Lift Types?? Not interested in traditional 2 or 4 post. Options??!! Flooring??

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've decided to undertake a garage overhaul project and need some help determining whats the best car lift for my needs .

I used to have a 4 post hobby lift. And it was ok, and it got the job done, but quite frankly it was slow at lifting, and kind of a pain in the *** with getting cars in and out. I have a 15 foot high ceiling, so height is no problem. But since I live in the city of Chicago you dont get a huge run way to get the car in straight. This was 'ok' with the old 4 post I had, because I got the wider version. But it still was a little 'scary' with snow on the ground pulling the srt8 Jeep in at an angle, and not slidding around getting close to 1 of the 4 posts. (this is while the viper is raised above).

I want to avoid all that, and so I am thinking the way to go is get one of those side mounted car lifts. I remember a few years back I saw an ex Viper owner with one of these, basically you have 1 post, its to the right of the car (blocks the passenger door basically), but you drive right up onto this little platform, and it lifts the whole car up. I am not super concerned about how this version or that version impacts my ability to work on the car, because its for most function is to get the viper off the ground and out of the way, and still allow convient and easy parking below it.

Does anyone know what those types of lifts are called? and who is the best, and what options I should be looking for?

Also, since I'll have that mounted down to the ground, what kind of flooring should I put in? Something that I can do oil changes, and if something spills, it doesnt just seep between cracks/joints in snap in pieces. I've tried the epoxy floor paint, but it seems to get eaten up by the salts when you drive in and out of it during the winter months. Maybe I just had a cheap kind (home depot), also the draw back is that stuff needs to be applied during the summer, and I want to do this project now, in the colder winter months here in Chicago.

Thanks for the help!!

Jon

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been researching lifts also but I am looking for a 4 post. I think you are referring to the single post bendpak lift. Tree Snake on this forum has two of them.

3_car_garage_003.jpg

Here is the link to the thread.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/618164-car-lift-my-garage-4.html

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like working on a car would be pretty difficult on this type of lift

Dear putz, try reading. I know being a lawyer and all thats not something you like to waste your time on.... but try it.. 1st post and you'll see thats not a major concern.

BTW, hows no lift at all working for ya ? :rolaugh: Nothing like a nice concrete slab to do all your work off of. :lmao:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear putz, try reading. I know being a lawyer and all thats not something you like to waste your time on.... but try it.. 1st post and you'll see thats not a major concern.

BTW, hows no lift at all working for ya ? :rolaugh: Nothing like a nice concrete slab to do all your work off of. :lmao:

I'm just trying to make sure you consider all of the work you need to do on my car. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself...too much.:D

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My garage is set up so that one of those single post lifts would be my best option. Probably nothing to be worried about, but I am a little concerned about having to drive over that **** on a daily basis with a Ford Explorer and if over time it would loosen up the bolts that hold the lift to the floor. Also looks like I would need to run 220V to the garage for the lift.

My only other issue is the $5.5K price tag vs. the $2.5k price for a 4 post lift. (Might be nice to use that $3k on a Quaiffe/Gears or towards a supercharger.)

As far as working on the Viper with that lift - it HAS to be better than working on the concrete which I have done for the past 6 years. Seems that it is more than open enough for your basic fluid changes. Did not see an option for a jack tray so that you could do some wheel work? This probably makes sense as that potentially would unbalance the weight on the platform.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost is not a significant factor for me in this case. As my viper is complete. I wont be doing any more mods, she has all the ones you speak of. At this point, Im going to drive her, and change the oils and thats it.

I knew these lifts are more expensive. And there is no way driving over that thing everyday is going to losen it, if properly installed.

I also have (2) 220 outlets installed for the sole purpose of running a lift and a air compressor. So again, thats not a worry, but actually prefered feature. 220 has more power to get the job done.

I am at the phase of finding out where I can get it, who will install it, and the best price I can get on it. Once thats done, one of these bad boys will be up and running in my garage!!

Now for the damn flooring, suggestions?

Jon

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost is not a significant factor for me in this case. As my viper is complete. I wont be doing any more mods, she has all the ones you speak of. At this point, Im going to drive her, and change the oils and thats it.

I knew these lifts are more expensive. And there is no way driving over that thing everyday is going to losen it, if properly installed.

I also have (2) 220 outlets installed for the sole purpose of running a lift and a air compressor. So again, thats not a worry, but actually prefered feature. 220 has more power to get the job done.

I am at the phase of finding out where I can get it, who will install it, and the best price I can get on it. Once thats done, one of these bad boys will be up and running in my garage!!

Now for the damn flooring, suggestions?

Jon
This post should have been your first post. :rolleyes:

v10Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe you may need at least a 6" thick slab to mount the single post lift on......something to consider or at the least look into before purchase.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes 6" is ideal or more for the lift. make sure you also know what PSI concrete you are using. I put fiber in mine along with rebar

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Requirement for the single post BendPak lift states 4" 3000 psi concrete requirement. Their 4 post lift states 3.5" 2500 psi requirement.

Does anyone know what would be typical for a garage? Would seem that the only way to tell for sure would be to drill a sample hole.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Requirement for the single post BendPak lift states 4" 3000 psi concrete requirement. Their 4 post lift states 3.5" 2500 psi requirement.

Does anyone know what would be typical for a garage? Would seem that the only way to tell for sure would be to drill a sample hole.

Typically a 4" floor would be 3 1/2" (most contractors in this area use 2 x 4's for forming). And many contractors, sadly, skimp on the 3 1/2".

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB, you got a connection for the Single post? Your 4 post guy kinda worked us on making us feel special, to only later offer that same price to everyone.

Let me know if you have someone who can hook me up on this!

Thanks!

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi