. Good luck at Bowling Green.

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary said:
“I checked with National this morning and you are not a current VCA member. Why don't you have the "BALLS" to post your name and identify yourself?

Instead of whining about what the club does not do you, step forward and offer to put an event together. This is a club for members and we will support you and help you organize and event. I thank Chuck Babel and Steve Salis for organizing some events for the club in the past few months. Instead of "******* & Moaning", get off you butts and do something for the club. We offer our support and help if you want to offer up a club event.”

Gary,

This is your buddy Steve Salis and thank you for acknowledging Chuck’s efforts and mine! Most people that visit this site often and have an interest in the V-10 Nationals Series know who I am. Why does it matter to you if www.V10Nationals.com is a member or not anyways? Speaking of having “balls”, Lance asked you a couple good and serious questions and your response was: “Good luck in Ohio Lance. Sorry to see you go.” Why don’t you try to answer his questions? I am sure there are a lot of people including myself that would like to see your response! While you are at it, could you please list the names of the Board of Directors of the Central/North Florida Region and their titles?

So, here is your responses about the V-10 Nationals:
“David, if you plan another V10 Nationals here in Florida you will have the local clubs support. Just let me know when and what you want us to do. We will support your efforts but lets talk a little earlier than a few weeks before the event, this time. It's up to you to outline well in advance what you would like us to do as a club to support your V10 Nationals.”

It sounds to me that you are ready to support the Series, no questions asked.

Then you say:
“Janni, this is the problem. . .how many local club members participate from one regional area. If the V 10 Nationals are drawing a substantial number of local members, then the club should consider some support. However, if ther event is attended by Viper Owners/non VCA participants and few if any local regional club members, then it would be a question of support if at all.”

It sounds to me that you have changed your mind and that you want to ensure that there are at least a few VCA members participating before you support the event. You did not specify how many members at a minimum need to commit to the event. This is definitely the correct approach. The Club ASKS the members if they will be participating and make a decision based on their response.

Later you say:
“To answer Mike 99ACR. . .yes we did have a corral that the club payed $1600. for and there were Viper Club Banners up. No the event was not cancelled and who ever told you that was dead wrong. We were in the turn 17 club corral area on the Midway side of the track between Porsche and Audi. There was a private grandstand to use for club participants in these three car groups. I was there as well as the 8 to 10 Viper owners who signed up.”

So, did the Club ASK the members if they will be participating to that event? Nobody ASKED me! I got an announcement that the event is happening and how much it would cost the members to attend. We spent $1600.00 for this event and 8 to 10 Vipers showed up and I would imagine that a portion of them belonged to the South Florida VCA Region. Did the Central/North Florida Region pay the $1600.00? I also heard that the Friday’s BBQ was canceled. Where did we spent the $1600.00 at?

Gary, I hope you have the “BALLS” to answer all the questions asked so far! People are listening!

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, their were no South Florida Vipers at Sebring. The club was asked by SRT/PVO to set up a Viper Corral at Sebring for the WCGT Race Friday March 19, which we did. Catering was supposed to have been arranged by Eric Peterson of SRT/PVO but on Tuesday last week he called me and asked for the club to arrange this. We spent the better part of Wednesday calling the track caterers to arrange food but due to the short time period and their already heavy work load, it was impossible for them to set anything up. We called all who were going and explained this. Everyone understood.I was assured by Eric Peterson, that the club would be reimbursed for the cost of the Corral.

Our officers are: President, Elizabeth Lashinsky, Vice President, Sean Roe, Secretary & Trasurer, Elizabeth Lashinsky, Board members: Gary Lashinsky, Tony Darwin. Tom Hinckley and Helen Gleason plus Elizabeth and Sean.

The Motorsports Committee, of which I am a member, is looking into support for David Boggs and his V 10 National. There are some issues that need to be addressed by the committee and David, including VCA membership participation at the V 10 Nationals.

Any current "paid" VCA club member in the Central and North Florida region can obtain a current financial statement by requesting this from Elizabeth. We will need to confirm you are a member so give her your 2004 membership number when you make this request. you can call the VCA office at 407-366-0366 and ask for Elizabeth.

Steve, you did such a good job last year with the Daytona event at the Wing House, why don't you come up with another event this year for the club and handle it. Please let me know your suggestions.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
I guess since I did not renew the appropriate answer would be that my opinion and my questions are LESS relevant than they were when I was a member... which was negligible then.

I find it interesting that my questions are met with "good luck in Ohio.....". And no one seems to care WHY I did not renew my membership.

I guess inquiring minds do NOT want to know.

Lance

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! And I thought our region had politics. Ah, but many of the comments ring true for different regions miles from Florida. And then we wonder why participation of those outside of the clique is low. Go figure.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious as to how is it possible for one person to hold 3 positions: President, Secretary, and Treasurer...

Both officers (1 is the Prez, Sec, Treas, the other is the VP) are owners of Viper related businesses. I thought this was a conflict of interest.

Also, is Helen Gleason who is on the board of directors the owner of Gleason's Grill where most of the meetings are held?

The "person" assigned to organize and plan for the Northeast Florida "social chapter" never did a single thing, not one, ever, and never even shows up when the rest of us plan something.

I can also confirm the fact that there were people planted/coached at the last meeting to quash any discussion or questions.

I have not renewed, and will not until these issues are addressed.

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT,

This is a very interesting observation.

Although the bylaws of the National VCA states that each region needs to have their own bylaws, I was told in the past that the bylaws for our Region could be found here.

Well, I read them and here is a section that is confusing me:

“ARTICLE IV: ACCOUNTS
D. Checks and other orders for payment of monies in the name of the Region shall be signed by the Treasurer and the President of the Region.”

I have seen this in several different clubs and associations and it makes sense. How would this work for our Region since the President and Treasurer is the same person?

Maybe I am looking at the wrong bylaws. Gary, do we have our own bylaws and how could I obtain a copy?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the carolinas Region - 2 offices can be held by one person, so we do have a Pres, a VP and Treas, and a Secretary. The first three are me and Henry - and much like the Florida situation, it's not because we don't have elections - it's because we haven't had anyone else espress an interest in running for an office. That'll change this year as I self impose term limits on my presidency.

Your regional officers should have a copy of their bylaws.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang! You guys need to come to Kansas City: We have heated battles for every officer position in the club. Helps keep you on your toes and working for your members. Of course I consider Janni to be the hardest working officer in the VCA (although that Kingman guy seems pretty active from time to time ;) ), so there goes that theory...

As to the V10 Nationals, I firmly believe that VCA support at both a regional AND national level is necessary. While I think the world of Skip and the folks at Viper Days, I also know that the majority of the folks in that series travel from venue to venue and are not necessarily from that region. Indeed, when one of the Viper Days events comes near here in May, one of the nearby regions is planning a cruise to the lake instead. When I brought up Viper Days in Iowa at our meeting this week along with a VERY strong endorsement to attend, one of our members reminded everybody that there was a lake cruise to go see a Viper-powered boat that same weekend. I am still hoping to get some folks up to Iowa to at least take in a day of watching Viper Days and maybe a parade lap or two.

Bottom line is that like Viper Days, the V10 Nationals should not have to rely on regional VCA support to prosper. Kansas City stepped up to the plate because we want our members to have a variety of events to choose from and drag racing should absolutely be one of them. Example? We have a progressive dinner cruise on April 17th - followed the very next day by Dyno Day IV (which is FREE to all paid KC VCA members). We wanted a drag race event and simply can't support it on our budget - we are not a mega-region like some of the others. Thus it makes perfect sense to "host" the V10 Nationals at a world-class track. Will we get a huge turnout from our region? I certainly hope that many will show up to run and learn how to drag race (most never have). I also hope that many others will show up to watch. Having the VCA as a major sponsor would make everybody feel even more at home. That is what being a Club is all about.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT and V10 Nationals/ Steve Sallis. . .to answer your questions:

No. . .there were no plants at the Daytona meeting! The woman who objected to Steve Sallis was a new member and annoyed with his attitude.

No. . .Helen Gleason is not the owner of Gleason's Grille where we have meetings from time to time. She is a Tampa-St. Pete member.

Elizabeth has been Treasurer and Secretary since the club's inception because no one else has ever offered to run for these positions. It envolves a lot of work and as usual no one wants to take on this task.

Yes we have by-laws and are aligned with the new National VCA By-Laws adopted a few years ago in St. Louis.

Our By-Laws allow for multiple officer positions if there is no one running for a officer position being offered.

JT. . .are you going to rejoin the club? You would make a wonderful club activity person for Jacksonville. Give it some thought. We could use your help up there with VCA events.

We will hold elections this year for 2005 officers and board members. Nomination requests will be sent out to all current, paid VCA members for 2004 in the Central and North Florida region. If you have not rejoined the club for 2004 you will not be eligible for nominations or a position as a club officer or board member.

See you at The Festival of Exotic cars April 18 and our next meeting at Gleason's Grille, Saturday April 24. Mark Giannotta, editor of Viper Magazine will be our special guest.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, thanks for the response. However, you ducked this one:

"The "person" assigned to organize and plan for the Northeast Florida "social chapter" never did a single thing, not one, ever, and never even shows up when the rest of us plan something."

Further, as to the "plant" in the meeting... Steve had spoken for less than 2-3 minutes on a very relevant topic on which you were wrong (In response to Steve's query about members who were not aware of the event and the responsibilities of the welcome committee, you suggested that Steve form and head up the welcome committee when our bylaws specifically require that the officers of the club make up the committee and so of course we don't have one)... Hardly enough time for someone to take offense unless they had been fore-warned.

Dude, it was VERY obvious!

I have and continue to contribute to the local club, remember I hosted the VCA Christmas party at my house to keep a local vendor from using it as an open house for his new showroom...

I want to know why we have over $14,000 in the bank and what we plan to do with it??????

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary L wrote:
JT. . .are you going to rejoin the club? You would make a wonderful club activity person for Jacksonville. Give it some thought. We could use your help up there with VCA events.

Gary, I cant speak for the West or central side of North/Central/West Florida VCA, but I can for the North area. The biggest complaint I get and hear is that there are no local events. For us to even go to Daytona is a 1.5 to 2 hour drive with all the contruction. Orlando add another hour, Tampa add 2.5 more hours. so miminal commute time to one of your events is 1.5 to 4+ hours one way. Most people find no real value in going for the time investment in travel time.

Then over a year and half ago, you assigned Sean Roe, current VP of the region to be the event coordinator and set up events for daytona, st. augustine, jacksonville, lake city and tallahasse (basically the north Florida area). Well its has now been over a year and half and Sean has done absolutely nothing to contribute to the north area VCA. No driving events were set up, no lunch meet and greets,....etc. He does not even go to the meetings you set up. Sean should of been ask to step down along time ago and let someone who wanted to plan events and be active in VCA do the job. Sean does not care about your VCA meetings, it members or the events they want to do (as his absent actions have shown), he just want to sell car parts to the VCA members, his only obvious motivation.

After the first few month on non activity planning by Sean, you should of just replaced Sean and gave the duty to someone who really wanted to and cared about setting up events. So why dont you ask Sean to step down or replace him, as he has contributed nothing to events and get some possitive things going in the North. Looks like you have already offered it to JT and he would be a great event coordinator.

If something like this done, I am sure all the members that did not rejoin will happily rejoin again, myself included....BUT please give them a reason to this time.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the questions posted to me recently:

1. Sean Roe was elected Vice President of the regional club when our last elections were held in 2002. We have elections upcoming for 2005 and 2006. If Sean or any current paid VCA member wants to run for this position then we need a nomination for the VP spot. Nomination forms will be sent out this month for club positions. Only current paid members will receive the nomination forms.

2. If any Jacksonville members last year wanted to set up club events in that area and have the club sponsor them, all that was required was an outline of the event and cost presented to Elizabeth for approval. It was not up to Sean, only to organize events in Jacksonville but club members who would step up to the plate as Johnny did for the Christmas party last year.

3. As far as our bank balance, it has taken 9 years to build this balance up. Last year, 2003, we spent more than we took in for club activities and events. We plan to use these funds for further events and a charitable contribution to "Give Kids The World" this year. Also, club expense will be covered out of these funds. I insist that the club be solvent and have a balance in our account. Much of the expense we have had over the past nine years have been covered by Elizabeth and myself without charge to the club including, postage, telephones, printing, personel time, etc., all expenses that we have covered for the club with no reimbursement.

4. As far as the claim th "Plants" at the last meeting, once again I clearly state that there where no plants at this meeting. For some reason there is a paranoid reaction to one person's comments asking to go on with the meeting and not dwell on Steve's comments. I am sorry you guys feel this way but all members have the right to express themselve as this new member did. She was not a plant.

5.If anyone of you want to step up to a position to organize
events in the Jacksonville area, please let us know. We would happily accept your help as long as you are a current VCA club member.

6.JT, I previously recognized your contribution on hosting the Christmas party last year and thank you again.

7. I do hope the Jacksonville members, rejoin the club as we would like to see your participation in VCA planned events in our region. remember, club nominations and elections are coming up and to participate in them, you must be a "Paid" current VCA member.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary L. wrote:
2. If any Jacksonville members last year wanted to set up club events in that area and have the club sponsor them, all that was required was an outline of the event and cost presented to Elizabeth for approval. It was not up to Sean, only to organize events in Jacksonville but club members who would step up to the plate as Johnny did for the Christmas party last year.
Gary,

I dont know what rock you have been under, but originally when you anounced that Sean would be the event coordinator, submit events to Libby and get funding. Well we had quite a few ideas that were presented to Sean and he just blew it off. Why do think no one wanted to go to his new place for the Christmas party, when he wanted nothing to do with setting up events for us for the last 1.5 years, until it became truely benitial to him, by having everyone come to his new shop as a christmas party promotion. Thats why Steve was all fired up that day in Tampa and what happended after that. Here were the event ideas I submitted to him that you obviously did not get or hear off:

This was the original post letting everyone know:
http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46

Then the events:

http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98
http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104
http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105
http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107
http://www.floridavipers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103

Gary L.
5.If anyone of you want to step up to a position to organize
events in the Jacksonville area, please let us know. We would happily accept your help as long as you are a current VCA club member.

Gary, We have already tried that with no results as per my previous comment. You have been draging that hook in the water for the last year and half with no meat on it. If it is your zone/region, then you or one of the elected officials should be setting up the events automatically, it does in orlando!. So if one of the VCA officers is not doing there responsibility, they should be removed and replaced. Just because I dont like the way my steak is cooked at the resturant, does not mean I want to go back in the kitchen and cook it myself to get it right.

7. I do hope the Jacksonville members, rejoin the club as we would like to see your participation in VCA planned events in our region. remember, club nominations and elections are coming up and to participate in them, you must be a "Paid" current VCA member.

I have talked to everyone and no one will rejoin until events start happening in the local area. You have to give them a reason to join/rejoin, not just having to drive 4+ hours to eat lunch with you. look at it realistically. So its really up to you and your elected officals to step up and plan the events, isnt that what we paid our dues for? If you dont you are just saying you dont care and thats seems to be the general perception all the way around. Why dont you get with one of the current VCA members and setup an event and invite all the other members that did not rejoin as a good faith commitment to actually making a possitive change in the local events problem.

Hopefully you can prove this perception wrong.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any of you ever submitted planned event suggestions to us for the Jacksonville VCA members and really followed through with them other than Johnny Tribble? I read though all your links to the North Florida Vipers message board. Was any of these idea's ever presented to us and or ever happened? I repeat myself, rejoin the VCA and we will support your planned events. Nomination forms have been mailed out and those who have not rejoined the VCA this year, will have no say in the future of the club, but that was your choice.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also remind you that I originally suggested you set up a Jacksonville regional VCA club. I offered my support to this idea. There were requirements and obligations as well as responsibilities to set up a regional club that I would support. No one stepped up to take on this task and be responsible. You had a choice and no one wanted to take on the work of doing this. It is a hell of a lot of work to run a club. Apparently not one of you guys in Jacksonville were ready or willing to do this. This could have given you your own club with your own planned events in your area. I am sorry to say this did not happen!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, you guys sure have a lot to complain about :)
Here we are in one of the largest regions and I would bet we have less than a 10 club members that post here. And none of them club leaders. No local posting board either. The web page created is updated every blue moon (twice a year). No local events are ever posted or advertised on the VCA website. YAdda, yadda, yadda.

So you want to change regions???

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

I am no longer a member so I am not concerned about it. I have given up on it. I was just trying to help you understand why most of them did not renew and the others are not going to next year, unless the local event issue is resolved. At your next meeting, have your elected officers talk to what ever members you have left and try to set up events in the local areas.

The North Florida group gets together every saturday night, drives and hits the car show circiut and does different events, from go karts, video racing at dave and busters, playing pool, water slides..etc... the fun stuff with no politics, just show, raise hell and be yourself.

I really wish someone from the VCA would step up and start planning events for both the west and north areas, after all it is there elected duty. If not it is clear sign that the Region and officiers dont give really care.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay ...... Chuck Babel has been doing Tony Darwin job here in West Florida....I NEVER see Sir Hiss (Tony Darwin)post either unless it is under some other name.

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to be an officer of the club to set up an event. Any club member can step forward and propose an event and take charge of it. How any times do I have to say this. Yes, Chuck has done a great job in the Tampa-St. Pete area for the club. Tony for all intensive purposes has not been heard from or seen for sometime. We have 192 members in our region from Pensacola to Jacksonville to Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota and Ft. Pierce. This is a huge territory for one region. It is impossible to plan events in every area for every member but if, as I said, a member wants to set something up in his or her area and there are enough current members to participate, we will support the event.

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

I apologize that I did not have the chance to reply to your messages until now. I saw you at our last get together and I enjoyed everyone’s company and our special guest, Mark Giannotta the Editor of Viper magazine.

I would like to reply to some of your comments. I believe in dialog and I think this is a good way to address some of the issues that our Club is having.

Gary Lashinsky wrote:
JT and V10 Nationals/ Steve Salis. . .to answer your questions:

No. . .there were no plants at the Daytona meeting! The woman who objected to Steve Salis was a new member and annoyed with his attitude.

4. As far as the claim the "Plants" at the last meeting, once again I clearly state that there where no plants at this meeting. For some reason there is a paranoid reaction to one person's comments asking to go on with the meeting and not dwell on Steve's comments. I am sorry you guys feel this way but all members have the right to express themselves as this new member did. She was not a plant.

Gary, one minute you praise me for being an active member and organize the event in Daytona Beach and the next minute you claim that I have an attitude. At the time that this person decide to speak up and not let me continue what I was saying, I was actually talking about having a welcome committee like the by-laws state. Now, why a new member would not want to hear about that subject?

You said sarcastically to me that I could be the welcome committee when your elected duty as a Zone Director is to promote membership and you should be more interested listening to what I had to say. I believe that is one of the purposes of having those meetings. As you know, several members have given up on our club because they don’t feel welcome.

Speaking of you being the Zone Director, where is Elizabeth? She has not responded to any of the comments posted here. You continue to act as the President although as the Zone Director you are not even supposed to be part of the Region! You have already mentioned that you are a Board member of our region and here is what the National bylaws state:

ARTICLE V: NATIONAL BOARD

Section 8. Zone Director

The Regional Officers of each Zone shall elect a Zone Director to represent them on the Board. Each Zone Director shall be a member of the National Board. Zone Directors shall promote membership growth and the formation of new Regions within their Zones and shall promote and coordinate combined Zone Events whenever possible. The Zone Directors shall have the power to appoint committees and officials within their Zones to assist in the performance of their duties. The Zone Director and the Presidents of all the Regions within a Zone shall constitute the Executive Committee of the Zone. A Zone Director must surrender his/her Regional Board position upon taking the ZD office.

Gary Lashinsky wrote:
Yes we have by-laws and are aligned with the new National VCA By-Laws adopted a few years ago in St. Louis.

Our By-Laws allow for multiple officer positions if there is no one running for a officer position being offered.

So, where are our by-laws? When I asked for the by-laws here is what Elizabeth sent me:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 7:57 AM
To: Steve Salis
Subject: Request for Bylaws

Steve,
The VCA bylaws can be obtained at the VCA website, there are approximately 60 pages.

If you have any other questions, call me, I believe I should be in the office most of the day.

Elizabeth

If we don’t have our own by-laws then there is problem because the National by-laws state that each region needs to have their own by-laws:

ARTICLE VIII: REGIONS

Section 2. Responsibility

Applicants for Region status must comply with the following requirements before they can be affiliated with the Club as a Region, or use the name of the Club:

a. Submit to the National Business Office a set of documents for the purpose of incorporating the proposed Region in one of the United States, in a possession of the United States or in an International Zone. The documents will be processed as stated in the Standard Operating Procedures. When the request to form a Region has been approved by the Zone Director, the Vice President and the Executive Director, a charter shall be issued to the Region.

b. Conduct its activities in compliance with all laws and regulations of the governmental entity in which it is incorporated.

c. Assure that its bylaws, which must be approved by the Zone Director, the Vice President and the Executive Director, state that the Region agrees to abide by the National Bylaws. It is understood that each Region shall alone be responsible for any event or activity it sponsors or conducts.

If we have our own by-laws, where are they? Could the National Office provide them for us?

I am curious to see if our by-laws allow the position of the President and the position of the Secretary/Treasurer. The National by-laws states that every depository needs to have 2 signatures. Aren’t those 2 signatures supposed to be the Treasurer’s and the President’s? It was the same way on every other association/club I ever belonged to!

We really need to get to the bottom of this!! Elections are coming up and the Nomination forms have already been received. Here are some of the questions that need an immediate response:

1) Who collects the Nomination forms?
2) Is there a Nominations Committee that prepares the ballots?
3) Who will count the ballots?
4) Is there an Elections Committee?

Gary Lashinsky wrote:
1. Sean Roe was elected Vice President of the regional club when our last elections were held in 2002. We have elections upcoming for 2005 and 2006.

At the last elections it was Sean Roe that was elected President and they he was asked to give up the position because of conflict of interest. I am not sure how Elizabeth remained the President when she was not elected to be the President. Obviously if we had a Nominations Committee we would not have this problem because the Committee would have ruled out Sean as a Nominee.

Gary Lashinsky wrote:
3. As far as our bank balance, it has taken 9 years to build this balance up. Last year, 2003, we spent more than we took in for club activities and events. We plan to use these funds for further events and a charitable contribution to "Give Kids The World" this year.

I really hope that you are not serious when you stated that you are planning to make a charitable contribution to "Give Kids The World" this year”. Believe me, I personally support all types of charities but the Club’s funds have been collected from members and should be used for the benefit of the members. It was you that mentioned that if V-10 Nationals would be financially supported by our Region would have been only if the members of our Region can benefit. I really hope that a decision for a financial contribution to a charity will be made based on the members’ wishes.

So, Gary and Elizabeth, please answer those questions not just for myself but also for the rest of the members that are reading this thread.

Thank you both for your time.

Steve Salis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte