light weight flywheel with Roe blower?

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched and found a lot of different opinions on lightweight flywheels especially when it comes to drag racing. I do understand that the lighter flywheel looses momentum off the line but I was wonfering with all the torque the Roe makes if it would actually help to get off the line and then make the car quicker in turn. Just a thought but wanted to know what you guys and gals think.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most don't like an aluminum flywheel with a Roe. Seems to increase low speed "bucking" on the street.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be putting my Findaza on in the next few weeks. I'll post my observations regarding having a ROE and a lightweight flywheel.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most don't like an aluminum flywheel with a Roe. Seems to increase low speed "bucking" on the street.

That is simply not true. I 've never heard of a Roe increasing low speed bucking until this post. When I put the Fidanza on 50,000 miles ago, I did a little test. I was able to engage and move the car in 4th gear from a stop. It wasn't very hard to do at all. I have routinely started autocrosees in 2nd gear and can smoke the tires without difficuly from a stop. All Vipers can buck once in a while in low gear -- especially when cold. Because of the massive TQ, the Viper is the easiest stick vehicle I've ever driven. It's darn near impossible to stall it.....with or without a light flywheel. I have over 28,000 Roe miles since 2006

Our 01 ACR has a light flywheel, Roe, and 19" wheel package...making the rear gear ratio a 2.92. Absolutely no issues there either.

Steve

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is simply not true. I 've never heard of a Roe increasing low speed bucking until this post. When I put the Fidanza on 50,000 miles ago, I did a little test. I was able to engage and move the car in 4th gear from a stop. It wasn't very hard to do at all. I have routinely started autocrosees in 2nd gear and can smoke the tires without difficuly from a stop. All Vipers can buck once in a while in low gear -- especially when cold. Because of the massive TQ, the Viper is the easiest stick vehicle I've ever driven. It's darn near impossible to stall it.....with or without a light flywheel. I have over 28,000 Roe miles since 2006

Our 01 ACR has a light flywheel, Roe, and 19" wheel package...making the rear gear ratio a 2.92. Absolutely no issues there either.

Steve

I'm just repeating what I have been told by many who have switched back to stock when using a Roe for drag racing, that is all. This has been covered before on the boards with many different opinions.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Simms, but you really shouldn't pass on second-hand info when you don't have actual experience

I had the Fidanza on my car before the Roe, and after, and felt no difference at all

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Simms, but you really shouldn't pass on second-hand info when you don't have actual experience

I had the Fidanza on my car before the Roe, and after, and felt no difference at all

Here are just a few varying first hand experiences to read. Some like them, and some don't. The bucking I am refering too is explained best by 1TONY1 in one of the following threads. Keep in mind, I am not saying you shouldn't run one. I am just saying be aware some don't like them before you make your decision.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-best-flywheel-drag-strip-aluminum-steel.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/607635-aluminum-flywheel-worth.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/593287-aluminum-flywheels-consensus-please.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/591644-roe-blower-light-flywheel-asap-please.html

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The lighweight flywheel has only the tiniest difference with a huge 500ci engine. I couldn't notice any difference when I used an aluminium flywheel on my 3.0L Stealth V6 TT. I wouldn't expect to notice any difference on my 8L.

I realize that there is a slight hp gain, but for the money I don't think it's worthwhile. The gain is insignificant - so I have a stock flywheel on my Viper.

Ted

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $400 for my Fidanza flywheel in 2003. I don't drag race, but I noticed a SOTP feel on the first drive after install. HP had no bearing on my putting this on the car. I bought it more for throttle response (instant revs) and road tracks (better braking). I consider it not only one of the better mods I did, but one of the cheapest.

Steve

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fidanza Al flywheel install article with before and after dyno data; check difference in time to max hp

:drive:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And a little side chat about lightweight flywheels....

...unless you live at the track every other weekend, why would anyone care about a 'perceived' difference out of the hole? Personally, I've put lightweight flywheels on two cars now and recommend them whenever the topic comes up. We spend a lot more time rowing through the gears on the highway or when we find a twisty road. The lighter flywheels just make shifting so much nicer, especially on a modified car.

I know this last piece is really intangible, but the term that comes to mind is that it makes it feel more 'crisp' when you shift. Less float, just bucks into gear.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And a little side chat about lightweight flywheels....

...unless you live at the track every other weekend, why would anyone care about a 'perceived' difference out of the hole? Personally, I've put lightweight flywheels on two cars now and recommend them whenever the topic comes up. We spend a lot more time rowing through the gears on the highway or when we find a twisty road. The lighter flywheels just make shifting so much nicer, especially on a modified car.

I know this last piece is really intangible, but the term that comes to mind is that it makes it feel more 'crisp' when you shift. Less float, just bucks into gear.

Actually, I think the lighterweight flywheel's greatest advantage is better shifting.

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Been at least 20 minutes since I've said something dumb. Or asked a dumb question.

So if these are all they're said to be, why don't they put them on at the factory? Cost?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cost issues, slight driveability issues, maintenance (can't grind a lightweight flywheel) and only a very slight improvement in performance.

Ted

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost issues, slight driveability issues, maintenance (can't grind a lightweight flywheel) and only a very slight improvement in performance.

Ted

From the Fidanza site. Some may call it propaganda. I have 52,000 miles on mine, 28,000 with a blower. The friction surface is replaceable -- no grinding. Rock Auto has the stock Viper flywheel at $525. Chuck or Jon B may well be a little cheaper. I see the current Fidanza price at $415 where I got it.

As for drivability and performance, that is strictly opinion. I have found zero drivability issues. If the above flywheel article is to be believed, then a 10-12 HP gain for around $400 is $40 per HP. Relativelyy cheap HP in the Viper world. That doesn't take into account the added benefits of instant revs and less rotating mass for better braking on the track. The article also showed both max HP/TQ achieved considerably faster. To me, the SOTP difference was immediately noticeable.

I thought the new Viper had a lighter flywheel in it?

Steve

ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL

Our aluminum flywheels are made from the highest quality 6061 T6 aluminum. The material is fantastic for strength, heat dissipation and of course reduction in weight. The friction surface we use is an icredibly strong 1045 steel. The flywheel friction plates are milled to meet our high specifications. A Fidanza aluminum flywheel can mate with any type of clutch material, including organic, kevlar, ceramic, metallic and sintered iron. We attach the replaceable friction surface with military grade aerospace fasteners. With these replaceable friction plates there is no need to replace the entire flywheel when the clutch or flywheel is at the end of it's life, saving time and money. The ring gears we use are also made from 1050 steel and are heat treated for durability. The flywheel ring gears are heated then pressed on and secured with grade 8 button screws. We were the first to utilize a stepped dowel system in most of our flywheel applications. This doweling method ensures that once the pressure plate is installed the dowels cannot be removed because they become locked into place.
No chromemoly can compete with the awesome serviceablity, strength and superior design of Fidanza's aluminum flywheels. If there was a better material out there, we would be using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine