Lightest rims in 18 x 10 and 19 x 13?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only negative I ever noticed with my sidewinders was that the rear offset seemed to 'tuck' the rear tires inside the fender a little bit more -- I like the look when the tires are pushed out closer to the edge of the fenders.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unboxed my CCW SP16a's today. Little disappointed in the weights, about 23 pounds up front, 26 rear. That was with the center caps in, might be a bit lighter without 'em. On the plus side, the offsets were built how I wanted (1/4" less than stock), so I won't have to deal with spacers.

My data shows:
Stock 10 spoke wheels: 29 pounds front, 34 pounds rear
Stock Michelin runflats: 31 pounds front, 38 pounds rear
CCW SP16a wheels (stock 18x10 and 19x13 size): 23 pounds front, 26 pounds rear
Hoosier A6: 27 pounds front (315 or 335), 24 pounds front (285), 29 pounds rear (345)

That means I'll lose a total of (6 wheel + 4 tire), or 10 pounds/corner up front, and (8 wheel + 9 tire), or 17 pounds/corner out back. That's 54 pounds altogether, not too bad. If the 17lb. front weight for the Sidewinder is to be believed, those wheels with Hoosiers would be another 12 pounds lighter, for a total of 66.

The SRT-10 coupe I saw pics of from the Solo2 National Championship last year was running the 285's up front on Sidewinders, a theoretical 72lb. savings. Not sure the grip sacrifice from the smaller fronts is worth the weight savings though.

With the straight pipe cat-back exhaust, should be >100 pounds savings overall.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unboxed my CCW SP16a's today. Little disappointed in the weights, about 23 pounds up front, 26 rear. That was with the center caps in, might be a bit lighter without 'em. On the plus side, the offsets were built how I wanted (1/4" less than stock), so I won't have to deal with spacers.

My data shows:
Hoosier A6: 27 pounds front (315 or 335), 24 pounds front (285), 29 pounds rear (345)

That means I'll lose a total of (6 wheel + 4 tire), or 10 pounds/corner up front, and (8 wheel + 9 tire), or 17 pounds/corner out back. That's 54 pounds altogether, not too bad. If the 17lb. front weight for the Sidewinder is to be believed, those wheels with Hoosiers would be another 12 pounds lighter, for a total of 66.

The SRT-10 coupe I saw pics of from the Solo2 National Championship last year was running the 285's up front on Sidewinders, a theoretical 72lb. savings. Not sure the grip sacrifice from the smaller fronts is worth the weight savings though.

Great info Jason, thanks. Just as an FYI, the front 18 x 10 Sidewinder rim will accommodate a slightly wider tire in front. For example, the 2008 ACR will come stock with a 295/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire at the front.

/Rich

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, that isn't really a function of the rim design, just a function of how wide the OEM wants to go on a given width wheel. A 10" wide wheel can physically accomodate a tire quite a bit wider than 295. While at the outer limits of fitment wheel design can come in to play in for ease of mounting (as does sidewall stiffness and design variation between tires) we won't really be pushing those boundaries on the stock-sized front wheels, even with 315's. That's more for the guys putting 275's on 6.5" wheels and the like...:omg:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My data shows:

:needpics:

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, that isn't really a function of the rim design, just a function of how wide the OEM wants to go on a given width wheel. A 10" wide wheel can physically accomodate a tire quite a bit wider than 295. While at the outer limits of fitment wheel design can come in to play in for ease of mounting (as does sidewall stiffness and design variation between tires) we won't really be pushing those boundaries on the stock-sized front wheels, even with 315's. That's more for the guys putting 275's on 6.5" wheels and the like...:omg:

Jason -- thanks. I actually checked the spec sheet for the Sport Cups at Tirerack and it look like we might be out of luck to go with a 315 mm width rims on a 10'' wide rim. Looks like you may need to go to 10.5'':

Tire Specs for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup=

/Rich

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rich,
Those wheel width values are really just guidelines provided by the manufacturer and are not indicative of what you can actually do. Stock-class autocrossers, because of their unique rules which allow any-sized tire on stock-width wheels tend to push things to the "fat tire on skinny wheel" extreme. Even though these big tires do not fit "optimally" on the narrow stock-sized wheels, in the end, the cars are faster than if they were running tires that fit "better" but were narrower. For example, there are a few people running the 275/35-15 Hoosier A6 (9-11" sugg. width) on 6.5" wide wheels! There are tons of people running the 285/30-18 A6 (10.5-11.5" sugg. width) on wheels as narrow as 8", as 18x8 is a common OEM wheel size for "sporty" cars these days. Part of what allows autocrossers to get away with this is the fact that R-compounds like the Hoosier or Kumho V710 (also the Michelin PSC) generally have much much stiffer sidewalls than regular street tires, so when combined with an aggresssive alignment (plenty of negative camber), good contact patch control is maintained.

So, putting a 315 (11-12" sugg.) on a 10" wheel really isn't that out of line; in fact, I may even end up trying the 335 (12-13" sugg.) if I feel the front needs more grip than is provided by the 315's.

It should be noted too that autocrossers, when given freedom over wheel width in a higher-prepared class, will generally fit as wide a wheel as they can to "stretch" the tire out a bit and give a bit wider contact patch. For instance, on my last car, I ran those same 315/30-18's on 12.5" wide wheels, despite that being wider than the suggested range, because that was the width I felt the tire performed best.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They haven't made it to the garage yet...:)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason (or should I say Obi-wan), thanks for the information on tire fitment. Gorgeous rims by the way.

/Rich

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran my first event with the car sorta put together yesterday. The custom swaybar worked great, the car was a blast to drive with everything working. This is going to be a very interesting season. :)

Here's a few with the new wheels on the car. You'll have to forgive the half-absent center caps, I ran out of time to remove them all...

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason --

Congrats; the SP16s look great on the car. Let us know how they hold up in the heat of battle.:)

/Rich

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgeline VR1's are 18 front(11x18) and 19 (13x18)rear, you can also get the VR1R's which are even a bit lighter and a wider offset as well. According to their website they are discontinued, but if those are that light then there must be others close to them.

ar15kittykat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOPs, meant to respond in different thread of the CCW, either way, the CCW looks sweet.

Thanks j-rho,
The 23/26 f/r weights of the CCWs is about what John@CCW told me also, which is lighter than OEM, but not as light as the side winders, which is OK w/ me. As for the offset, you mean the CCW offset is 1/4" less than OEM equates to the wheel has moved to the outside 1/4" compared to OEM, and it fills out the fender well better. Please post or PM pics when you have it installed, thanks, Charles.