License Plate Renewal RIPOFF

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is just one more completely outrageous bill. $655.00 to renew my plates for one year in this backwards state.

If you try to pull the old "I only live here part time that is why I have Illinois plates etc." they will ticket you. But, you can drive all over the state indefinitely with Mexico Plates....can you tell who runs Arizona?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try MS, still over a grand for 1 year.

I feel your pain.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MD has one time inspection, one time 5% tax, all on first registration..
OK, I have to have a front plate, no biggie.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Annual personal property tax on Viper here in CT ... over $1,000. Plate renewal is not as outrageous but still high - but I've got 4 cars and 1 motorcycle to cover. I don't even get kissed when I write those checks.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well with the repeal of the licensing fees here in CA we are now somewhere in the middle..

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my renewal notice here in kali for my 97 GTS. A whopping $989. Thank God Arnold is in to save the day. That leaves more money for Hoosiers!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking state plate renewel or state property taxes?

Exactly. We had this exact issue on a recent thread. Any time I see someone saying their license plate is more than $25-50 (with or without personalized), I assume they are including their state property tax.

Here in NC:
1. About $300/year 98 Viper property tax
2. About $45/year personalized plate fee
3. No front plate required!

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am strictly talking about renewing my license plates for another year. It is not including property tax. I just paid $655.00 for a little blue sticker that says '04 and goes in the top corner of my existing plates....I hope this eliminates the confusing post.

Maui...This is the one bad thing about AZ. your plates will probably be in the 300.00 range as it goes by the year of the car and the original sticker price. It goes down by about $25.00 per year.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My little sticker (gotta pay the property tax to get it) for the SRT was $2400 in South Carolina. The plate renewal is only about $25. I think I'm the King. Anyone higher?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$13000????? This is getting silly. I assume it's because there's no state income tax in Bush Jr.s State? I think I'd rather pay ......no nevermind. Property tax is a scam.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am strictly talking about renewing my license plates for another year. It is not including property tax. I just paid $655.00 for a little blue sticker that says '04 and goes in the top corner of my existing plates....I hope this eliminates the confusing post.

Maui...This is the one bad thing about AZ. your plates will probably be in the 300.00 range as it goes by the year of the car and the original sticker price. It goes down by about $25.00 per year.

Most states seem to charge a flat rate for plates, with a $20 kicker for personalized plates. The fact that your "plate fees" are so high, and change based on the age of the car (an indicator of value), it sounds like your "plate fees" are a hybrid of typical plate fees and property taxes. Do you also have to pay property tax on your cars out there?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I registered my Viper at my AZ address because it was much cheaper than California address. And that was before the now repealed car tax.....

AZ....~$550.00
SD....~$3900.00

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$13000????? This is getting silly. I assume it's because there's no state income tax in Bush Jr.s State? I think I'd rather pay ......no nevermind. Property tax is a scam.

Ha, look at his vehicle list, the $13k is probably for all of them! I thought FL didn't have a vehicle property tax though?!

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my renewl, it is as follows:

Registration Fee $30.00
Vehicle License Fee $632.00
Special Plate Fee $25.00
County/District Fees $6.00
Total Due $693.00

With our new Govenor he cut back the License Fee that Davis Tripled so registration was $693.00 and now that the triple fee has been TERMINATED the total registration is $226.00. That's a great start for our new Govenator! :2tu:

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1,150, but it's not due for two months, so I'm hoping Arnold gets that tax corrected soon.

I did have to pay the new "Gray" tax on my Suburban this month - around $500, with about $300 of that - thank you Gray Davis. Word is that Arnold may be able to have refunds sent out...

Being my business brings money in to this State, they shoud be paying ME, not the other way around! (fat chance)

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas annual auto fees where I live (rural area)

Plate/renewal sticker ~ $60.00 (personalized plate)
Yearly vehicle inspection - $12.50
No emissions testing
No personal property tax on vehicles
Front plate required (but not on mine, no tickets yet)
:2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ha, look at his vehicle list, the $13k is probably for all of them! I thought FL didn't have a vehicle property tax though?!

Correct, FL doesn't have vehicle property tax. The 13K is for his home, which must be one hell of a house since property tax in FL is not out of line with the rest of the country.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just paid $140 for 2 years for registratin and custom plates. Hmmmmm it looks like NY is better maybe because I'm leasing.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I moved South from New York. TAXES!!! Plate fee's for my Viper are $44.00 for two years and there is NO property tax (called Homestead Exemption)if you live on your property.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$20. annual tag fee (little "04" sticker) Per vehicle.
$1200. property tax & school tax
6% state income tax

No sales tax, at all.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just heard they are trying to pass some crap in Ohio to base the plates on the value of the car! What a load of sh**!!!! :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson