Lemans

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone been watching ?, the bits I've seen the Labre team even with all their experience where getting a good hiding and are out paced by the 'newer' cars, not only from the Corvettes but also the 550's, they will be hard to beat unless they have mechanical problems. The ferrari's are 10 kmph quicker than the vettes down the straight

Come on Dodge get with the programme !

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell yes, we started recording on Tivo, then started watching around 3PM. That way we should avoid pretty much all commercials. Giant pork butt in the smoker, cigars marinading in the humidor, Sam Adams keg on tap, T-bones on the grill, life is good. Prodrive is flat-out amazing.

Although the frequent Vette commercials PISS ME OFF. I really wish GM had kept their f*cking mouths (and checkbooks) shut and let the superior Vipers win. Uh yeah, Mr. GM, where do I sign up for that that 7 liter engine option? NASCAR media ****.

Still... love it. Far better watching it on TV than when we were there in person in 2001 (as one TV show I saw recently described it, "2001 was consistently the worst weather in the 70-plus history of this race").

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, vettes didnt win :-D i think GM will pull them out now before they look dumb. lets hope that the vipers come back and make a real asskicking again :-D

-dan

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Are the Vipers still running with weight and air restrictions?

Also, don't forget the c5rs are not vettes but GM race cars.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the Viper still have air restrictions and weight penalties. And in spite of those, and not being factory efforts, they were still on the ass of the GM factory cars.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Oreca needs to start preparing their CC now for next years race, and try and get it to the meet regulations some how

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just think of all the $$$ GM is going to spend to re-do the magazine, newspaper and TV ads for the vette.

If I were mean, would suggest that the new Le Mans paint scheme will be stacked up along side the 50th anniversary paint schemes already stacked up on the showroom floors. But I am not mean.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C5-Rs were lapping more than 5 seconds faster then the Vipers on the fast laps. Add another 2 seconds for the Ferraris. That's way too much speed and no chance of overtaking unless they encounter mechanical problems.

GM was hoping for a three-peat but did not make it. Vipers won the Le Mans GTS class in 98, 99, and 2000. Still don't understand the reasoning behind cutting the program off and concentrating on NASCRASH. I can't see how the racing there translates to a higher performance Intrepid on the showroom floor.

Wolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the race and loved it, the 550's were awesome, the GM racing team looked like they were praying that the Ferrari would break or crash, not a good way to win a race....
I think the Vipers were legislated out of racing, too many restrictions (restrictors, suspension, weight....).

Hopefully ORECA can get the CC ready for racing next year, nothing better than a three way fight between Ferrari, Dodge, and GM racing each other.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet ford will want in on it with there GT, just like the killed ferrari before with the GT40.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think The 53 vette was out twice for alternator problems when the gear drive failed. Looked like it's on the rear of the car running off the transaxle and they had to change transaxles. lots of time lost.

Reaction score
Wolfgang needs to go before we can go back to Le Mans. We asked him, on the bus ride to the "Crazy Horse", "he said It was to dangerous" Wolfgang was in charge of AMG in 99 when the Mercedes were best known for "flying" at Le Mans. Mercedes has a bad history with Le Mans. In 55 they were involved with the worst accident in Le Mans history and 99 could have been a repeat. The 99 car had serious aero problems and flew several times during practice and in the race.

Le Mans is the best race of the year in my opinion. Mis the Viper leading the GTS category. Would have loved to see the vette come in behind the Viper for their 50th Birthday Party.

I loved attending in 98 with the Viper Club/ORECA.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Le Mans is too dangerous??? LOL

That has to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Somebody get him on the phone and tell him about that giant chicane that's screwing up the Mulsanne straight. So is Dodge paying the price for the Benz flying wing thing, or is that just Wolfgang's personal opinion? :rolleyes:

Would have loved to see the vette come in behind the Viper for their 50th Birthday Party.

I can't believe nobody thought of that at our little Le Mans get-together this past weekend... That would have been hilarious!

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me which Ferrari team Shane Lewis drove for? He was one of my instructors at Justin Belle. Curious to know if his car survived...

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to consider Wolfgang's "dangerous" comment in terms of marketing not injury.

Look at all the money Cadillac spent at Le Mans only to end up looking incompetent.

Look at how much money Ford continues to spend in F1, also looking the fool.

What about the Oreca Viper program? That program was great right up until Saleen built a car to drive through a loophole in the regulations. Sure the S7 was eventually punished out of competitiveness, but the ACO immediately followed up by allowing GM's fully cheater C5R.

A successfull Le Mans program is really expensive. Why would Wolfgang commit to such a thing when the organizers can torpedo his whole program on a whim? That's dangerous marketing.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Bently team has pulled out of next years even though they finished 1st and 2nd overall, they only had a 2 year programme even with all that german money behind them. It would cost lots for Dodge/Chrysler to get back and be competitive, though an extra few dollars on every car they sell would easily cover the tab, well worth it I say

Reaction score
Wolfgang's comment was about injury. After his to dangerous comment he said some one was killed there 4 months ago. His AMG experience at LeMans is more likely the driving emotion.

The Viper was/is older technology compared to the vette but ORECA was/is up to the task of putting the Viper on the podium.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any news is good news, lets hope they progress quickly from the talks, I fancy Lemans again next year and seeing a winning viper

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte