Locking gas cap...

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many of us don’t particularly like the long tethered gas cap that comes on the SRT-10; what about the fact that the fuel filler door does not have an inside release or that there isn't a locking gas cap? Maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine but I've made a few calls in an attempt to remedy this--unfortunately to no avail. Dodge does not seem to have a locking gas cap listed through parts nor have I found any cross-referenced part numbers to aftermarket manufactures or suppliers. Does anyone know of a locking gas cap that will fit a Gen 3 Viper? Seems to be a difficult find so far. Thanks in advance.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question but why do you want a locking gas cap. They can have my gas as long as they don't put a mark on the paint :)

Lack of a cap "hook" on the filler dooor was a big miss though. I removed the tether so I can place the cap on the gas pump rather than let it hang and scratch the quarter panel. That aspect was definitely designed by someone who does not appreciate the Viper owner experience. Probably the same person who made the rocker panel a true "rock"er panel with no protection.

OP
OP
S

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper_SRT...

Actually--it's a damn good question. And the simple answer is, contaminant protection or the probable knowledge thereof. Pricks will be pricks ... but then, it's nice to know before you press that lil' red button. That’s my fool proof rationale anyway on having a locking gas cap and I'm sticking by it. :rolleyes: Now who's got that part number???

PS: Don't give away too much gas, as one needs a few gallons to spare with the thirst of SRT-10 ... the price ya pay for power. ;)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Try your local Autozone...see if the CST # 5791 will fit Gen III (it DOES fit GenI and II)...cost is about $10.00

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the thread 'SCLSSRT10 Awesome Silver Viper..." The fuel door has been replaced by a nice looking (maybe aluminum) race style filler. Maybe it locks too??

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure it is the same AF fuel door that I have...no lock. I agree about the cap, I could care less if someone takes my gas, I'm worried about someone putting something in!!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is parked where some one can dump a contaminate in your fuel tank and finds a locked gas cap, it's pretty easy for them to do ample damage to your car with a rock or key. So I am not going to worry about the gas cap.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I have a choice between something dumped in the gas tank or getting keyed, I'll take getting keyed. Paint work costs less than engine work.

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Autozone cap CST #5791 does NOT fit!! It is a screw type cap the SRT is a Bayonnet Type. I hope a locking cap becomes available. Let us know please. Bob S

OP
OP
S

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Autozone cap CST #5791 does NOT fit! It is a screw type cap the SRT is a Bayonnet Type. ...

Oh noooo...you'd think someone has to make a locking gas cap that will fit an SRT-10?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960