Lets talk Paxton

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that is why he is considering charging. Stock ZR1's taste like chicken to charged Vipers!

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully I did not make this over technical. That is a personal fault of mine. At least I did not get into dendrite formation and how that impacts the elongation and stress capacity. :)

Sounds like you were teaching my material science class back in college. :omg:

It may be technical but some of us do appreciate the info. :)

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer keeping the track cars NA but have several customers who track Paxton SRT's.
We use a colder spark plug, crankcase vent system, 170 Thermostat, PCM Calibration and a much larger heat exchanger and pump. I suggest you use 5 gallons of 100 octane fuel with a tank of gas.
So far no issues with cars running in sessions up to 45 minutes.

We stock these parts.

A couple of things.

1.) Is the Higher Octane beneficial relative to boosted motors or is there a benefit to NA motors on the track?

2.) I was thinking of "trading up" to a Viper that had a Paxton added by one of the site supporters. I am still concerned about trackability:hmmm:. What sort of checks can be done to ensure that the motor is still in top working order before a purchase of the car?

spotter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just becareful with some tuners.. Do your research big time.. I would stay with woodhouse or DC. Even Underground. I did the Florida thing and I regret it.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Plum Crazy I have a DLM rear heat exchanger that carries almost 5 gallons of water. I use the upgraded Lightning pump and after 35,000 miles it never missed a beat and I hot lapped the car on the track numerous times.

I have never heard of a better system then the DLM and Doug has been doing supercharged Vipers since the 90's. You should call him or even PM Plumcrazy for additional information.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of things.

1.) Is the Higher Octane beneficial relative to boosted motors or is there a benefit to NA motors on the track?

2.) I was thinking of "trading up" to a Viper that had a Paxton added by one of the site supporters. I am still concerned about trackability:hmmm:. What sort of checks can be done to ensure that the motor is still in top working order before a purchase of the car?
Higher octane is only important if you think it could get into detonation. A stock engine with a stock tune should be safe.

If buying it would be prudent to remove a few spark plugs checking their condition. A leak down and compression test may also be good. If available a borescope check of a few cylinders may also be good, but not necessary if the leak down and compression tests are good.