Reaction score
Chuck is on the list :(

I'm afraid he's right... look under:
GEORGE T TATOR & SONS INC DT
DBA TATOR'S DODGE
20 SPRING STREET SOUTH
SOUTH SALEM, NY 10590
CHARLES W TATOR

Those people are plain stupid. Forget Chuck or Vipers... just the fact that it's the oldest dealer they have makes it worth preserving.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad, looked under Tators Dodge.
Wishful thinking I guess...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I expected Chuck to be on the list, due to past issues and sales volume. I'm sure Chuck expected to be on it as well. The "oldest dealership" aspect might be worth following up on in the hope of getting a reprieve, but it seems unlikely to get anywhere unfortunately. Perhaps getting some media coverage of it might help? Otherwise, Chuck might need to look into getting involved in whatever other dealerships are doing currently, but that seems unlikely to work well either. Regardless, good luck Chuck, I hope something works out!

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the end of the World? What's to keep Tator's Dodge from becoming Tator's Service Center, an independent facility?

Nothing is stopping him, just some obstacles. Ability to sell new cars, be a parts dealer, and more expensive to get Mopar specialty tools, computer updates, etc

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the end of the World? What's to keep Tator's Dodge from becoming Tator's Service Center, an independent facility?

It has the same problems as with another other third party facility, they can't do warranty coverage. I heard an idea mentioned on TV recently, that some places could be made into licensed service facilities and not full-on dealerships, but whether any manufacturer is bothering with that, I don't know. I see a local Ford dealership that has several local service facilities (i.e., gives them better access across the county to their customers). Maybe Chuck could link up with the closest dealership being retained, and become an associated official service facility of theirs.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing is stopping him, just some obstacles. Ability to sell new cars, be a parts dealer, and more expensive to get Mopar specialty tools, computer updates, etc

There are plenty of service only facilities. Car sales have nothing to do with their business. If you look at cutting your losses and moving forward, is it more important to have the Wizard as a car salesman, or a leader in car servicing?

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of service only facilities. Car sales have nothing to do with their business. If you look at cutting your losses and moving forward, is it more important to have the Wizard as a car salesman, or a leader in car servicing?

I fully realize the SERVICE ONLY part. But if Dodge isn't backing him, he won't be getting a DODGE dealer price on parts, equipment, and like slaughterj said won't be able to do warranty work. So if he's not getting parts at Dodge dealer prices, he surely can't give any of us a Tator price.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully realize the SERVICE ONLY part. But if Dodge isn't backing him, he won't be getting a DODGE dealer price on parts, equipment, and like slaughterj said won't be able to do warranty work.

I don't think that's completely accurate (with regard to parts). I believe that you can be a Mopar authorized parts reseller. Doesn't Sean Roe do this?

Anyway, regardless, it COMPLETELY BLOWS! I feel for Chuck ... and his family who had/have so mich history invested in Dodge.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole situation does **** really bad... I'm sure that all of us who can, will stand behind Chuck if he decides to re-invent his business as a service center specializing in Vipers and other high-performance Mopars. There will definitely be tough times ahead, but he's got such a great reputation in the community that he'll be able to make it if we stand behind him. Let's also hope that the new Viper owner will make him an authorized repair facility and dealership - something that I think is a no-brainer. The buyer just has to step up to the plate pretty darn quick, though. That silence is causing us all a lot of grief.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it won't be easy, but I certainly don't consider this a "death blow" to Chuck. He'll gather himself, and resurface as an independent Viper service provider and still be the same Wizard we all know and love!

On the other hand, I see Savannah Dodge is on the list as well. Good riddance. They were a bunch of crooks and should've closed years ago. Dealerships like them closing is the one bright spot of this list. One less crooked dealership to rip people off!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer who has been very successful, Pearson Dodge amazingly got the ax. Apparently, if you were a standalone Dodge dealer without Jeep etc you were basically done.

My Viper tech of 15 years, Tim Harper one of the best in the country is there. It is a mile from my house--awful.

The idea of Chuck or anyone else being an "independent Viper service " outfit won't fly since presumably they won't being doing warranty work (assuming we still have warranties)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dealer who has been very successful, Pearson Dodge amazingly got the ax. Apparently, if you were a standalone Dodge dealer without Jeep etc you were basically done.

My Viper tech of 15 years, Tim Harper one of the best in the country is there. It is a mile from my house--awful.

The idea of Chuck or anyone else being an "independent Viper service " outfit won't fly since presumably they won't being doing warranty work (assuming we still have warranties)

It actually could work depending on how the sale of the Viper assets goes. The new owner is going to want to have experienced and established Viper techs in place, and the new owner will be taking over warranty responsibility for the cars.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole situation does **** really bad... I'm sure that all of us who can, will stand behind Chuck if he decides to re-invent his business as a service center specializing in Vipers and other high-performance Mopars. There will definitely be tough times ahead, but he's got such a great reputation in the community that he'll be able to make it if we stand behind him. Let's also hope that the new Viper owner will make him an authorized repair facility and dealership - something that I think is a no-brainer. The buyer just has to step up to the plate pretty darn quick, though. That silence is causing us all a lot of grief.

MARTIN...YOU DEALER is ON THE LIST!!!!!:omg: