Lifts

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know we have discussed lifts over the past few years, but am unable to come up with any in the search mode. I am looking for a 2 posted lift that is capable of lifting the Viper to 6 or 7 feet with out having to drive onto any ramps. I have been looking at the ALM brand and it is close with a 4 3/4" bar height which leaves 1/4" of play. I have heard of Cytech, but don't have there #. Have any of you seen or have something that you are happy with. Thanks, Geoff Green

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are asking the near-impossible. Lifts are made to fit 99% of vehicles - the Viper is one of the 1% that normal design standards don't apply to. Buy an asymmetric twin-post and get some 2x10s. Otherwise, you'll have to chisel concrete to countersink the arms into the floor.

Do a web search for automotive lifts. They are all extremely competitive in price.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Benwill scissor lift. It can raise the car to a hight where the bottom of the wheels are 4 feet off the ground. Its great, but yes I have to drive over boards to get over the lift. Benwill was sold but I think it still exist near Los Angeles. Try 310 area code. I don't have the number

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have learned alot about lifts in the last few days. I have purchased what garages and suppliers of dozens of lifts have told me and that is a Mohawk A-7 asymmetric. Mohalk was the company that invented the asymmetric. The columns are made of 3/4" fork lift channel steel compared to 1/8" or 3/16" sheet steel of the others. It also has a hydraulic lift on each column instead of one for both columns and a cable to lift the other side. All roller bearings with canted columns so you can open your doors with it on the lift.

There are just too many features of this lift over all of the others. The best reason of all is that the arms with the lifting pads are only 4" high and easily fits under the Viper, without driving on to any wood. If you went with the 9,000lb instead of the 7,000lb the arms are only 3 1/2" high with the pads. They do cost more, but hold there value forever. They have a lifetime warranty.

Check out there web site for yourselves and compare. Geoff Green

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the Cytech lifts have hydraulic lifts that slide down the center? The advantage I see for the Mohawk lifts is that the tires hang freely so you can work on the suspension. I like the 4 post idea that Cytech implements, but if I can't get the car up off the ramps, the Mohawk would be my choice.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most 4 post lifts have an option of a jacking bridge that will allow you to remove wheels etc or to work with the suspension loaded. I wouldn't trade mine from Autolifters for any other. The bridge gives you the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The A-7 full asymmetric lift was $4,652.00. Installation was $350.00, freight was $168.00, custom hydraulic lines at any location across the ceiling so as not to interfere with lifting were $200.00, and custom lifting pads for the Viper (since the side sills are almost the same height as the frame) were $200.00. Total cost with tax was $5,904.20.

There is no cable going across the floor or ceiling between the posts like most other lifts. Most lifts will have a single hydraulic lift that does both sides via a cable across the floor or ceiling which tend to stretch. The twin piston cylinders for each column are 4" in diameter. What is also nice is that there are no moving parts that need to be maintained. They use 8 sealed bearings instead of plastic slide blocks that need to be greased. I don't really want to know this much about lifts, but I do now. I am sure that there are other very fine lifts, but this seemed to be the most well made that I came across. One of my criteria were to be able to drive onto the lift without blocks of wood to get me over the arms.

When I do not know enough about something I always take the recommendation of the most knowedgeable people I can find. I have wanted to buy a lift for a year, but there was never a clear cut choice for me. They either had this or that, but never both. This one may not have everything either, but it does have safety (built stronger than any other), clear working area, doors not hitting the lift and low profile of 4". I can also use it to lift my motorcycles. Call them and they will send you out a 20 page brochure. # is 800-833-2006.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, You are absolutely right. Now that I will have much easier access to the car, I plan on doing more work to it. Lowering it would be nice, but living in CT with roads that are less than perfect alot of the time, I may have to hold myself back on that. I am deciding what I want to do and in what order. I am going to put the 354 gears in and probably a better suspension. I would like more power, but have not decided how to achieve that yet.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a good choice.

As far as never needing wood blocks to drive onto - just remember that you still might need them if you ever think about lowering your car with aftermarket shocks or reduced height spring retainers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine