let me be the first to say - KING OF THE HILL - YEA BABY

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Different strokes. For me...after 14 years of Viper ownership, this is one of the highlights. A car that looks great, will outperform the competition, and has the capability to move on up if needed. So you want a 95k car that appeals more to you than your 160k+ FGT? Don't quite get that...but it will outperform your GT, in stock trim.

Wow, put down the crack pipe and step away! Don't get too cocky yet. At least let the performance figures come out for it.

It is simple mathematics. Not rocket scientist stuff. You know..like when you were racing the Supra on the interstates in Vegas. You had more power to weight. You waxed him. Same thing.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me see some drag slip times before crowning this car king of the hill vs the GT or the Z06. I have yet to see a Viper get close to the Z06 stock vs. stock on the drag strip.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the new Viper and the Ford GT will be almost IDENTICAL in performance. Both in the quarter mile, and around the track. The Viper may do a tad better around the track, but I see the new Viper being just a tad faster than the Z....and right now, the Ford GT has a very slight advantage over the Z06.

Either way, this is all just guess work.....bring it out already!! :laugh:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT is in a different category. Kinda unfair to compare a short run limited production collectable to cars that have been around for years with many more years to come. If I had a FGT I don't think anything would make me sell it.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me see some drag slip times before crowning this car king of the hill vs the GT or the Z06. I have yet to see a Viper get close to the Z06 stock vs. stock on the drag strip.

What is close? I have '06 Vipers...have had 3 C6 Z06's, still have 1..and FGT's. I can tell you same driver, same track that the Z will best the Viper by .2-.3. The GT will SLIGHTLY best the Z06.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The FGT is in a different category. Kinda unfair to compare a short run limited production collectable to cars that have been around for years with many more years to come. If I had a FGT I don't think anything would make me sell it.

I agree, I was just commenting on someone else thinking this new Viper version would blow away the GT. :rolleyes:

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree, I was just commenting on someone else thinking this new Viper version would blow away the GT. :rolleyes:

You have no clue do you? I own FGT's. One modded to over 1000WHP. Have had 4...have 3 currently. I stand by my comments. Never said "blow away" You need to re-read. I said the new Viper will best the FGT. Simple stuff. I did make a top end disclaimer however.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What is close? I have '06 Vipers...have had 3 C6 Z06's, still have 1..and FGT's. I can tell you same driver, same track that the Z will best the Viper by .2-.3. The GT will SLIGHTLY best the Z06.

I am confused, you are now agreeing with me? The GT will beat the Z, and the Z will beat the Viper in that order. The only Viper I have ever seen clome close to the Z is Wanted and that is a Gen2. Show me some proof of a Gen3 coming close to the Z. I say at best the Viper is a minimum .4-.6 behind the Z in real world numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are coming out with a better Viper, but I won't throw around outlandish claims until the product is on the road in drivers hand and some real numbers get put down.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am confused, you are now agreeing with me? The GT will beat the Z, and the Z will beat the Viper in that order. The only Viper I have ever seen clome close to the Z is Wanted and that is a Gen2. Show me some proof of a Gen3 coming close to the Z. I say at best the Viper is a minimum .4-.6 behind the Z in real world numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are coming out with a better Viper, but I won't throw around outlandish claims until the product is on the road in drivers hand and some real numbers get put down.

Not agreeing with you at all. The new '08 Viper will best the FGT, and Z06. It will not best the FGT in top end. If you want Z06 comparisons to Viper...look at Mag results. .2-.3 in most. Same drivers, same track, same day. Actually, 1 or 2 had the Viper on top. Not right though.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not agreeing with you at all. The new '08 Viper will best the FGT, and Z06. It will not best the FGT in top end. If you want Z06 comparisons to Viper...look at Mag results. .2-.3 in most. Same drivers, same track, same day. Actually, 1 or 2 had the Viper on top. Not right though.

Well, having the means to purchase great automobiles does not make you a reasonable nor rational person, obviously.

I don't wave the Ford flag, as the FGT is the first Ford I have purchased.
I certainly don't wave the Corvette flag, but I give credit where credit is due.

You are standing alone in stating that a car that has yet to be produced and has only been available to be read about for one day has now clearly claimed some sports car crown.

This is bench racing to the extreme.

The 2008 Viper may indeed best the GT...but until it actually does, it is ridiculous to make that assumption.

All FGT owners know the car makes 525-550 RWHP stock, making it truly as powerful or more powerful than the upcoming Viper.Weight should be similar also.

How else are you measuring these two cars?

For the record, I wouldn't sell the FGT but I wanted the new Viper to make me want to sell it. I desire...DESIRE for the Viper again.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always someone bigger, faster . . . check out the January issue of Sports Car International magazine. You'll find a guy (who owns a 600 hp Viper) that manufactures 2,200 lb. Cobras with a 12.9 liter BIG BLOCK V8 with 1,100 hp and 1,297 lb-ft of torque!!

Check it out: http://www.sci-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html

Let's enjoy what Dodge is making available to us and try not to get too carried away!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Viper585 for two reasons - his experience which he seems to have a ton of seat time in each car. Another reason is that I recently ran a zo6 at 70mph role. He had a simple filter change and my Viper with the mods below. We reced to around 150 and i had him by a 3/4 of a car. I presume with my mods i am running in the 460-480 rwhp. With over 500 rwhp it should be a decent spanking.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600hp has officially spelled "retirement" for my old 97. There is no way I'm gonna dump more money into a 10 year old outdated car to try and keep pace with an 08 Viper or Vette around 3 miles of track.

It has been a great ride #34, thanks for the memories but your days are numbered.

Bring on the 08.

Chuck you crack me up but it is true. Be careful, your car might hear you. :nono:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600hp has officially spelled "retirement" for my old 97. There is no way I'm gonna dump more money into a 10 year old outdated car to try and keep pace with an 08 Viper or Vette around 3 miles of track.

It has been a great ride #34, thanks for the memories but your days are numbered.

Bring on the 08.

Chuck you crack me up but it is true. Be careful, your car might hear you. :nono:

We sat down and had a long discussion about the future. Everything is good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21