Laser ticket yesterday

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
!@#$% it got a laser ticket yesterday for 72 in a 55. No other cars on the road and not speeding just driving with the wife and conversating on a back road which is brand new flat and 3 lanes. The 55 rating is too low, but due to potential cross traffic it's not rated at 65. Anyhow, got tagged.

Ok, who has experence with vehicle mounted laser systems such as Blinder M25 or Blinder M45. Does it really work or is it just hype.

Living in Wi the local law enforcement has moved away from radar and moved to laser for tagging vehicles. My V1 went off only to tell me to pull over you were hit. I need more protection than the V1 can provide. The blinder is said to render a 0 mph reading on the Laser gun. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many good Google searches on this, IF you want to fight it. Questions that can be asked; Was he moving? All data I've researched says he must be stationary. But, technology changes quickly. Do you have a front license plate? There is a certain amount of square inches of VERTICLE surface he has to aim for, for a good reading. And they are taught to aim for the front plate. As we know, without a front plate, where are you going to get a verticle reading on the Viper? If you do have a front plate, check into the anti-laser covers on the Web to put over it. If your V1 went off, bring up the fact he had to aim at your windshield for it to go off, it's illegal to point the laser in an occupied vehicles window. All of this and much more is found with a little Google time. By the way, good luck. Most of what I have found is not in favor of those of us who get Zapped.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
!@#$% it got a laser ticket yesterday for 72 in a 55. No other cars on the road and not speeding

Thanks.

72 in a 55, sorry actually you were speeding :crazy2: Since there wasn't any other cars around there probably isn't much your going to be able to do in terms of fighting it. It *****, since you can take a nap at 72 in a viper.

Lasers tend to be very acurate, cosine error around corners with typical radar also not too likely with laser. Lasers are usually calibrated on a daily basis, or right before they are being used. Only thing is laser has to be used while the patrolman is parked, not moving and they aren't allowed to use laser through there windshield or side window's the window's have to be down and a clear path between them and you. Lasers can get cars probably 2/3 or so of a mile away, before beam divergence takes effect.

Anyway as far as a laser jammer is concerned, that is probably asking for more trouble, if a cop gets you on an open road and doesn't get a typical reading (not zero mph) he is probably gonna stop you anyway and start asking questions. That's the risk you take I guess.

There are some polarized license plate covers out there that help a bit, but chance are most vipers don't have the front plate anyway.

I only know the above since I got stopped a few years ago at 74 in a 55, the cop let me sit in his car and clock vehicles with the laser while he was writing me ticket. He gave me the lidar 101 lesson while he wrote my ticket, didn't mark the speed down either. Oh, and I have a degree in Laser/Electro optics. :D

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your V1 went off, bring up the fact he had to aim at your windshield for it to go off, it's illegal to point the laser in an occupied vehicles window. quote]

At 1/2 mile away laser beam divergence would probably be about 6 ft in diameter and nearly impossible not to get some laser light into passenger window's or windsheild. Though at this distance there wouldn't be enough intensity to cause any harm, if it did you'd never know it since lidar system operate in the near infared range between 800 nm to 850 nm. How would you prove a cop aimed at your window?? Probably no way to.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was driving from Brainerd Minnesota to Michigan yesterday I was talking on the phone with a fellow Viper owner. He warned me about the cops in the next region. Lo and behold I was clocked by laser from a cop stationary on top of a bridge. That was just outside of Cloquet. I was of course cruising exactly 4 mph above the limit thanks to the sage advice. Thanks Steve!

Absolutely no warning until the V1 said Got ya!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the good news about lazer, the cop HAS TO be in view. you have somewhat of a chance to slow down.

flash ?

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
!@#$% it got a laser ticket yesterday for 72 in a 55. No other cars on the road and not speeding just driving with the wife and conversating on a back road which is brand new flat and 3 lanes. The 55 rating is too low, but due to potential cross traffic it's not rated at 65. Anyhow, got tagged.

Ok, who has experence with vehicle mounted laser systems such as Blinder M25 or Blinder M45. Does it really work or is it just hype.

Living in Wi the local law enforcement has moved away from radar and moved to laser for tagging vehicles. My V1 went off only to tell me to pull over you were hit. I need more protection than the V1 can provide. The blinder is said to render a 0 mph reading on the Laser gun. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

how many points did you get taken off your license, if any? i got 4 points for doing exactly what you did (72 in a 55) wasn't really speeding, just driving at a totally reasonable highway speed. i think i got a completely insane punishment..

OP
OP
I

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdude, not interested in laser jammer but laser deflector. Also, I don't deny speeding, just want to have more defensive tools in my vehicle. Thanks for the detailed explanation, it'll make great party talk.

Yep, this is a four point ticket. Again, driving a safe speed. Also, ever ask yourself why cops don't setup speed traps in poorer parts of town? NO PROFIT TO BE MADE THERE! I was on a highway which leads from a major tourist attraction (wisconsin dells) on a top down sunny afternoon. It's like fishin' in warm weather. All you have to do is wait for a big one to go by and hook 'em.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we could just organize a national movement of no speeding for 3 to 6 moths most small town police forces would go out of business due to lack of revenue. I'm, of course, not going to volunteer :D

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laser cops around here like to park on overpasses over the median on the far-side shoulder where you can't see them on approach because of the concrete barrier. They tag your back plates as you are going away. You can't see them because the rearview mirror doesn't have enough field of view.

Fortunately, I haven't been busted by one (yet) but it's gonna **** when it happens.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the built in Passport SRX and it sends an error by shifting the first laser hit then turns itself off so not to report multiple errors. It only gives you a short time to slow down but it has saved my tail a few times. The only negative is that it has three receivers mounted in the front grill and one mounted on the rear license plate and you don't know if the cop is in front or behind you unless it's laser and it will report F laser or R laser, but I love it and would not trade it for anything else I have seen or tried!

Last edited:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's an idea, stick to speeding on rainy days...

Radars do not work well in the rain (if at all)...

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just upgraded my V1 for POP radar. There is a speed trap in downtown Indy where the officer uses a gun that I assumed was POP since I did not get a peep out of the old V1. Even with the upgraded V1, I still did not get any notification as the officer pulls over people right in front of me. Either it's not POP or the V1 does not pick up POP in the "L" mode. I've since switched to the "A" mode on the V1, but I haven't seen the speed trap in operation in the last few days.

I'm thinking about getting a CB radio. :omg:

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the M25 X-treme it works flawless!! It has saved my a$$ a few times already this summer & I also use the ****** passport 8500 X50. I feel the ****** is a better detector then the Valentine

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway as far as a laser jammer is concerned, that is probably asking for more trouble, if a cop gets you on an open road and doesn't get a typical reading (not zero mph) he is probably gonna stop you anyway and start asking questions. That's the risk you take I guess.

No, the point is, the laser gets jammed on the initial hit, but you get a notification of the laser hit, so you slow down in response and can turn it off or get close enough that the laser then punches through the jammer and he gets an okay speed reading, and you keep on going, no questions asked.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperdude, not interested in laser jammer but laser deflector. Also, I don't deny speeding, just want to have more defensive tools in my vehicle. Thanks for the detailed explanation, it'll make great party talk.

Yep, this is a four point ticket. Again, driving a safe speed. Also, ever ask yourself why cops don't setup speed traps in poorer parts of town? NO PROFIT TO BE MADE THERE! I was on a highway which leads from a major tourist attraction (wisconsin dells) on a top down sunny afternoon. It's like fishin' in warm weather. All you have to do is wait for a big one to go by and hook 'em.

Thanks again.

Ivory, just contact a couple local traffic attoneys that work the court location you will have to report to. I got lasered on my way to the track last summer (94 south of Milwaukee) going 80 in a 65. I spoke to an attoney who said he works well with the primary judge, so charged me ~$150 to show up for me. Got a letter in the mail shortly after my court date saying he got the 4 pointer knocked down to a "defective speedometer" (2 pointer) and paid the original fine. Not cheap, but those extra 2 points might come in handy at some point:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........ Do you have a front license plate? There is a certain amount of square inches of VERTICLE surface he has to aim for, for a good reading. And they are taught to aim for the front plate. As we know, without a front plate, where are you going to get a verticle reading on the Viper?

Answer: The HEADLIGHTS and Foglights! Highly reflective and collective, and conveniently focused straight back at the laser operator!

[Use daytime-only lens covers to diminish reflectivity. Illegal when headlights required. Use tinted license plate covers (or diffractive ones as sold in car mags) to dimnish plate reflectivity. Also not legal if too dark. ]

White targets are the most reflective, Silver next, then black at the bottom

Your only true protection is for your detector to capture the "SPLASH" from cars being targeted ahead of you, and treat those 'false alarms' with the utmost respect. If you are the ONLY target, you might as well pull over, as the original poster noted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang