Legality of racing seats

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering putting racing seats in my Viper but not sure I want the hassle of putting in / taking out between events. Are racing seats legal for street use? Are some legal and others aren't? I understand the racing harness is not. Thanks in advance.

Terry

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had racing seats for years and believe the current occupant safety systems are just seatbelts and airbags. Both must be "automatically" adjustable, which is why a harness is not legal (it's manually adjustable only.) For your own sake, though, look at the racing seat's recommendations for supporting the seatback. Some prefer a brace from the seatback rearward to attach to a frame member and in the Viper, there isn't a frame component. It aims towards the fuel tank and you probably don't want to puncture it.

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I never understood the real reason why harnesses aren't legal. I guess it makes sense though. Have you seen racing seats that work reasonably well with a GTS setup? I think I've seen Sparco (Corsa?) but I'm not sure how the back was supported (or if it was).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding a racing harness wasn't legal because the latches were not standard and would require EMS to learn the different types.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I've seen some folks work around the "automatically adjustable" seatbelt issue by hooking the Y shoulder belts to a retractable reel in the back seat and have one lap belt hooked to a retractable reel (or use the pinching type adjuster that only gets tighter.) My undertanding was that was OK since the seatbelt would always then be "properly adjusted." I've not heard about the different style latches, although they all seem to be made for quick opening. I know, should be obvious, but it's a safety thing, so no jokes this time.

Then again, I've been stopped for "no front plate" and "too loud" and ... uh.. well, speeding, and nobody has ever said anything about the harness I have. Probably just jinxed myself.

No experience with a GTS, but I will add that the Kirkey road race intermediate than I have is a 15" and I've heard 16" will fit, but larger will not. The wings for the shoulders will hit the doors, or you will have to angle the seat away from straight ahead. The Kirkey is an aluminum shell with a cloth cover; other seats have real upholstery.

This is a reasonable and useful idea - start a post (poll) about what seats people use and how they fit, because I can see that some just plain won't (or won't without a lot of fabrication for mounts.)

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I actually asked some Deputy Sheriff's and State Troopers before going to a TeamTech 6pt harness. They didn't see a problem with it. The consensus was......"It looks a lot safer than stock seatbelts and I can't see anyone having a problem with it."

And I don't know what would make a race seat illegal??? Would any cop know it wasn't stock........probably not. The Viper essentially comes with race seats (kinda) and most non-owners wouldn't notice the addition of a Sparco or Recaro, etc. Hell, even the ACR comes with harnesses and is street legal. I say go with it!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trainville, the locals may not be trained, but Federal Motor Vehicle occupant safety standards are the body of law that dictate seatbelts, airbags, etc. They are the ones that required "automatic" adjustments that some OEMs translated into the crazy seatbelt that ran along the edge of the door. They were "automatic" in that they adjusted to the occupant. Same with the belt winding up in the door - Gen 1 had two rollers in the door so you could actually open the door without unbuckling. Getting in again allowed you to be "automatically" fitted with seatbelts again. When airbags were introduced, they became the automatic safety protection and the seatbelts moved to over the shoulder and in the center.

Canada, where I bought my car, had a requirement that seatbelts be attached to the frame. So my '94 had Gen 2 belts but without the airbags. To import it, I had to have the US in-door belts installed. I didn't like that, so soon after importing it... anyway.

The best overall idea is have both - 5 or 6 points and leave the OEM belts in place. It adds weight, they get in the way, but keep you 100% legal. But as you've found, most police don't know or look, and certainly as long as you are wearing them, won't think to ticket you for no seat belt.

The ACR is legal because I think it has both.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I guess that was my point - the locals don't care. The feds don't patrol highways and enforce regulations, which leaves enforcement up to state and local law enforcement. I took out the factory belts and installed the 6pt harnesses. The passenger compartment would have been too cramped for BOTH. But if concerned about obeying the LETTER of the law, better go stock.

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Corbeau A4 racing seats and G-Force 5 point racing harnesses. I'll post some pictures and let you know how it turns out.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a racing seat in my 1996 GTS. Fabulous comfortable on long trips but that's not the point. The Belts - I tucked my Team Tech harness away behind the seat and used the stock seat belt when driving the car on the street - very practical.
Tip - buy an FIA certified seat and it does not require a brace - I mounted mine to the original rails so it was adjustable.

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, what kind of seat did you install and did you have any fitment problems with the bulkhead, center console, or door panel? It seems a lot of the seats I've looked at are too wide. Thanks for the post.

Terry

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gavin, who did the install, and who made the bracket for the seat to be adjustable? was it valaya? I think I have seen your car down there.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering putting racing seats in my Viper but not sure I want the hassle of putting in / taking out between events. Are racing seats legal for street use? Are some legal and others aren't? I understand the racing harness is not. Thanks in advance.

Terry
I had Bobby Archer install Sparco Evo 2 seats and harnesses on both sides and also a quick release racing wheel which did away with the driver air bag. I have had the car inspected here in Texas several times (which is fairly strict) and pass each time. The Sparco is the most common but you have to shave off some of the upper corners that face the doors in order for the doors to close, unless you have the inner door moulding removed. I also had the seats fixed mounted and did away with the slide adjusters.

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wondering about the Sparco Corsa - did you consider that one? Why did you choose the Evo 2? Maybe I need to talk to Bobby at the next Viper Days to see what is best for me.

Terry

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wondering about the Sparco Corsa - did you consider that one? Why did you choose the Evo 2? Maybe I need to talk to Bobby at the next Viper Days to see what is best for me.

Terry
The evo 2 is wider at the hip and is more comfortable for a larger person.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth