Lift bolted down?

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Greg Smith 9000 lb lift and its not bolted down and have had no problems. On your finished floor I think I would put a couple bolts in each corner just so it won't move and mark up your floor.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that my garage floor had something called post-tension built in, and that damaging it can cause catastrophic accidents. What is post-tension and what's it for?
Thanks,

Post tension slab reinforcement is where a sleeved steel cable is placed into the pour and when the concrete has cured, it is stretched to some level of tension and then permanently fixed at that stress. Kind of an internal rubber band keeping your slab from cracking, as opposed to rebar which relies simply on the structural properties of steel as a stiffening member to reinforce the slab.

Having drilled more holes in concrete than most, and also having seen up close what post tension cables look like, if you can run a roto-hammer through one you are a super human. The drill will stop drilling (concrete drills are great at drilling concrete, and completely **** at drilling steel), find a new place for your hole...

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Bend Pak installed two years ago. The guy who did the install told me not to bolt down so the posts would "find thier own place as the car goes up and down". Let me tell you, that was INSANE !!!! The car would be up and the whole thing would be swaying side to side. I was scared to walk under it. I had to take it apart anyway since my truck was to wide for the lift and I had to get wider cross members. I put it back together myself and absolutely bolted it down. It is solid as a rock, goes up and down great, does not bind up, very safe, no problems. That is the way to go !

Get some real good lag bolts and drill carefully ! DO it right the first time.

AC

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have mine bolted down at the moment, but I did install anchors in the floor. Best of both worlds. Bolted down for day-to-day and easily moved when / if need arises.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a 4 post lift for 7 years and it is not bolted to the slab - no problems.

I've owned a place for eight years now that's less than a mile from the San Andreas fault - and no problems for me, either :crazy2: In hindsight, I haven't been in an accident for the past 25 years, so I guess I could have gone without auto insurance for that entire time, too.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Bend Pack and a Dannmar 4 post lifts. Neither is bolted down. I had the floor poured flat. Also, I never lower without watching all corners as it comes down.

No problem after three years of constant use as I rotate the cars for driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Revolution 4-post lift for 4-5 years now with no floor bolting and no issues whatsoever.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hindsight, I haven't been in an accident for the past 25 years, so I guess I could have gone without auto insurance for that entire time, too.

My God that's worth printing and sticking on the wall! :2tu:

Duh. It's not about what hasn't happened yet. It's about reducing the odds of what historically will happen.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be the most paranoid, maybe because I've had a lift accident. Not only is my lift bolted down, but I welded in large gussets with holes at each corner near my ramps. When the cars in the air for any reason, all four corners have soft slings with shackles positioning the car. In an earthquake or any sort of lift failure the car will not fall off the lift. You live and learn.