Let's talk about Alarm systems and other anti-theft devices for the Viper

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let\'s talk about Alarm systems and other anti-theft devices for the Viper

Hi guys,

I have the stock Alarm that came with the Gen 1 Viper. Since the alarm is some 9 years old now, I think it might be a good idea to upgrade it to one of the newer, state of the art types. Any thoughts on this?

Next: Have any of you added other anti-theft gizmo's to your car like Gas cut off valves, etc. ?

My car has a peculiar quirk that won't allow it to start unless you do something special with one of the foot pedals. It's actually a defect that I was asked if I wanted fixed, but I left in there because you can't start the car, even with a key, without knowing what to do (previous owner in this forum knows what I am talking about.) After I bought it, I sat in the parking lot for about 15 mins trying to figure it out, before I finally gave up ;)

Anyway, what alarm systems have you guys put in that you really like? What about for RT owners -- do you have any of those that scan the interior of your car while the top is off?

In the past, I have had a car stolen with an alarm that was parked in a gated garage with live security walking around. Today, it's parked in my garage which has an alarm, the car has an alarm, and there are two german shepherds that sleep in the garage at night as well. I feel rather safe at night, anyway.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Let\'s talk about Alarm systems and other anti-theft devices for the Viper

They steal for one of two reasons.

1. Chop shop. Not much $$$ success in selling stolen Viper parts. With fewer than 15,000 Vipers around there's not a big market and parts for such a small market are easier to trace than with a 300,000 qty car.

2. Joy riders. Guaranteed not to make it past the first light pole or tree.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

Above post is correct. Very few Vipers have been stolen. I worry more about vandalism then the car being taken. I did install a backup pager alarm and I use it more then the factory alarm. It is silent and has about a 3 mile range. It goes off if the doors are opened but they can be set up with a number of different sensors. Cost around $150.00 and easy to install. I even have one on my bike.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hi guys,

"My car has a peculiar quirk that won't allow it to start unless you do something special with one of the foot pedals.

Today, it's parked in my garage which has an alarm, the car has an alarm, and there are two german shepherds that sleep in the garage at night as well. I feel rather safe at night, anyway."

Car alarm, Garage alarm PLUS 2 German Shephards? Believe me, nobody is stealing your car at home. No way. Now when its away, that's another story.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Want protection, go here and view the Video. You may need to download the Quick Time Player. If not click on the link under the Quicktime gold bar.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

Later,

Now that's something you don't see every day. Woe!

You must be registered for see images

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use a Clifford IntelliGuard 8000 System. It uses a dual-zone perimeter alarm, as well as shock, motion, and tilt sensors, and it has enough different modes of use that theres pretty much a different setting for every environment. There are also a bunch of other add-ons that Clifford offers just in case the 8000 System isn't enough. Works like a charm!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It seems there's be alot of simple ways to make it so you couldn't start a car or drive it if a thief did get it started. Preventing someone from towing it or trailering it is another story . They say the public doesn't pay attention to audible alarms anyway...

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO; alarm a wast eof time full coverage insurance is the best alarm system out there, that and carrying a nice lil titanium .38, LOL

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Open the hood, disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body shaft..takes about 20 seconds. (on a GenII) A thief can't drive it, can't rev the sht out of it in anger. The thief probably couldn't figure out how to reconnect the throttle cable even if he did open the hood...That rountine could get old I guess for the Viper owner..depends on how often you go places where you're worried about theft.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Let\'s talk about Alarm systems and other anti-theft devices for the Vip

There is another trick you can do that would stop the drugged out joy rider from taking your baby. If you remove the fuse panel just inside the driver side door, there is a small fuse for the starter, I think it is only 8-10 amps. I pull this fuse out and put it in my pocket whenever I have to leave my baby in an undesirable location.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to change topics, but does the fact that anyone can open your hood (if they know how) without much effort bother anyone here? I was surprised to learn it does not lock with the doors/trunk. Anybody make any changes to lock it electrically? Perhaps an extra relay and solenoid would do the job.

Thanks, Manoj

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i like the throttle cable and fuse ideas, thnx

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A friend of mine is an HVAC tech, and the company he works for lost 5 vans in one year. He now installs a passive kill switch in every new van the company gets. Usually a relay and some wire is all that is required.

A couple he has done. Placed a microswitch..momentary on...in the cig lighter. Rigged it to the center position of the fan switch. I was thinking of rigging the relay to my back-up lights.

You turn the key to "on", place the car in reverse..then start the engine. Otherwise, the fuel pump won't come on..starter will not engage. Plus, there is no obvious thing for a crook to find. By the way...since he has installed these switches...they have not lost a van.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A friend of mine is an HVAC tech, and the company he works for lost 5 vans in one year. He now installs a passive kill switch in every new van the company gets. Usually a relay and some wire is all that is required.

A couple he has done. Placed a microswitch..momentary on...in the cig lighter. Rigged it to the center position of the fan switch. I was thinking of rigging the relay to my back-up lights.

You turn the key to "on", place the car in reverse..then start the engine. Otherwise, the fuel pump won't come on..starter will not engage. Plus, there is no obvious thing for a crook to find. By the way...since he has installed these switches...they have not lost a van.

Oh I like your idea, though I'm not exactly sure I'm understanding it completely. They way you'd have it set up would not allow you to start the Viper by putting it in reverse first, then just starting it? You'd actually have to turn the key to ON first, then place it in reverse, followed by turning the key the rest of the way to start it? By not following this exact sequence it would not start?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte